Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Carbon Fiber Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Chassis

OK hear is the Question to you good folks .If i was to make my own chassis out of carbon fiber for my e rusty. What thickness should i use for a good balance of weight and strength? Please help thanks any thing more i might need to know please feel free to tell me .
Thanks
Old 02-18-2006, 05:40 PM

Default RE: Carbon Fiber Chassis

nothing thinner tham 3.5mm would be strong enough to take a good bashing and then with all the bashing and hits the chassis will be as tweaked as hell
Old 02-18-2006, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just measured my rc10 graphit chass i had laying around its a tank havent briken it yet and ive bashed the heck out of it

its 4.o9 mm so id start there(measured it with my digital micrometer)
Old 02-18-2006, 05:48 PM

ok thanks will start looking . Have you heard anything about G-10 would it work? i am doing this all for fun. I will build a new chassis but if the stuff i use does not work well . i have spent money on worse investments
Old 02-18-2006, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

havent heard of it the chassis on my rc10 is actualy made by asscoiated its actualy not on my car right now cause its sposed to be rare (i dont want to mess it up)
Old 02-18-2006, 05:58 PM

i dont blam you if i had something rare in i would not install it . as i drive like crap and it would just get trashed .I will post what i know about g-10 in a seconde
Old 02-18-2006, 06:06 PM

ok hear is some of what i have found on g-10(garolite,micarta)
G-10 Glass/Epoxy Sheet
(yellowish to light green) The most versatile all-around laminate, G-10 or FR4 grade is a continuous glass woven fabric base impregnated with an epoxy resin binder. G10 has extremely high mechanical strength, good dielectric loss properties, and good electric strength properties, both wet and dry.
You can get it in colors also . so the baby puke color that they state is just one color .hear is a link to the specs
[link=http://phenolic-sheets-rods-tubes.com/data%20sheets/Acculam-technical-data.htm]g-10 specs[/link] maybee you can tell me [:-]
Old 02-18-2006, 07:06 PM
Banned

Good plans! How you going to make the chassis.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:24 PM

thought i would start by using the original as the template . as for cutting it trial and error . i can use stand offs for the top deck maybe or just do something totally different . i don't know yet as i tend to let things unfold as i go . Don't get me wrong i have ideas but they always change as the projects get going . any ideas would be great .
Old 02-18-2006, 07:35 PM

G10/FR4 is super cheap. I would definantly use that first. Then convert it to CF if you like the results. It's a lot heavier and more flexible then CF. FR4 is what circuitboards are made out of.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:54 PM

I knew they made circuit boards out of g-10 and there is a guy who sells a shock tower made out of it also . i think i will try it first like you say. besides carbon is real high right now.
hay i noticed you live in euless tx do you shop at roys hobby shop on norwood i think it is . I shop at all lhs as i drive all over town for my job . Maybe run in to you some time . Thanks for your time
Old 02-18-2006, 08:03 PM
My Feedback: (1)

g10 would be fine for a test chassis, but its too much like fiberglass to be a useful choice for a real chassis.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:21 PM

so options are G-10 as test platform . carbonfiber,graphite,aluminum, any other materials to throw in the mix gang as a permanent chassis material