Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Boat ESC in Emaxx and water cooling

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat ESC in Emaxx and water cooling

i test ran my emaxx today (hacker b50 12S, 60AMP esc, 4s2p 8000mah, 18/66) and the motor stayed under 50c (with heatsinks) and the batteries around 30c but the speed controller got to nearly 100c (thermal cut off is 110)
naturally i am not happy with this but have had an idea, it is a boat speed controller with two alloy (i think) pipes sticking out of one end, i was wondering if i could put two short lengths of fuel line off this to a coil of copper pipe (like one which would go around a 400 size boat motor) and see how much it would help (it would at least take longer to heat up, maybe long enough that the batteries are flat before it gets too hot)

if this was to help but not enough i could also fit a small pc fan (40mm maybe) to cool the copper coil (however as the liquid is still it may not improve much)

i wouldnt want to use water for obvious reasons but what about a special car or pc cooling liquid that helps cool and doesn't conduct electricity (mineral water wouldnt conduct but may not be as good for heat transference)

i will start experimenting with just pc fans but as the esc has a rubberlike wrap around it this will not help as much as a conventional car esc with a heat sink

what do you guys think? [&:]
Old 08-20-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Boat ESC in Emaxx and water cooling

for the water cooling to really work you would need a small radiator, I dont think just a simple small coil would be enough.

I bet if you looked around you could find a small radiator, but the problem would be all the added weight of the liquid and radiator.

Personaly I would stick with a fan and trying to mount a larger heatsink.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:18 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Boat ESC in Emaxx and water cooling

water expands too much when hot, you would need a coolant. What if you extended one of the pipes so that it sticks out of the body, like a ram air cooler? maybe the other pipe could face the other direction. just thinking out loud