Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Upstart launch Talon 50

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 11:20 AM
rmj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upstart launch Talon 50

I plan on using a Dynaflite upstart to launch a Dynaflite Talon 50.The tow hook is located forward of the CG by about 12 degrees.I have used the upstart with other sailplanes but not this one . Suggestions please.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:12 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Upstart launch Talon 50

Hi there,
The talon is a sloper and will be tricky to launch. You can bring the hook a bit back. Pull back on the rubber for a full launch holding the fuze aft wing and trow the glider hard at the horizon in the wind....

Peter B
Old 02-06-2011, 12:33 PM

Try some low tension releases first to get the feel for it. Keep the wings level at release. Some slopers use bungee or high starts to launch in some situations.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On mine the hook is 1 1/2 inches behind the center of the wing bolt.

I do not agree with a low tension try, it'll be too low of power, get wobbly, and bite you in the rear...
Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 AM

OK, not that low
Old 02-07-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Either way you want the model to be fully up to airspeed when it leaves your hand. So try to "feel through" the pull of the upstart and THROW DAT PUPPY! ! !

You'd think that the tension would rip it up to proper speed but in truth if the model is launched at a high angle of attack by just letting it go with the wrong attitude the wing is stalled and anything can happen then. Most of them are going to end badly. So be sure to give 'er like you're throwing a javelin in the Olympics. It'll be especially important with a small slope model which has a higher flying speed to begin with.