Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need battery recommendations for Evader ST

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need battery recommendations for Evader ST

I'm a total newbie to RC, so I'd appreciate your recommendations on a replacement battery for my Evader ST. I'm currently using a 6-cell 3000 mah battery. I'd love to get 10-20% more speed on the truck, but more importantly, I really want to increase the life of the battery. It barely lasts a few minutes. Any suggestions on what battery I can get to significantly increase the runtime on this thing?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-15-2006, 06:41 PM

Default RE: Need battery recommendations for Evader ST

I hate to answer a question by asking a question... but What kind of charger are you using? With a 3000 mah battery you should be getting decent run times, so maybe the charger isn't fully charging it.
To get more speed, you might want to look at 7-cell packs. You run time will not be better with a 7 cell though, it will be slightly less. You need to be sure that your ESC and motor can handle a 7 cell.
Also if you know how to solder, switching your pack and ESC over to dean's plugs will give your truck some more punch.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:28 PM

If your evader came RTR with the photon motor you should be getting around 15-20 minutes of run time. I think gunnit is right about your charger not fully charging the battery. Also I would agree to get some good 7 cell packs to increase your speed.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:32 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Is your 3000mAh battery warm after you charge it? My GP3300s take about an hour to charge, and are warm after charging. Typically, if a battery isn't warm after charging, then its not fully charged. I can run a GP3300 pack for about 1/2 an hour or more including a few full speed drive bys before the pack dumps, so I'd agree that your battery isn't fully charging. Batteries and chargers are one thing you don't want to skimp on in electrics. Getting cheap batteries and chargers is like buying the cheapest gas you can find for a full scale car, or buying the cheapest nitro fuel you can find regardless of oil content, or nitro content. I saw a noticeable increase in speed in my electrics just by running good batteries.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:35 AM

I bet your charger is false peaking. If I don't watch mine, I don't notice it false peaks and I go out to drive and it is dead in five minutes. Like someone else said, it should take about an hour to charge and should feel warm.

Duneslider
Old 04-16-2006, 12:39 AM

Thanks for the helpful responses. I used and recharged the battery 3-4 times today, and the runtime seemed to increase from ~5 minutes to ~10 minutes. There may be some problem in the charging though, because it only seems to take 20-25 minutes.

Anyway, if I want to replace the battery, what would be a good source (and brand) for a new one?
Old 04-16-2006, 12:41 AM

Thanks for the helpful responses. I used and recharged the battery 3-4 times today, and the runtime seemed to increase from ~5 minutes to ~10 minutes. There may be some problem in the charging though, because it only seems to take 20-25 minutes. So if the charger is "false peaking", do I just need to leave it on even after it says it's done, or do I actually need to change the charger?

Also, if I end up replacing the battery, what would be a good source (and brand) for a new one?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:43 AM

If it finishes charging after 25 minutes start the charge again. Keep doing so until it has been charging for an hour. What charger are you using?

I have some GP3300 cells that are awesome. I also have some IB3600's that are really good. Just got some IB3800's and they are awesome too. You can check out boomboombatteries.com He sells some great IB3800's for a good price. Some guys like the maxamps.com 4k cells. There are a lot of choices now days. Most of the big names are good.

Duneslider
Old 04-16-2006, 12:45 AM

Yeah PM elmo6s about some IB3800 packs
Old 04-16-2006, 08:53 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,
I'm the owner of Boom Boom Batteries - feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions on our products!
Alex
Old 04-16-2006, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 04-16-2006, 11:33 AM

make sure you are geared correctly also. That can affect runtimes.
What rate are you charging at? A high rate will give punch while a lower rate will give runtime.

With Epic 3000's on my regular Evader (20T motor) I got around 30mins. bash time.

With Venom 3000's on my Pro (15T motor) I get 20~25 mins of runtime. Lower runtime because of a faster motor.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Banned

Stay away from the Venom batteries and invest in some IBs.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:25 AM

ahsanrahim - Contact [link=http://www.spcracing.com]SPC Racing[/link]. They sell IB matched packs at good prices. They have a special going on right now; they are out of stock on 1.195-1.199 cells so if you order them, you get 1.200+ cells for the same price. I think it's less than $40 for a 6-cell matched pack.