Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

17.5 motors???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17.5 motors???

I want to buy a brushless setup for my 1/10 for around $100. I have been looking at the Castle Creations Sidewinder, and one of the two smaller motors.

Here's where I need help. The only motor I'm allowed to use is a 17.5. What does this mean? Will the CC motors be legal for my track? I think the point of this is so that the brushed and brushless motors can be run in the same class. I think 19 turn is the legal brushed motor.

Help would be greatly appreciated. If these electronics wont work, what will? There's a lot of new stuff out there.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:57 AM

Default RE: 17.5 motors???

17.5 is stock and you can use 27t motors and 19t is super stock which is 13.5. I would get a XBR 13.5 for super stock and Novak gtb 17.5 for stock. the novak gtb is 230 though.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:15 AM

We have added a few RMF GTBs to our on-line store for 129.99:

RMF Brushless ESCs

We have also added some BL motors.

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

17.5 is stock and you can use 27t motors and 19t is super stock which is 13.5. I would get a XBR 13.5 for super stock and Novak gtb 17.5 for stock. the novak gtb is 230 though.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:12 PM

If cost is an issue - you may want to just get together a bunch of 27T brushed motors. A guy at my track gave me a box of about 10 27T motors (along with a variety of others) for free. The CO27 motor is mighty strong for a stocker. I'd be willing to share some with you - you would only need a reasonable brushed ESC and you're ready to go. An older GT7 or newer Novak brushed controller would be all you'd need. For Castle, they don't have a compatible 17.5 motor to run in "stock" class. Though, I find it strange that ROAR says 17.5 brushless and 27T are considered "the same" in terms of performance.

$ 100.00 for a brushless setup - meaning ESC and motor - is hard to come by, even if remanufactured. You may be able to get a deal from Novak for an XBR + 17.5 motor. But even on eBay, it'd be hard to go with a combo for that money. 27T brushed motors are pretty strong when geared up right. In the 17.5 motor arena for brushless, in touring cars, you need a super-huge gearing ratio (like 4.0 or 4.5 FDR) to get them to perform well. You'd definitely be buying a variety of new pinions and such to get it to be competitive at the local track. So, take that into your cost-considerations when going brushless. Of course - BL means "less maintenance" so no comm. cutting and cleaning and so-on.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:14 PM

The rules for 17.5 under "ROAR rules" mean that only those 17.5 brushless motors (17.5 is "turns") are legal under ROAR juristiction. Here's the chart to look at. Castle isn't on the list since they don't have a similar turn setup to fit into the ROAR rules.

http://www.roarracing.com/approvals/brushlessmotors.php