Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

getting a Novak SS5800 *Edit* I got a GTB

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting a Novak SS5800 *Edit* I got a GTB

well ever since I drove my TA-05 at school and this complete idiot chased it and hung onto the wing of the car my esc has been all weird. Whenever I drive it it works for about 10 seconds and then it stops. It won't go foward or backward but the steering servo still works and the indicator light is still on. Since I got the esc when tower had the get it free if your order totals so and so much which was like a year ago its out of waranntee and since the esc is the Duratrax Intellispeed Auto sport and costs only $37.99 on tower it doesn't make sense to get it repaired. So since I anyway wanted to buy a better esc and motor I started to look at brushless but the 200+ price tag wasn't so sweet so I decided to get the remanufactored ss5800 from novak for 164.99. how fast do you think this setup will go? and could I run the velocity 5.5 or 6.5 or 4.5 on it? what about the neo lineup? also what about gearing? thanks!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:01 PM

Default RE: getting a Novak SS5800

ok nevermind. I saw that i could get a GTB for 170 and then get a neo 4 star for 85 so I'm just gonna order the GTB and then make another order for my emaxx parts and the neo. It will work, this neo: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLUK4&P=7
and the GTB? what about gearing? if you know anything please post really quickly cause I need to order today since the $25 off $150 ends today! and this way with two orders I save $50, not bad huh? thanks!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:44 PM

ok after convincing my mom that it was stupid to buy another cheap esc which I would just replace with a better one due to the slowness of it I got her to ok me ordering a GTB! So sometime at the end of this week UPS will deleiver a GTB, venom temp guage (for the rest of my savys break in) and a XXXXXXL Futaba T-shirt (it's gonna be like a dress for me but hey it was free!). I couldn't convince her that the motor I had now (team orion method 19T) was junk so she said I had to keep it till I saved up some more. This is gonna be ridicolos a $170 esc next to a POS $15 motor! lol I'm still gonna get my savy upgrades when the break in is done but my emaxx will have to wait a while for its parts []. I gave it a hug and I think it forgives me, lol. As soon as I can I'll order the Neo 4 star and see what the Ta-05 can really do! damn I'm so excited! funny though my mom basically called my TA-05 a money hole piece of plastic junk! she didn't really get that it was the speed control that was broken not the car so she was upset that the car she'd bought me for xmas was broken but she seemed to get that I wanted the GTB and that it was senseless to try and talk me out of it so...
Old 01-31-2006, 09:51 PM

I probably don't have to say this, but make sure you do exactly as the instructions say. You have to go through this sequence thing with the LEDs to put it into "brushed motor" mode. If it's not done right it will fry that ESC and I don't think Novak will cover it [].

That cars gonna fly with brushless in it! You won't regret it man! I just took my novak 5800 outta my stampede and put it in my HPI rs4 sport 2 last night, and let me say it's faster than my driveway can facilitate!
I think I could smell rubber burning!
Old 01-31-2006, 10:01 PM

yeah I'm hoping for speeds of 40-50 mph but after my letdown of my intellispeed and orion motor (I expected 30 ish but got like 20) I'm trying not to get my hopes up although it's hard. After I get the GTB no one is gonna drive my TA-05 unless that person is me! none of my friends are even touching it! I'll let them drive the emaxx (like my friend George who can actually drive R/C's) cause they get the "you break it you replace it" rule and they're careful but no matter ow careful the GTB is off limits!
Old 01-31-2006, 10:05 PM

I don't know about numbers on speed. But it felt fast as hell, enough that I was worried about crashing it. It was completely dark outside with minimal lighting. What a rush!
Old 01-31-2006, 10:37 PM

oooo now I'm really excited! I'm shaking in my chair! should've gotten express shippin... []
Old 02-01-2006, 10:05 AM

Default RE: getting a Novak SS5800 *Edit* I got a GTB

with a neo4 and a good pack, expect 55-60mph with monstrous acceleration. i have runned a GTB/velocity 5.5 on my TB02 and if i don`t get easy on the throttle it will almost wheelie! [wrecked that beautifull Raybrig body with this] LOL!
Old 02-01-2006, 07:41 PM

wait doesn't the neo need a little plug for the sensor? I don't see this slot anywhere on the GTB... anybody know the gearing I need for the GTb/ neo and should I keep the gearing the same if I use the same motor or can the speed increase using a different esc? and the GTB comes with a tamiya and bullet connectors right? thanks!
Old 02-01-2006, 08:38 PM

both the neo and the velocity are sensor-based motors. the GTB has a series/line of pins at on of its` sides, which are used to connect the 3-pole sensor-driving wires to the motor.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:58 PM
My Feedback: (34)

ORIGINAL: R/C fan-addict

ok funny though my mom basically called my TA-05 a money hole piece of plastic junk! she didn't really get that it was the speed control that was broken not the car so she was upset that the car she'd bought me for xmas was broken but she seemed to get that I wanted the GTB and that it was senseless to try and talk me out of it so...
My mom's the same way. She tells me that whenever i go out i break something else, but i keep telling her that plastic gear servo's break.

Maybe when the next tower hobbies deal comes, i'll buy a bl system.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:20 PM

well I told her that I could buy another crappy $50 system and just be upset with the speed. Then she asked if I could buy something more in the range of $100. I told her that there are no bl esc out there for only $100 and that if I got an esc that could handle a low turn brushed motor I'd need to replace brushes a lot and that the cost of either a comm cutter or a LHS cut was going to add up and bite me in the butt. I didn't mention that I could get a whole bl system for only $165 (novak SS5800 remanufactored) but I really wanted all out speed so... although the $145 price after the money off really hurts... []
Old 02-03-2006, 01:59 PM

damn you UPS! they still haven't gotten the tracking # up and they keep driving past my house so I think it'll come but it doesn't... toweer estimated 2/7-2/9 for arrival but they always get it way earlier so I'm kind of expecting it tomorrow... and when it comes I'm gonna have an R/C day with my friend. (R/C day means do nothing but R/Cing) he has a TA-03R which I'll blow the doors off! hehehe
Old 02-04-2006, 06:15 PM

woohoo! the GTB has arrived! I still haven't installed it yet since the brushed motor diagram looks scary... . I think I'm just gonna say screw it and get a brushless motor now instead of waiting a bit. I also think that before I solder on all the tamiya and bullet connectors I might just switch to deans. I also saw that the novak 5800 motor is rated @ 5.8 kv per volt so I'm thinking while I don't know the exact specs on the 4.5R is must be a good deal faster. The neo 4 star is rated at 6.5kv per volt so I think the 4.5 is faster... In which case I'll just get the 4.5. Also the GTB has about 20 feet of wire and since on my TA-05 the power wires won't have to reach very far can I just trim them a bit? thanks
Old 02-04-2006, 06:39 PM

yeah getting rid of any excess wire is a good idea. consider hard-wiring the motor to the ESC once you get it (no bullet connectors). Having connectors between motor and ESC will add resistance and will really hurt performance (ESPECIALLY those standard-type bullet connectors). I'm waiting on dean's plugs right now to put on my batteries, I hope it makes a difference compared to the old school tamiya plugs.

It feels good to see that someone else is a little intimidated by the novak instructions-- One look at that "advanced setup" sheet and I was thinkin [sm=confused.gif] havin ADD sucks!
Old 02-04-2006, 06:59 PM

It was the very first thing I soldered... Very easy... don't let the looks fool you...
http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...95/Ge96061.jpg
My setup... And to me it looks like someone like Matt Francis soldered my stuff
The laying everything out (ESC Cap Motor Transponder....) was harder than the soldeing itself
Old 02-04-2006, 07:11 PM

nice setup Doahh-- I really need to shorten the wires on my ss5800. It comes prewired and the wires are really frickin' long.

You don't have any range problems or glitching with everything that close together? with my system I've got the radio stuff WAY in the front and the ESC WAy in the back and still have glitching from about 60 feet out. I've checked EVERYTHING and it makes no sense. It didn't do it before I went brushless either.

Are you using FM or AM? I'm using a futaba 2PL transmitter (75mhz AM).

THANKS
Old 02-04-2006, 11:04 PM

well deans says there plugs have less resistance than the equal length 12 gauge wire so I think I'll solder on some of those just so that I don't need to unsolder the wire if I ever need to replace my motor.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:09 PM

ok I found out that the velocity 4.5R motor is faster than the 4 star so I think I'll order that but my mom is getting pissed that I'm spending a lot of money on R/C's so I might have to convince her that I might as well return the GTB cause they reason I bought it is to use BL on it and if I'm stuck with the method motor I might as well save my self $100 and return the GTB and buy another intellispeed! I got my temp guage installed on my savy and decided that the radio tray was annoying and since I lost the radio cover I'd make something myself. So I took out the battery and mounted it between the bulkhead and front skid and velcroed and zip tied it down (I think I'll just charge it in the car). Then I put the failsafe where the reverse servo goes (if you have one). Then I dremeled away part of the throttle servo mount and got the receiver in where my batt. used to be (when I dremeled the plastic started to melt and smoke, 40,000 rpm!) then I'm gonna buy a piece of 8x12 lexan and make a little cover that will be flat and just drill a few holes in it and I have a radio cover! Then I'm also getting an integy aluminum attena mount to hold the atenna. Oh and yesterday I hooked up the GTB to my battery and the LEDs and fan went on! looks really intimidating! hehehe! DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I SHOULD GEAR THE GTB WITH THE 4.5???? would 2 teeth down on the pinion work? thanks!
Old 02-09-2006, 06:12 PM

I'd say at LEAST 2 teeth. and watch yer temp. Good luck
Old 02-09-2006, 06:41 PM

thanks! I think I'll take my temp guage out of my savy for the first few runs to watch the esc temps. Should I get a heatsink for the motor?
Old 02-09-2006, 06:44 PM

yes indeed. it will really help. pick one with built-in fan. they can drop the temperature by 10-20 F.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:44 PM
My Feedback: (34)

bl aren't supposed to run very hot. I would say drop 3-4 teeth. 2 isn't much when it comes to that much difference i motor power.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:01 PM

my ss 5800 runs a lot cooler than any brushed motor I've ever had. it could be the fact that I don't have deans connectors yet.
I think that may be limiting my setup. that and the glitching.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:52 PM

don't get a fan for the motor... they weigh too much...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.