Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
 TD Contest - PA on 8/28-29 and VA on 9/11-12 >

TD Contest - PA on 8/28-29 and VA on 9/11-12

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 06:42 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default TD Contest - PA on 8/28-29 and VA on 9/11-12

The Eastern Soaring League is proud to present our next two contests weekends, four contests in total.
</p>

AUGUST 28 AND 29 Reading, PA</p>

Info and registration here:
http://www.flyesl.com/contest_regist...ail.asp?cid=12
Event: Thermal Duration</p>

AND THEN ON TO:</p>

</p>

SEPTEMBER 11 &amp; 12 Warrenton, VA</p>

CASA Open
09/11 - 09/12, 2010
http://www.flyesl.com/contest_regist...ail.asp?cid=16

Any pure glider that can be launched from a winch qualifies
Easy Gliders to Xplorers, Gentle Ladies to Giants and Spirits to Supras</p>

Expert - If you are an expert sailplane pilot you will find the competition strong. Bring your A game.</p>

Sportsman - If you are a competent glider pilot who likes a challenge fly against other sportsman pilots and get coaching from experts who will help you improve your skills.</p>

Novice - If you are new to competition glider flying, no problem, we will help you. You will be flying with other novice pilots. Novice pilots fly Free!</p>

If you are not skilled on the winch, we will launch your plane for you. You keep the radio we work the winch. If your plane is a light weight woody, we know how to take it up gently.</p>

All AMA member pilots are welcome. Membership in the Eastern Soaring League if free. Click the links for more information, or ask your questions here.
</p>
Old 08-23-2010, 06:21 PM

Default RE: TD Contest - PA on 8/28-29 and VA on 9/11-12

The weather forecast for this weekend is spectatular.  No rain, winds under 6 mph and plenty of sunshine for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Hope to see you at the contest.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:47 AM

<div><font face="Arial" size="2"><div>What a fantastic weekend we had at the Daniel Boone Silent Flyers field. The weather was about as good as it gets.  We had 32 pilots on Saturday. I am not sure how many on Sunday but it was a few less.</div><div> </div><div>In my time in the ESL I have seen a few different formats for our TD contests.   </div><div> </div><div>I have flown the open winch format where the pilots were formed into flight groups.  Each flight group had a launch window which I think was about 10 minutes.  Pilots could launch when they were ready.  There were 4 or 5 winches so you could hold back till late in the round.  Many pilots would wait for someone else to mark the lift, then rush to the winches.  Or they would watch for lift indicators, then launch.  But the start of the round usually found few pilots walking to the winches.  This was a fun format that favored those who launched later in the round.  In the open winch format, as I recall, all pilots were scored against all pilots regardless of which flight group you were in.  Experts and sportsman were mixed in the flight groups.
</div><div>
 </div><div>The ESL has moved more and more toward the man on man format for our TD contests.  In this format pilots are randomized at the beginning of the contest and flight groups of up to 5 pilots are formed.  The number is based on the number of winches.  Those pilots launch in rapid sequence and are scored against each other.  The concept here is that they are all flying in the same air.  In this way, even if you all launched into a sink cycle, you were all in it.  You might only fly 5 minutes on a 10 minute task and still win the round for maximum score.  Typically the sportsman are flown together and the experts are flown together. The groups are not mixed, though there is no rule against mixing the classes.  In this format you can work out your timer arrangements at the start of the day.  Typically experts time for sportsman and sportsman for experts.  </div><div> </div><div>New Format</div><div>
Saturday we flew a format that I had not tried before, seeded man on man with experts and sportsman mixed together. I have to say it worked well. I found myself, a sportsman, flying in groups of experts on several rounds. That was fun and challenging as I don't normally fly against these pilots.  If there was a downside to this format it was that at the end of each round there was a time everyone had to wait while they put in the scores and publish the next round of flight groups. Then everyone had to try to work out timer arrangements. </div><div>
The sequence was that the lowest scoring group flew first in each round.  So, by mid day the first group of the next round did come up sooner as they felt that they could get that group up before the last group, the highest scoring group, had reported times.  This was a good step and reduced the wait time significantly although I think it placed more work on the scoring team.  Working out timers was still a bit tricky, however we made it work.  Hopefully everyone had a good time.  I know I did.</div><div>

Sunday we again flew a seeded MOM but the sportsman and experts were kept separated. From a contest flow point of view this ran more smoothly as they could seed the sportsman while the experts were flying and experts were seeded while sportsman were flying.  And since sportsman would never be flying with experts it was easer to work out timer arrangements.

I enjoyed them both and would be happy to fly either format again. 

Now, on to CASA  SEPTEMBER 11 &amp; 12  Warrenton, VA
<font color="#00265e">www.flyesl.com/contest_registration/c_detail.asp?cid=16</font></div></font></div>
Old 09-01-2010, 07:00 AM

CASA - SEPTEMBER 11 &amp; 12</p>

CASA Open
09/11 - 09/12, 2010
http://www.flyesl.com/contest_regist...ail.asp?cid=19</p>

Sanctions: AMA and ESL
Registrar: Skip Schow</p>

Event: Unlimited (ESL Expert &amp; Sportflyer), Unlimited RES (Limited to RUDDER, ELEVATOR &amp; SPOILER controls) (NON-ESL, see comments). A CONTESTANT MAY ONLY ENTER IN ONE CATEGORY EACH DAY. Thermal Duration: Tasks, Rounds and Times to be announced at the Pilots&rsquo; Meeting. Landing Task: 25ft, 50pt tape

Event Homepage: www.soarcasa.org
Awards: Expert, Sportflyer, &amp; RES trophies to 3rd place daily. Trophy for best two-day performance for Overall, Over 60, Jr/Sr

On field registration: Yes *Additional charges may apply, check "comments" for details.</p>

Schedule: Check-in Time 8:30 a.m.
Pilots meeting 9:15 a.m.
First Flight 9:30 a.m.</p>

Directions: See flyer/map/hotel info on website (click downloads, mem. open).

For GPS, MapQuest, etc, site address is 9669 Green Rd, Midland, VA 22728
</p>