Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Is this battery matched?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this battery matched?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKKU9&P=0 Is this battery matched or w/e you call it? Would I except to see better performance out of this than my venom 3300 which is this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUK0&P=0

Also I was looking at this battery http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKUA5&P=0
but it says
REQUIRES: Charging for 16 hours at 330mA [sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Banned

Default RE: Is this battery matched?

ALso what is the difference perormance wise when batterys are like this .........
| |
| |
| |

or like this
__
__
__
__
__
__
Old 01-08-2006, 05:06 PM

i dont think you will see a major difference, they all are more or less what id consider to be sport packs. not bad by any means, but not matched team or world cells either. if you dont plan to race them club level or higher, there great. id go with the integy pack. that must be a typo on the charge rate cuz right below in the specs, it has listed "6A" , and im sure you dont have to charge it for 16 hrs. i think the biggest difference between sxs vs stick pacs are:

1. better coductivity on sxs, because the bars are of higher quality and more attention to the soldering.

2. maybe better cooling cuz their not all in a big shrink tube sleeping bag.

3. discharge trays with individual cell conditioning capabilities.

4??????anyone???????
Old 01-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Banned

Thanks for the help! I dont feel like building a sxs pack since I have a lack of knowledge on them. I may get the integy pack but I was confused on how they said to charge it for 16 hours. Whats the difference between a matched and unmatched pack? Is the integy a sport pack? I want some better punch with the integy pack as opposed to the venom. would this help? sorry for all these [sm=RAINFRO.gif] questions. When it comes to electronics I get lost......[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 01-08-2006, 06:09 PM

well, matched packs are made up of cells of equal (or close ) values. like avg voltage under load, and capacity. they are a little hotter because they are selected from batches because of their strength in these areas, then tested and grouped together as closely as possible by the numbers.
as far as the three packs listed in your 1st post here, the only ones that give any rating as far as avg voltage @ 30A, are the integy cells, so there must be some form of testing in an effort to produce that statement. so they may be better than the others that dont provide this.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:07 PM
My Feedback: (3)

The Integy is a matched pack (according to the specs, anyway). The reason they say to charge it for 16 hours at 330 mah for the first time is to make sure all of the cells get equally full. You won't have to do it every time - just once in a while but it is a very good idea to do it with any new pack (matched or not) for it's first charge.

The reason to slow charge it the first time is that not all of the cells will have the same charge after having gone flat while sitting unused in stock. When you charge a battery every cell accepts charge until it reaches it's full capacity - any energy that goes into it after that is converted to heat. If you slow charge it the cells that get full first can dissipate their extra heat without getting too hot while the other cells finish getting full. That way all of the cells are equally full when the charge is complete. If you try to charge it fast the first time it could overheat individual cells and damage them before the battery finishes it charge. (You should never let a NIMH battery get over about 130 degrees F during charging to prevent damage.)

The Integy is definitely a better pack than the Venom - they use better quality cells. There are two main reasons people recommend the side by side packs. The first is that it can be discharged in a discharge tray (the purpose being that all of the cells can then start the charge cycle at exactly the same voltage - this results in a better charge and more punch). The second is that more of the cell is exposed to the air compared to a stick pack (which is covered in heat shrink with end caps) - this means that it stays cooler while running and cools faster after the run.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:51 PM

holy cow your right. it says it right there. its funny cuz it says it like 3-4 times! LOL! thanks for not nuking me on it zaphod. i guess its probably good for me to feel like a retard at least once a day. and also jdm should thank you for catching it, i would!

moral to this thread, the only thing that is gauranteed to a person too smart learn anything new,,,,,is that he will never learn anything new!

xxt
Old 01-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Banned

Hmmmm I'll try the integy pack! Thanks for the help, this stuff makes a lot more sense. I honestly never knew the first time charging a pack, it is recommened to charge it for that long. Now would it be worth putting deans plugs on this battery? I shouldn't have too worry about discharging a pack after it's near dead after a run, would I?
ORIGINAL: zaphod42

The Integy is a matched pack (according to the specs, anyway). The reason they say to charge it for 16 hours at 330 mah for the first time is to make sure all of the cells get equally full. You won't have to do it every time - just once in a while but it is a very good idea to do it with any new pack (matched or not) for it's first charge.

The reason to slow charge it the first time is that not all of the cells will have the same charge after having gone flat while sitting unused in stock. When you charge a battery every cell accepts charge until it reaches it's full capacity - any energy that goes into it after that is converted to heat. If you slow charge it the cells that get full first can dissipate their extra heat without getting too hot while the other cells finish getting full. That way all of the cells are equally full when the charge is complete. If you try to charge it fast the first time it could overheat individual cells and damage them before the battery finishes it charge. (You should never let a NIMH battery get over about 130 degrees F during charging to prevent damage.)

The Integy is definitely a better pack than the Venom - they use better quality cells. There are two main reasons people recommend the side by side packs. The first is that it can be discharged in a discharge tray (the purpose being that all of the cells can then start the charge cycle at exactly the same voltage - this results in a better charge and more punch). The second is that more of the cell is exposed to the air compared to a stick pack (which is covered in heat shrink with end caps) - this means that it stays cooler while running and cools faster after the run.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:12 AM

I always use Deans plugs - I've actually melted down the standard plugs before. The beauty of a NIMH pack is that it doesn't develop a discharge memory so it doesn't need to be discharged after each run. Once in a while I would recommend running the pack down to about 0.9 volts per cell (5.4 volts for a 6 cell pack) and then slow charging it again to reequalize the cells. Don't run the pack down to the point where the vehicle won't move anymore - you take a risk of damaging the cells if you discharge below about 0.8 volts per cell.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: zaphod42

I always use Deans plugs - I've actually melted down the standard plugs before. The beauty of a NIMH pack is that it doesn't develop a discharge memory so it doesn't need to be discharged after each run. Once in a while I would recommend running the pack down to about 0.9 volts per cell (5.4 volts for a 6 cell pack) and then slow charging it again to reequalize the cells. Don't run the pack down to the point where the vehicle won't move anymore - you take a risk of damaging the cells if you discharge below about 0.8 volts per cell.
Thats good to know. I will get rid of the tamiya plugs. Thanks again [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-09-2006, 12:52 AM

yeah use deans, what motor are you running?

no offense but all venom stuff in my oppinion is total junk [:'(]

www.boomboombatteries.com for some great cheap batteries
Old 01-09-2006, 12:56 AM
Banned

I have a trinity speed gem extreme 13x3 that will be replaced by team orion revolution motor 13x2 or peak vantage 13x2. http://www.boomboombatteries.com/pro...12&subgenre=25 the batteries shown (ib3800) do they need a special charger? or can you charge them with the nicd/nimh charger.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:12 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: sl4ppinb4ss3r

yeah use deans, what motor are you running?

no offense but all venom stuff in my oppinion is total junk [:'(]

www.boomboombatteries.com for some great cheap batteries
Cheap batteries?NO.Cheap price?YES.Boom Boom batteries has some of the best batteries on the market today!At the best prices too.Cheak out this review....
http://www.beatyourtruck.com/prodreview-IB3800.html

As far as the charger,witch charger do you have?Normally any NIMH charger will work but there are alot of chargers out there that just arent up to the job.Trust me on this, you want a good charger.It will save you loads on the long run on batteris and the hassle.So tell whitch one you have now and if its not up to it I will recomend you one in your budget(need that too)

Good luck!
Skyler
Old 01-09-2006, 05:34 PM

They are standard NIMH cells so any charger that will do NIMHs can handle them.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Banned

Wrong.These cells are high quality.So the charger MUST have a adjustable Delta peak cutoff for it uses a lower value then all other packs.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:35 PM

I agree that you need to keep an eye on how hot they get toward the end of the charge but you don't HAVE to have adjustable delta just to charge them. It's nice to have a high dollar adjustable charger but not everyone can afford one.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:38 PM

Who wants to watch their battery these days?
What should the cutoff be at for these IB's?
Old 01-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Banned

So this charger would do fine charging the ib3800 battries from boom boom?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCLD5&P=ML
I would like to leave my battries alone and not watch them........
Old 01-10-2006, 07:11 AM
My Feedback: (1)

JDMKyosho,
Yes, that charger would work great. I'm the owner of Boom Boom Batteries, so if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or e-mail!
Alex
Old 01-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Banned

Yes like Elmo said that charger is perfect.(I would have recomended it myslef).You shouldnt use no higher then 5mV a cell (30mV).I use 4mv to keep the cells from getting over 100F.Certain chargers like the DTX Intelpeak Pulse charger have a set Mv at....hmmm let me see here.WOW!8mV.Sat bye to you new packs on the first charge.Now when your tossting your pack between hands to avoid burnes.....that charger wont work.Now the charger Elmo recomended you can adjust it to 4-5mV a cell and dont have to baby sit your charger for 45min while it charges.

Good luck!
Skyler
Old 01-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Banned

Alright thanks guys! Most likely I'll buy the ib3800s soon.....