Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, go Li-po
55.56%
No, Li-po's aren't that safe yet. Stick with Ni-MH.
11.11%
Don't drive like an idiot and you'll be safe
33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Bite the Bullet and Go Li-Po for Model 3606 Pede?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bite the Bullet and Go Li-Po for Model 3606 Pede?

As the title states, I have a model 3606 electric Pede (the XL-1/old Pede), with a (now old skool) Novak SS5800, and it's basically modded to as much as it can without being aluminum (well, for its time anyway, which was about a year and a half ago). I haven't driven it for more then a year, mainly because I don't have as much free time as I used to, and charging batteries is too time consuming when I want to drive. I like Li-Po technology because I could charge a pack when I have time like days or weeks ahead, and still use the battery. But, has li-po technology improved to the point that they can withstand the abuse of RC cars? I don't do much crazy stuff with the Pede; just jump it off a ramp 21 inches high that I made and crash into curbs and stuff. I was thinking of investing in a Class D fire extinguisher (for combustable metals, like lithium), but at $400, it doesn't seem worth the cost.

So, in your opinion, would it be better in my situation to invest in a li-poly battery or some good old Ni-MH?

As far as Li-polys are concerned, I was looking at either the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLXR6&P=0]Team Orion Platium 4800mAh 2S pack[/link], or a [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNWV9&P=7]Kokam 4800mAh 2S pack[/link]. If I was going for Ni-MH, I would go with an SMC IB4200 stick pack, although I've heard that they have discharge issues, but that was a year ago.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:54 PM

Default RE: Bite the Bullet and Go Li-Po for Model 3606 Pede?

get lipos, they pack more puch thatn ni-mh's
u should make this a poll
Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Hmm...because once I factor in the cost of everything, I could get about four Ni-MH packs for the price of one Team Orion (with Kokam cells) pack, a balancer, and a battery cutoff unit for the Pede.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:15 AM

Once you go lipo you'll never go back!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:53 AM

just get a lipo youll be amazed.....
Old 09-25-2007, 08:30 AM

ORIGINAL: IBrakeForNobody

But, has li-po technology improved to the point that they can withstand the abuse of RC cars? I don't do much crazy stuff with the Pede; just jump it off a ramp 21 inches high that I made and crash into curbs and stuff.
My lipos have survived falling 40 feet out of the sky while powering my T-Rex 450 heli. Almost everyone who flys helis and planes uses lipo packs.

Get the lipos and don't look back.