Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

LRP Sphere Power Capacitor info

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 01:41 PM
drd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LRP Sphere Power Capacitor info

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the specs are for the power capacitor that is included in the LRP Sphere "cooling set".

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLXS2&P=FR

It's included if you buy the kit but I don't need the fan. Just the power capacitor. And in the past, I've found that power caps vary depending on the ESC itself. Does anyone have one with some numbers on it? Or some documentation?

Thanks!
Dustin
Old 04-09-2006, 02:01 PM

Default RE: LRP Sphere Power Capacitor info

I run the novak one, it has more capacitance I believe..... I had a tough time getting an answer from AE about the capacitor. The Novak one I run works very well........ and towerhobbies has the specs for it.

[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKKN2&P=7[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71473.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	441948  
Old 04-09-2006, 02:08 PM
drd

Great info! Thanks.

Did you notice any different in performance with the power cap vs w/o the power cap?

I've dumped a couple of packs through my T4 w/ a neo one star (wheelie king when I can get the power down to the ground) and sometimes, it feels a little sluggish out of a corner. Like it takes a split second for the motor to get full power.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:18 PM

Mostly a difference of a couple degrees cooler temps at the esc, a power cap is not as noticeable as you would think. They do a better job of keeping the temps down than they do actually supplying usefull power.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is involved in installing one of those, im pretty good at soldering if that is wahats required... i was thinking about using one on my mft with a sphere...
\
Old 04-09-2006, 04:07 PM

The pic you can see the leads coming out of the cap, I simply slid some small diameter shrink tubing over them and bent them to where I needed them (esc + and -) soldered them on and put a little double sided tape on the cap to hold it down. I obviously pulled the novak decal off and put an LRP decal on it.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:06 PM
drd

Good move on the Novak decal removal. Looks slick like that. I'll be the copycat.