Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Ethanol castor oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethanol castor oil

Well i got me some E100 ethanol i believe and some castor oil and i mixed it about 20% oil and i tried to get a OS .35 fp to run it and it wouldnt i also put it in a Xtm racings .21 it would run but barely.
about every where i read on the internet it says it should have run. do i need a different glow plug or what.

Thanks in advance.

Whoopee
Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ethanol castor oil

The plug makes a difference. It must have a platinum element, like Enya #3 or the like.
I have run engines on 80% ethanol (medicinal, has 20% water). Less power than Methanol, but quite well running considering the amount of water in the brew.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:43 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Medicinal"... LOL. In this country we call it "hooch".
Old 04-01-2010, 11:28 AM

I don't think your  Hooch can be obtained from hospital supplies?
<span lang="EN">

That's where I got mine before I knew where to get metanol.</p></span>
Old 04-01-2010, 01:00 PM

Better to use E85 in the US no water but 15% gasoline, or petrol in the UK. I understand that it runs well if you use a hot plug.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to use a hotter heat range glow plug. the glow plug's platinum has a catalyst effect with methanol but little to none with ethanol.
It runs acceptably OK. But there is a noticable loss of power, but not a great amount though.
You might watch the oil in the fuel. In some cases the castor oil may settle out of the fuel, especially E85. So it may be wise to shake the fuel jug up before you use it to fill up the plane's fuel tank.
Some guys mix the E85 with regular glow fuel and add the oil to bring it up to the percentage they need. That way you have some methanol to help keep the glow plug working better.
Some other guys use a on board glow plug ignitor to keep the glow plug lit and that works well too. They just leave the ignitor on for the entire flight. The battery isn't very big either.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:23 PM

everclear 190( 95% alc) works pretty good
Old 06-20-2010, 01:17 PM
My Feedback: (38)

you got it , that way you can share it with your engine. as far as i can see ethonal is garbage for small engines .
i think they should send it all to china. it rots rubber lines, doesnt mix well with the gas your using in your lawnmower
because it actually seperates from the gas over time, TRASH. THEIR talking about putting more in the pump gas here in the northeast.
BAD MOVE .
Old 06-21-2010, 09:10 AM

think they should send it all to china. it rots rubber lines, doesnt mix well with the gas your using in your lawnmower
because it actually seperates from the gas over time, TRASH.
You have to buy the right material for the lines, it should not bother silicone. It mixes with gas very well. It does not seperate.