Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless or Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless or Lipo

I race 1/10th scale off road Stadium Truck and 2WD buggy. I'm currently running some older gear (such as Novak T4 esc and Novak Rooster Reversible (from 17 years ago) with a 27T stock motor and a 17T double motor respectively.

I'm going to eventually go Lipo and brushless but want to do it in stages. What would I get more bang for the buck out of?

Go brushless with my Nimh batteries?
Go Lipo with brushed motors (also would I be able to use my old ESC's or would those have to be upgraded as well?

Yes, money is a big factor.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:42 AM

Default RE: Brushless or Lipo

to be honest save your self the hassel and do it all at once. i recently made the switch and did it lipo first then the esc and motor in one of my cars just to see what would happen. The havoc system is fairly cheap and works awsome. as for lipo check with your local club rules and get the best one allowed. All or nothing. and the motor makes a bigger difference than the battery's. so if you want esc and brushless first.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 AM

I believe going brushless first would be better, since your ESC does not support the low voltage cut-off that a lipo battery requires (for safety) so it doesn't get run down past 3.0v per cell.

Now there are literally dozens of solutions that will work for you. I believe you can spend about $150 and get what you need if you are absolutely strapped, or about $200-$250 for everything if you have a bit of wiggle room.

You'll need:

Brushless ESC
Brushless motor
Lipo batteries
Lipo charger (and powersupply?)

Go on Hobbyking, and check out their EZ-run motor/esc combos for about < $100, and then look for Zippy or Turnigy 2s (that's 2 in series, 3.7x2, 7.4v) 4000-5000 mah 20C or 25C (that's the discharge rating) lipo batteries, $20-$25. You can find some in hard case, or others in the usual shrink wrap (I use the shrink wrapped ones fine).
For a charger look for the Turnigy Accucel 6 or similar. They should run about $30 + power supply ($25)

Alternatively, if you want to race with brushless setup, you will want a sensored brushless setup. Novak makes some and I believe those can run as low as $160 for the combo. Also, again there are the "budget" versions too but I can't remember the names.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 AM

oh and as far as which is cheaper there both about the same. cause battery's you need a new lipo charger and lipo sac.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely go brushless motor first. Is anyone familiar with running the older ESC's like the Novak T4 and original Rooster? Can those run brushless as long as I'm running Nimh? If I remember right, they're spec'd to run 12T brushed motors.

I've seen some cheaper brushless motors, like the EZ Run or the Tacon. Are those sensored?

I'm looking at the LRP eraser 13.5T, Trinity Speedgem Titanite 12.5T, Trinity DUO Roar 13.5T.

I'm also considering going with a new ESC and maybe going towards a 10.5T or 9.5T brushless.

This is going to be mostly for racing. PS I don't need a land rocket because I like to be able to control the vehicle on a track.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:13 AM
My Feedback: (12)

you should do the brushless esc AND motor, run it with NiMh's.  Then later on grab Lipo's.  IMO</p>
Old 05-12-2010, 10:28 AM

I would go with the brushless setup first. Then the lipo battery. I got my stuff at Hobbyking also. Just what Slo-V Flyer said. Works great. No problems so far.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:16 AM

Can't run brushless motors on those old esc's....

Steve
Old 05-12-2010, 12:08 PM

Thanks for all the input. I've been out of the hobby for about 15 years and am just starting to get back in.

I'm probably going to go with an economy brushless and esc set up to start then go lipo.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:31 PM

The Havoc system is a great system for the money. i have the ss pro 13.5 spec in my pan car and it is very competitive.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:52 AM
My Feedback: (35)

If your looking to ease into the new Brushless/lipo craze, which this will be the best money you ever spent on your RC. Brushed and brushless are like night and day. AS for Nimh and lipos. Check out ebay,hobbypartz,hobbyking and pick yourself up a Ezrun 60A esc and .5 motor combo. You'llbe more than happy with it. You can get quality lipos from Hobbyking for next to nothing. I would say you could get yourself a BL combo and a few lipos with a basic and simple ballence charger all for under $200! Cant beat it.