Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
 Slope soaring scale recomendations?? >

Slope soaring scale recomendations??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Slope soaring scale recomendations??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slope soaring scale recomendations??

I had a two meter thermal sailplane when I first started in RC back around 1980 that I flew in the flatland off a highstart for about 3 years. I had to get out of the hobby for about 15 years for "Life Happens" reasons, and have since moved to the Golden Coast of Michigan. I have been flying nitro and electric power again for three years now, and the 100 and something feet high bluff overlooking Lake Michigan a mile away is starting to becon me. As I love Scale aircraft most, (I have a 6 foot Beaver on floats, and a Parkzone Spitfire) I am looking at Discus and ASW-27/28 in the 2.5-4m spans for scale slope soaring. Any comments would be welcome.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:00 PM

Default RE: Slope soaring scale recomendations??

Deleted
Old 08-11-2009, 07:17 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, all my scale sailplanes have an electric motor in the nose. I love flying on the slope, but my play time is too precious to always count on the wind on the hill to be the right speed and direction. My favorite ship is my 2.8 meter LET ASW28. It's a blast on the slope and flat land as well. It has an Axi brushless outrunner in the nose. I purchased the 28 from Icare up in Canada. They are really great to deal with! This model is very maneuverable and the spoilers are effective enough to get you into small LZs.

Here's a pic of mine taken recently at Cape Blanco on the Oregon Coast..

Randy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54306.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1254563  
Old 08-11-2009, 08:08 PM
My Feedback: (82)

look under sailplanes >scale; they are all good quality models:

http://www.soaringusa.com/cart/cart.php

http://icare-rc.com/index.htm
Old 08-12-2009, 12:10 AM
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kitter,
I've got the 2.5m Discus from CMP. It flies really nice off the slope. It's fast and very manoverable. It is hard to slow down, though and landings can be difficult. So far I've found that marram grass makes a great shock absorber.

For some real slope scale fun, try one of the many foamie fighters used for combat. They're EPP and really tough. They're a lot of fun to fly as well. I've got 2 of the DAW fighters, a FoaME109 and a Kawafoamie. You can get them through Sky King RC Products.

Sloping on the Lakes is a great time. Come on down to Michigan City and visit Mt. Baldy some time.

papermache