Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

I need an ESC recommendation.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need an ESC recommendation.

Yeah, I know there are lots of threads on this, but I'm ESC ignorant. I'm a nitro guy myself and just want to get my boy's Rustler good enough for him to start racing. I need to buy him an ESC but I have NO idea what to look for.

Here's what I want:

1.) He doesn't need a fast motor. He will stick with the Stinger for probably another year. When he is ready to go fast, he will either go nitro or brushless.

2.) Brakes. Gotta have em. Don't want reverse unless I can disable it for racing and enable it for practice - is that possible on some ESC's?

3.) Do any ESC's have a programmable acceleration curve? Like, if on a slick track you could program only so many amps in order to minimize tire spin?

4.) Cost. I don't want to spend $150 for an ESC. $50 would be great. $75 wouldn't be too bad. $100 - well - I'd have to think about it.

Thank you for your assistance.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:08 PM

Default RE: I need an ESC recommendation.

The novak XRS would be a good choice. It's relativly cheap has brakes and can handle 15t motors.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Banned

duratrax streak 40 dollars and handles down to 12. Goodbang for buck imo.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: jdmkyosho

That or the dura trax intelli speed would be my choice too.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: raz54

ORIGINAL: jdmkyosho

That or the dura trax intelli speed would be my choice too.
I've heard some problems about the intellispeed line of ESC's, but I'm not sure if it is true or not seeing I've never personally had one. I'd get the Tekin Rebel II, so just in case he does decide to get a lower turn motor before going brushless or nitro, he doesn't have to get a new ESC.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Banned

Well, as being a nitro guy you this hobbys isnt cheap.You probly know that if you buy cheap, you buy again.So before you get going throwing money in a pit let me explain some stuff to you.

First yes, there are speedos(ESC,Speedcontrol,ect) that have lockout reverse.However most of the high end ones have no reverse whatsoever.There are also other ones you can program a curve in.Others have smart ones like the LRP Quantam Comp.2.It has 5 profiles for diffrent kind of racing.

Now, if you want you son to (stay out of the way), a rustler is not going to do it.Dont get me wrong is it a VERY strong basher truck.It just misses all the charistics of a race truck.I would recomend you getting him a kit.I know it will be more to start, but you will just endup throwing money into the rusty(Traxxas Rustler) and see no diffrence cuase its not ment to do that stuff.I recomond aomthing like Losi(Teamlosi) XXX-T Matt Franis 2 or AE(Team Associated) T4.(PLEASE DO NOT START A AEvLOSI THREAD).Also its wont be hard at ALL to built wih you guidence.Just dont build it for him.Losi suppsenly has the best manual but you might see diffrent.

Now on to the speedos.As mentions before.Buy cheap, buy again.Theres two main companies making good quality speedos.Novak and LRP.Both make great ones.Its pretty much up yo you, orange or blue (Novak Orange/LRP Blue).Expect to to spend 100-150$ on one.Remember, if you buy a 79$ one now.ANd in the futre relize you need something better and 150$ well be lot more after the 79$I recomend either the Novak GTX, or the LRP QC2 (as said before)You should go tho the manufactoring website and download the manual via PDF files and rea through them.Look at the diffrerecnt features and make the choice base on you fell good about.Remember this, a good esc should last you almost a decade before you have to upgrade.

If oyu dont already have them tools are a must.There are more then one members on here that will agree with this method.

PS that Stonger wouldnt last 5 runs before putting out.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:29 PM

lositrackpunk is right, racing isnt cheap and there is no cheap way around it. hes also right about a different truck, a rusty is a great basher and the ae and the losi are great racers.

also if u get a new truck id consider keeping the rusty. i live in southeast southdakota which isnt too far from where u live and the weather kind of forces u 2 own a basher
Old 02-22-2006, 02:35 AM

Get a Futaba MC230CR. It's just under $50. It has a reverse function but you can disable it when ever you want. The MC230 has a 20T motor limit. Replace the battery and motor wires to 12 gauge and install a power capacitor which will cost extra $4. The MC230 will perform better and motor limit will go down to 17T. I did that. It's proven.

Old 02-22-2006, 04:39 AM

lositrackpunk, thanks for your information. Yes, I am very aware that racing isn't cheap. Man, do I know that . Anyway, the Rusty is the entry level vehicle I chose for him. My goal is for him to learn control - steering and throttle. As soon as he can show me that he can control the Rusty well on a track - with traffic - I will buy him a nitro vehicle. The same with his brother.

This is the reason I don't really want to spend $150 on an ESC right now. I know that this truck will simply get shoved in the closet when he moves on.

The other thing I want him to learn is that racing isn't cheap. If he decides it is time to go faster, he will have to work out a way to earn the money to upgrade!

I think I'm leaning towards the Intellispeed ESC's. I may look into that Futaba first, though.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:43 AM

You know what sounds PERFECT for you, the mamba 1/10 brushless system. It's not out yet, and will be a little expensive, but you can program MANY features such as braking strength, acceleration, how much power you want to use, and many others, all from the computer.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Banned

Well im not here to force you to do anythitng.SOOOO if you still like that road then yea I would have to recomend the Intellpeaks.Theres also Novaks and LRPS in that pricerange also.

letmesee.......

Yeap.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLTY2&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKSB1&P=7