Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

GTB & Velociti 4.5R

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTB & Velociti 4.5R

Anybody got one? I'm thinking of putting this set up in and old TF-2 that'll handle it. I like the price, and I'm looking to get this thing moving as fast as possible, if anyone has that set up, let me know how it does, and if anyone has suggestions that don't cost my soul, I'm willing to check it out. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:43 PM
moz

Default RE: GTB & Velociti 4.5R

i have a 4.5 in my xxx s and it hauls. I also have a 5.5 in my xxxt and a 5.5 in my xxx4 g + . I bash the heck out of them and have no problems. SO far they are well worth the money. Go to tower and use the sale they got going on. YOu can get a 4.5 system for about 110,
Old 04-14-2006, 09:54 PM

I wish I had 110 right now, I just spent my money a yesterday, I had to finish a plane, but in a couple weeks I'll get it, hopefully they'll still have a good sale going.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:06 PM

I just got my Stampede up to 45.8 mph yesterday using the 4.5 GTB. I'm was using a GP4300 battery pack with 19/87 gearing. That was way overgeared because it got very got! I usually run it with 15/87 (until I get a 14 or 13 tooth pinion) and that allows me to not get too hot while giving me plenty of speed and torque. I love it!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:12 PM

Getrdone, what did you change in your setup to get it to go at 45.8? The last time we talked it was going at 43mph with the same gearing (19/87).
Also, the last time you were describing the temperature as warmish/a lil hot but now it's "very hot"? (BTW is it the motor, ESC, or both that get very hot now?) Is it because your weather has seen VERY increased temperatures lately?
I'm trying to gather up as much info as I can on the 4.5 combo since I'm planning to get it in the near future (for my evader bx pro).
Old 04-18-2006, 12:44 PM

Wow, if it works that well in a monster truck I can't wait to see what it can do in a little touring car!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:47 PM

I think the reason it was too hot was because it was 96 degrees outside (battery, esc, and motor were hot). I had just repeaked my battery pack so it was already pretty warm already. I still have my cooling fan taken off my esc because it's broken. I think the reason it went faster was because the pack has been cycled a few more times, plus I lubed my bearings the other day. I reset my gps to make sure it was really going 45.8 and the next time it read 45.7. I did not even run the whole pack through because it was pretty hot to the touch after about 5 minutes of speed runs. I could hold my finger to the motor for about 6 seconds before it became painful. I was surprised to see how much the temp outside really effects the temp of the motor, esc, and battery. I bought my Pede back in September so I've never really seen what happens in hot temps. I'm definately going to have to get a replacement fan. The esc has still never gotten so hot that it shut down, but I'm still leary of driving when it's hot to the touch.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:56 PM

my 4.5 came in the mail today after being on backorder since 2/20!!! I can't run it yet though cause I'm still waiting for my IB4200's to come along with my pinions. This motor will be going into my TA05 and I really think it'll be a blast! Flyo I think you'd be better off with a 5.5 or 6.5 since the 4.5 is designed for TC's and does not have lots of torque for offroad. Besides at the speeds the 4.5 will bring the evader to it'll be uncontrollable and you'll be breaking tons of parts.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:12 PM

Getrdone, I must say I'm pretty impressed that your GTB doesn't thermal with 96F weather, running a 4.5r with no fan, and on a stampede! It seems people underestimate the GTB in its thermal ability.

R/C Fan addict, thanks for the advice but getrdone's experience of the 4.5r in his stampede shows that the torque is really a non issue, if it can push a stampede to 45mph, it will have no problem on a graphite buggy.
Concerning the speed, I have that covered, I'm planning to use the ETA feature on my radio to limit it while off-roading and turn it back on 100% for on-road pavement fun. Also the speed/power is not the only factor in my decision (I've read the performance difference between the 4.5 and 5.5 is not that large anyway), the can design of the 4.5 is clearly superior to the 5.5 and 6.5 (serves as cooling, better tabs, etc...)
Old 04-18-2006, 11:24 PM

Even when I had the 4.5 overgeared at 19/87 it was still pulling wheelies. Lack of torque is just not an issue in my experience with the 4.5. I plan on gearing it 14/87 when I get a new pinion this weekend. I think during the hot summer days I will be much more careful with my gearing so I don't ruin anything. Another thing that I have not mentioned yet is how smooth it is with very low throttle. I didn't realize that cogging was an issue with a lot of sensoreless motors, but this system is smooth at slow speeds as well as high speeds. I'm telling you, once you go brushless this hobby is 10 times as fun.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:29 PM

ok flyo have fun! It should be a blast to drive a buggy with BL motor under the hood! lol or would that be shell? lol
Old 04-19-2006, 12:03 AM

lol, thanks I hope I will! (I'm keeping my fingers crossed for no interference/glitching with my futaba 2PL am system once I get that BL setup, I've read a few different users with am radios with no problem on the GTB, hopefully that'll be the case. If anyone reading this has used the GTB with the futaba 2PL, please let me know)
Old 04-19-2006, 01:32 PM

In that case, maybe I'll get one for my B3 as well, although I just dropped a chameleon 2 pro into over a stocker, that was pretty impressive itself. Does anybodey know if it'll handel a 2 S LiPo? I figure it should, we're only talking .2 volts, but I figured I'd ask anyways, for starters I'll get a good IB 4200 though.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:27 PM

2S lipo cells will work but I would contact novak anyway and ask about lipo detection or settings since it might not auto detect lipo batteries. IB4200 should work fine, I'm assembling a pack of them right now for my GTB/4.5 setup. They're pretty cheap: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLZK6&P=ML
I would just rebuild the cells into a SxS pack with deans plugs since the foil is sortof eh for BL setups
Old 04-19-2006, 08:23 PM

I'm not to worried about cut-off because you can buy in-line lipo cutoff things, sorta like a lipo cutoff. It's mostly that the GTB will handle it, I figure it should but it never hurts to ask first either.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:55 PM

no I didn't mean cutoff I meant that the GTB detects that lipo cells are being used rather than nimh or nicd cells. As for using an AM radio flyo I'm hoping that my blazer will be ok and if not I'm just going to order a MX-3S (with the $20 off $50 deal on tower and using the rx that comes with the radio and for my other 3 cars using Novak synthesised RX's and selling my other radio it'll cost under $150!!!!) First though I'll need to buy a new charger cause my 959 went poof (what a piece of crap, the fuse didn't kick in and neither did the thermal yet it caused one of my cells to fry and apparently melt one of the wires in the power supply) I think I'll be getting the ICE. I sure hope my AM radio works though...
Old 04-19-2006, 10:56 PM

no I didn't mean cutoff I meant that the GTB detects that lipo cells are being used rather than nimh or nicd cells. As for using an AM radio flyo I'm hoping that my blazer will be ok and if not I'm just going to order a MX-3S (with the $20 off $50 deal on tower and using the rx that comes with the radio and for my other 3 cars using Novak synthesised RX's and selling my other radio it'll cost under $150!!!!) First though I'll need to buy a new charger cause my 959 went poof (what a piece of crap, the fuse didn't kick in and neither did the thermal yet it caused one of my cells to fry and apparently melt one of the wires in the power supply) I think I'll be getting the ICE. I sure hope my AM radio works though...
Old 04-20-2006, 01:04 PM

Just adding a thumbs up to the GTB/4.5 combo. Team Joker has put two of these in Losi XXX-S' and have been nothing but stoked on them. Oddly enough it's the smooth power curve at low RPM as much as the over-all power that has us impressed. We haven't shoved one in the e-zillas yet but it's great for the TC!
Old 04-21-2006, 12:30 AM

don't put a 540 motor into an ezilla! You'll damage it! These motors are meant to push around 3-4 lb TC's not 10-12 lb monster trucks with huge tires! For the love of your GTB don't!!!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 02:50 AM

Lol. Ok buddy thanks for the warning. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: R/C fan-addict

no I didn't mean cutoff I meant that the GTB detects that lipo cells are being used rather than nimh or nicd cells.
Not sure what you mean by "detect" but if you're referring to the voltage, I've been curious about the same thing and I wrote to Novak and they said it would be totally fine and they have many customers doing it. The difference is really minimal, and the GTB works just as fine with the 1.4v cells in a lipo pack as it does with the 1.2v cells in nimh or nicd packs.

Beyond the voltage difference, it really doesn't matter to the ESC what type of battery is supplying the power. Just as long as you use an appropriate low voltage alarm or cutoff, the information I have from Novak is that you'll be 100% fine running a GTB off a lipo pack.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:05 PM

Thanks, that's what I figured. That way I can start with my IB 4200s, then when I have the money I can get an insane capacity LiPo for it.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:54 AM

no I meant that maybe the GTB has to go into a different mode for lipo use. Sort of like brushless or brushed and I was saying you should ask novak if the GTB will automatically detect if the batteries used are lipo, nimh, or nicd cells or if you have to go into a menu and select a lipo setting.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:56 PM

The only reason an ESC would need to know the cell type is because with lipos you need the cutoff, but as far as the ESC is concerned, all batteries discharge the same. I think perhaps your thinking about the fact that you need to charge them differently, and while that is true, they will discharge like any other battery excepting the fact that you can only discharge them to a certain voltage. In any case khyron said he did contact novak, and they said it would be fine.