Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
 Great planes Fling 48" glider?? >

Great planes Fling 48" glider??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Great planes Fling 48" glider??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great planes Fling 48" glider??

I'm looking for a fun glider that I could toss around my house. The great planes fling seems to fit my bill well. I don't like that it doesn't have ailerons but that's fine... It's gonna be my first glider ( I've only flown gliders with motors. ) And I wanna ask that, do you have to catch it on a landing? Would 4 AAA cells combined together fit?
Has anyone any better suggestions? The kit would have to cost (max) a 100 bucks.

Paul
Old 08-05-2006, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great planes Fling 48" glider??

You don't -have- to catch any plane on landing. It's much safer to not even try.
The Fling should be a good airplane.
As for the battery fit, try it at the store with whatever battery packs they have.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:04 PM
My Feedback: (2)

If you go to the "Cermark" website they give the dimensions of their various battery packs. From that you can figure out the cell size and go from there. I was looking at some packs last night for the "Quickflick" DLG I'm building and the pack with connector was only $10.00, so pretty reasonably priced as well.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:01 PM

How long can you fly with this plane on thermals. (not on a cliff, just a field.)
Old 08-06-2006, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How big is your battery pack?
How much support do you have for your neck?
How much sunscreen have you applied to your face?
Nominally with 2 standard servos, a normal 400-600 mah battery will let you fly well over an hour.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The little FLing is a fantastic airplane, it's wing loading is comparable to competition thermal ships, it thermals excellently, slopes pretty good, and is small cheap easy to carry around and even comes with a high start, Fantastic! Now the bad. The covering is junk, I recovered mine in Monokote, much better. The thing, fling thing???, is very small. Only the smallest equipment fits. 4 AAA might fit but I have a NiMh 300mA 2/3AAA rechargable pack I made in mine and it has 2+ hours off flying time. The push pull lines are some kind of plastic and I replaced them with Kevlar line. Out of the box it's a great airplane at a great price, I think every pilot, including powered airplane pilots, should pwn one to mess around with.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:04 AM

I see, I will get it then. Paul, I didn't said that "how long can I fly with that battery" I said how long can you fly without throwing it back up again I will probably get a battery that they recommend.

Paul
Old 08-07-2006, 11:30 AM

I suggest you not use AAA batts., they are way too heavy. Go with a small pack. I use a 5 cell 200mAH NiMH 2/3 AAA and last for a couple of hours. I also installed a throwing peg behind the bulkhead under the wing. Also under the tail I put a small tail skid to keep the elevator horn off the ground.

Regards.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:01 PM

I still have a problem... lol. I dn't have a slow charger, only fast ( I've flown many parkflyers ( 3d), So I'd get that.
Heres the stuff I will get.

battery- http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHBB0

Charger- http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCJE2&P=V

BTW what plug should I get for the charger. The battery has the "receiver" plug on it. And the charger has kind of a mini plug on it. Sorry for all the questons, but I'm more used to the deans ultra plugs and stuff.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Old 08-07-2006, 12:05 PM

Oh yea, are any servo extensions needed? I'm using HS-55 and 05S min receiver.

Paul
Old 08-07-2006, 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: SS2P
I still have a problem... lol. I dn't have a slow charger, only fast
Use the lowest current, 200mA, for charging those batteries.

... The battery has the "receiver" plug on it. And the charger has kind of a mini plug on it...
Get a servo extension and use the female part to build a cable charger. Maybe you can replace the male plug with a Deans or whatever the plug your charger has.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I see, I will get it then. Paul, I didn't said that "how long can I fly with that battery" I said how long can you fly without throwing it back up again I will probably get a battery that they recommend.

Paul
You asked how long it would fly in thermals. Paul was quite right with his answer. On a good day with multiple thermals and assuming that you can fly well enough to find and stay in the thermals it will be the battery pack's life or your tolerance to the things he mentioned that will determine how long the model will stay up. It was how you worded the question that was misleading.

From a single handlaunch with NO thermal you can expect about a 30 to 50 second flight with careful flying. Hand launch glider is all about knowing the air and only throwing when you can feel that there may be a thermal around you. If you just toss it up without paying attention to the air you may toss it 10 or 40 times and never see a hint of lift. Especially if you're in a built up area with trees and stuff around you that makes it hard to feel what the air is really doing. If you're flying in this sort of crowded location then a glider isn't really the best option. For a glider to work well you really need a park like area about the size of at least a big baseball field so the air has a chance to smooth out and so that you are feeling what the thermals are doing.

Sensing and catching a thermal from the ground is not an easy skill to learn. It took me a good 20 years of on and off free flight flying to finally catch onto it.

The Reader's Digest version is wait for a lull in the wind and a general warm feel to the air. If you see insects or light airborne seeds drifting by and upwards then that's a bonus. This is the buildup. It signals that the thermal that is upwind is drawing in the air and this is what slows down the apparent wind. When you feel the first stirring of a "gust" or wind increase that is the time to throw the model. At that point you want to bunt out and turn right away so the model circles back around over your head or just behind you because that is where the thermal is.

From there you will find that there is about 5000 variations on this basic description depending on winds and thermals passing just over to either side. Have fun with it and best of luck.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:19 PM

Yep it will sure take some time. I will probably try my first flight with out any wind.
And I found exactly what I need! here....

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWV18..

I will order :

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWV18

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHBB0

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL430

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCJE2

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGVW2&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPT38 ---- I out of it

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPT46

I man, I can't wait to try it. To tell you guys the truth, all of my models ( mostly 3d) are falling like rocks down from the sky, when the power is off.

Paul
Old 08-13-2006, 07:44 PM

I've been thinking here for the last week... I really want to get it but I'm not sure if it flys so well. Does the size affect the thermal hunt?

Paul
Old 08-13-2006, 08:49 PM
My Feedback: (1)

It's really about the wing loading and it's very light on the Fling. I have had it in thermals that would take it out of sight and I would have to start diving it back down before it did. It has a nice shallow glide slope and it will handle pretty high speeds. The high start that comes with it will fall apart pretty fast. Mine did after a few weeks. The Sun seemed to break it down. I replaced it with 50' of 1/8!QUOT! dia black latex rubber tubing from [link=http://www.mcmaster.com/]McMaster-Carr[/link] website (part #5234K71) for about half the price of Tower. I put on 300' of light string and now it gets serious altitude in a hurry to get a great jump on finding a thermal. I can pull it back to about 180' and it shoots up like a rocket. I tried using a parachute later on and I really prefer the streamer. It is just easier to handle, for me anyway. Here is some video of some simple hand tosses where I was playing catch with it. Even that is pretty fun to do with it. Very nice glider IMHO. I do agree with Evan that the covering is not the best. If you try to tighten it up with heat, the seams at the polyhedral joints will separate. That's why I added the fluorescent yellow strips there to hold it together.

[link=http://www.yorkrc.com/videos/misc/Fling.wmv]Fling Video[/link]

I was able to mount a small panable video camera on it also.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58070.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	506776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47855.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	506777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek14856.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	506778   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55544.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	506779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zl70145.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	506780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23536.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	506781  
Old 08-13-2006, 09:08 PM

Can you give me the site you bought the high launch from? I really would like one...

Paul
Old 08-13-2006, 09:26 PM

The latex tubing I got from [link=http://www.mcmaster.com/]www.mcmaster.com[/link] is just the tubing. I used the split rings and stake that came with the Fling and replaced the 200' string with 300' of fresh string of the same type. It's also commonly used for kites. The black tubing is excellent and seems very resistant to UV from the Sun and doubling it to 50' really gets it up there. The part # is 5234K71. Just enter that into their search box. They have a huge product line for various industries and some good stuff for R/C as well.

p.s. It really makes it easier if you make some kind of reel to wind it up on. The flat board is a pain in the behind to unravel.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:33 PM

I just odered mine... Can't wait to get it.

I will use HS-55s, HFS-05S receiver 350 mah pack. Sounds good Do you think the HFS-05S will have the correct range?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:49 AM

I have the JR R610UL Rx and a 350mAh 4 cell pack in mine. I don't have any experience with the Hitec Rx, but as with any R/C 72mHz Rx, it should give plenty of range, at least farther than you can see the plane. If you want to be sure, you could always do a ground test a couple thousand feet apart with the Tx antenna fully extended. Someone would have to be with the plane to confirm you still have control. Maybe use hand signals. If you get that far on the ground, it work at even higher altitude. I doubt that I got mine much higher than 1500'. It's just a spec that high and nearly impossible to tell what it's doing. Talk about a rush of anxiety.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:40 PM

Ok.. Does it include the control horns, pushrods and all the hardware..?

Paul
Old 08-15-2006, 02:18 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Yes, but you will want to replace the pull-pull string. Mine broke with just a little contact with the inside edges of the fuselage. I replaced it with spider wire from Walmart (in the fishing section).
Old 08-18-2006, 04:27 PM

Whats a spider wire? Sorry I'm pretty new to english

Paul
Old 08-21-2006, 09:05 PM

I got mine too. I tryed to set the wing to 5-1/2 inches dihedral and it was correct but it moved away, after a couple of minutes. Now its about 13.5 cm. (had to be 14) Is this ok? or is it very bad?

Paul
Old 08-21-2006, 10:12 PM

I doubt if the difference can be felt. You're just trading off a tiny bit of stability for a tiny bit more glide efficiency.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:40 AM

ok. I will replace the pushrods with fishing line. I'm still not sure if I will replace it now or later ( when see if its wearing down.)
Overall I love the plane and I think the covering is fine. Not too bad. I'm almost done, just put in all the stuff (rx,battery, servers etc...

Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.