Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
 Pat Teakle 4 Metre Vega Sailplane >

Pat Teakle 4 Metre Vega Sailplane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Pat Teakle 4 Metre Vega Sailplane

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pat Teakle 4 Metre Vega Sailplane

<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255); "><span style="font-size: medium; "><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; ">Hi Everyone,

I have signed up today, and would appreciate some advice please.....My current project is the refurbishment of a Pat Teakle 4 metre Vega sailplane, I would be very grateful please for suggestions on air brakes. The model has blade type airbrakes which extend from the top of the main wings, flaps and naturally ailerons.

There are two main types of full size Vega, the ordinary Vega, and the Vega Sport. The Sport uses a powerful trailing edge airbrake, not 100% sure about the Vega, I believe flaps, as I do not recall seeing a blade type airbrake on a full size sailplane. I understand that fitting the trailing edge type of airbrake to the model will be unsuitable, so my intention is to do away with the blade type airbrake, and use 'crow braking.' I do not have the relevant experience of this size of model to know if this is practical, so, I would welcome your comments.

Best wishes,

John</span></span></span><br type="_moz" />
Old 10-10-2010, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pat Teakle 4 Metre Vega Sailplane

If you already have flaps and ailerons, all you need to try crow is a radio that can do it, and if you didn't have that, you wouldn't be wanting to do it.

I guess I don't understand why you want to remove the blade type spoilers. I've used them on a bunch of sailplanes and they worked great.

I've also used crow and it usually takes a bit of adjusting of throws to get it working optimum. But my OlyII with spoilers almost never missed the spot landing. And was easy to de-thermal.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:00 AM

I agree with DeRock. The blade type of spoilers are great in our (model) application. Flaps as airbrakes (near90*) are susesptable to gear train damage upon landing. Simply spoiling, and slowing your approch will create a very predictable, repeatable landing. And yes I use, and like crow, more so on a steap time sensitive compitition spot landing.
Hope this helps, Snuts.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:27 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Can't add much to the first two guys. They pretty much nailed it.

BUT we would love to see pictures of your Vega
Old 10-10-2010, 07:30 PM

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18057.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	1514272  
Old 10-10-2010, 07:42 PM

<span style="font-size: medium; "><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; "><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255); ">Thanks for your comments guys.

In response to da Rock's comment of not understanding why the blade type spoilers are being considered for removal......The model came with all servos mounted in the fuselage, it is my understanding that the linkages can suffer damage on landing, due to the flexing of the wings. It is my intention to move the servos into the wings for the flaps and ailerons, if the blade brakes are not necessary, two less servos to fit, that is all. Clearly you all favour blade type air brakes, so it looks as if all six servos will be going into the wings.......John</span></span></span>