Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Diesel : Buy or mix

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel : Buy or mix

I am getting ready to insert a my first diesel into one of my planes. Fuel is not available locally but could be ordered through Davis Diesel. Being that I can only fly about once a week I don't really want to buy a case of diesel for just one plane. I understand that it has a shorter shelf life than regular nitro. IF mixing is a better option, does anyone have a proven recipe they could share?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2005, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Diesel : Buy or mix

I ran diesels for a while and then quit. A quart and a half of Davis fuel sat in my basement for about 10 years. When I took up diesels again, the fuel ran fine. If the fuel is well capped, with no ether smell, it should last fine. If you run a commercial fuel, you can assume your fuel is not the basis of any problems you may have.

Jim
Old 06-16-2005, 06:28 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give ddd a ring 3 formulas avaiable ABC, plain bearing, 1/2 A mix depending on your engine, You can always pour off a qt into am empty qt can that acetone, acohol laquer thinner came in to take to the field martin\
DO NOT USE ANY PLASTIC CONTAINERS
I use his premixs in ALL my engines 1/2a norvel thru ST 90s
Old 06-16-2005, 08:18 AM

Good info from Jim and Diesel Dan. Cheaper to go with commercial fuel. I have stored diesel fuel for over 5 years on two occasions with no problems. Turn can upside down after capping and check for fuel leaking out. If it leaks wash can with soap and water and tighten cap with a strap wrench. I used to use Channel Lock pliers but they can deform cap. A good strap wrench is available from ALLTRADE. If oil gets on strap wrench just wash with soap and water so the wrench does not slip. I flew diesels during the late 1950's thru 1969. Got into R/C gliders in 1970 into the 1990's. Started again with diesels in 1995 to present time and have yet to have diesel fuel go bad. Jack
Old 06-16-2005, 09:45 AM

Just received my order from Davis Diesel this morning. If you don't want a case of fuel, don't get it. From my understanding it is a 5% discount for a case, but I would think that is going to be eaten up by increased shipping costs. (Just a guess, I do not know all those details for sure)

What I can say for sure is that an order for two gallons of Davis fuel @ $19.95 ea plus a head and tubing etc... it cost me $15.00 to ship. I didn't think that was all that bad.

pnmrr
Old 06-16-2005, 11:24 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Blue Note,

I don't know how close Knoxville is to Tullahoma, but Dr. Diesel (Eric Clutton) has fuel also.

George

PS. I DO know how close Knoxville is to "Smoky Mountain Knife Works" and "Dollywood", though.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:08 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I think Aerodyne and Red Max (?) can also supply pre-mix model diesel fuel in the U.S. ?

It may be easier and more cost efficient to order if you reside near them, and want to avoid a shipping charge.

fiery
Old 06-16-2005, 07:19 PM
gcb

I thought Aerodyne stopped making diesel fuel?

George

Update: I just checked their online sites, and both Red Max and Aerodyne still have diesel fuel listed. I think Ed Carlson sells both in quarts if you don't want larger quantities.

I personally have used DDD and Aerodyne. Both work well. I will eventually try Red Max too. Since there are several blends by some, make sure you get proper lube for the engines you are using. I use 25% castor lube. The PAW .19 is my largest diesel.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:05 AM
My Feedback: (2)

In the US, you are fortunate to be spoilt for choice - it seems you have four different vendors to choose from - and maybe more.

To have even one commercial fuel manufacturer willing to sell model diesel fuel here where I live would be great []

fiery
Old 08-24-2005, 12:58 AM
My Feedback: (4)

i have been thinking about converting my supertigre into diesel but i was also wondering is it cheaper in the long run? because i would like to get better run times and supposedly i cant get about twice the run time, is it as good as it sounds? and how much is a gallon of fuel?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:26 AM
gcb

Skater,

If you are converting for economy, you might want to consider converting to spark ignition. Most diesel enthusiasts do it because we like diesels.

Some considerations:

You can usually use a much larger prop with a diesel. This is because of the type of ignition and the ability to adjust firing time through compression adjustment.

You can, in most conditions, get better economy.

There is a learning curve to proper operation.

The conversion head can cost almost as much as the engine...but can be used over the life of several engines.

Price of diesel fuel varies depending on where you get it and what type you use. Check out some of the sources online.

Some mix their own to save money. Check in the RC Fuels thread. I use commercial brands.

George
Old 08-30-2005, 06:25 AM

What are the pros and cons of diesel?

I just got back into R/C after 22 yrs out. I have a bought several planes. One Avistar, and one Great Planes PT-40. The PT-40 has an OS 40 on it. I am in need of another engine for the Avistar. It came with a OS 61 ABC. It was not installed. Several have said it is too big. What motor would you get for diesel, and convert?

What are fuel prices, for comparison?

Thx.

Nate
Old 08-30-2005, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in the UK, I buy ready mixed fuel from Model Technics (D1000) but also add (inline with P.A.W. instructions an additional 5% castor) I also chuck in another 5% of commercial car diesel to make the fuel stretch further coz it isn't cheap. Motors start 3rd flick (you gotta be determined) after a choked couple of turns, I set my motors rich coz I like the white exhaust vapour trail they leave behind
I also keep my fuel tight capped in metal tins in the freezer @ around -30 C , no, it doesnt go solid