Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Single 550 motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single 550 motor

I tried the search, and didn't seem to find what I was looking for, so I'll ask.

Ok, here's the deal.

I want to run a 2wd with a single 550 motor and an ESC designed for an e-maxx, ezilla, etc in it. I want to run it with 12 cells. I figure that a lightweight 2wd Monster, running 1/2 the motor of an E-maxx, with the full power behind it should get crazy run times. Another reason I want to go this route, is from what I understand, the 14.4 volt, 550 system runs a LOT cooler then whatever size it was they normally run, which is important if I manage to pull some crazy long run time out of this.

Now what I am worried about is this. What's going to happen when I do this? I figure one of two things.

A) The motor draws the same power from the batteries, getting 2x the run time of 2 motors.
B) The motor draws 2x the power, getting normal run times and obliterating the transmission.

However, my knowledge of ESCs is pretty out of date, the last ESC I bought was a Super Rooster right after it came out.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do this or persue other R/C options with my tax return, but man, wouldn't it be cool to slap that in a Lunch Box.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:10 PM
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Single 550 motor

Depending upon gearing and weight, the runtime can be double because of the double batteries or it can be made to have twice the power. It is going to fall somewhere in between, but slightly less than double power/runtime because of the increased weight.
I would estimate the increase top be around 70-80%
Old 02-28-2006, 08:19 PM
My Feedback: (34)

If i read a post in the other forum and it was about the blackfoot(????) then you don't really have to worry about the tranny if it's greased and if you can get ahold of a "wide pinion" or something of that sort, i bet that would be awesome, because the power transfer on that wide spur in there would pretty much guarantee flawless tranny, that's all from my experience with that gearbox. You will get very good power and about 10mins more runtime depending on batts and motor. Sounds like a cool idea. I ran a 550 on 7.4v and it was crazy never mind on 12 cells.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:21 PM

Yea, I know that much. But how would it be, using an E-Maxx style ESC? I believe it's design to run Batteries for the higher power, and the motors to both get full punch instead of sharing the punch, is that correct? I don't know how that thing is wired.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:26 PM
My Feedback: (34)

Both motors get 14.4v
Old 02-28-2006, 08:31 PM

Eeeeeeexcellent...[sm=lol.gif]
Old 02-28-2006, 11:57 PM

don't get the EVX or the Ezilla ESC cause both cost at least $100 and for $140 you can get this: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJAC0&P=7
Old 03-01-2006, 02:05 AM

kyosho perfex ka-6, apex truck twin , hotbodies e-zilla GT, novak heavy duty XR, mtronics S4 supertruck . i have owned every single one of them and all of them are much more reliable than the EVX [which i also have owned]. the mtronics S4 supertruck has quite good specs and it is waterproof right out of the box, but its a bit pricey [around 100$]. the novak XR [what rc-fan posted] is an overkill if you are just going to be using it with standard 23t 550s, since its specs are made for much hotter motors, and its really expensive [around 150$]. the kyosho perfex ka-6 and the apex twin truck are identical [just different stickers], will suit your purposes and needs, and they are quite cheap [around 60-70$], but it is a little tricky to waterproof them due to their small heatsinks. the big bang for the buck is the HB GT which costs around 50-60$ [not 100$ !], it is a piece of cake job to waterproof [a couple of drops of silicone to the rear part of the ESC`s case], and with proper cooling [fan] it can handle down to dual 17T 550 motors along with 14cells. its internal resistance is even lower than the novak XR`s [which costs 90-100$ more]: 0.0009 ohms. at ebay you may find it for less than 40$.

currently i run my stampede on 12 cells [the 6cell standard stick packs fit perfectly at vertical position], using the ezilla`s esc and a johnson 550st drill motor. i get around 20-25 minutes of runtime with ib3600s and very nice torque and speed [estimating around 25-30mph].
Old 03-01-2006, 02:27 AM

Cool. Thanks for the info Kostaktinos. I'll look into them, then. I found where you posted that info somewhere else. I plan on dropping one of those drill motors in as well.

In order to not make my pocketbook scream like a banshee, I'm planning on doing this in two stages.

First, getting the Blackfoot up to snuff. Out of the box, it's a good truck, but I don't think it's quite ready for that kind of action. Switching to turnbuckles and oil shocks for starters. Throwing in some bearings. I plan on running IB 3800's from Boom boom batteries.

I figure with that, it'll give me some time to murder the silver can while I figure out a good way to mount the second battery.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:18 AM

Yeah go with the super duty XR by Novak...
Single motor limits @ 10 12 or 14 cells: None (550 size only)
That's a good sign =)