Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
 Trex frustration! spinning madness!! >

Trex frustration! spinning madness!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Trex frustration! spinning madness!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trex frustration! spinning madness!!

Ok,so I have watched repeatadly Finless Bob's vids on some of the issues I have been having.
I should mention this is my first heli build and setup.
I am using A Trex 450 SE V2 with a DX6I.

Here's my big frustration,after following all the step by step,making sure that when I move the tail the slider moves in the correct direction, I.E. if I slide the tail to the right when looking from the tail to the nose the tails slider moves to the right,is this correct?
and I also checked that head lock or Head Hold is working as shown in the vid by giving full right stick and releasing, that the slider stays in that direction ,and vice versa, is this not correct?

So then when I spin up the heli by the time it's about 75% throttle ,just about to lift it spins like a top! So at this point I tried reversing the gyro by the switch on the gyro as per video,still nothing helps!and yes I do unplug and reset the heli.

I should mention I am using a Telebee #302 Gyro,but I do not have the gyro gain lead plugged into the receiver.
One other thing,when I first pulg in the heli , I notice a hum from the tail servo and it seems to twitch a little,but doesn't really move from center,unless I give it some stick.

Anyways,I hope someone can give me a bit of advice on what else I might be missing, as this is really frustrating to have this beautiful bird,and not being able to get it off the ground!
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:40 PM

Default RE: Trex frustration! spinning madness!!

is your tail rotor spinning the right direction?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:15 PM

yes sir,tail rotor spinning up into the down wash of main blades!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:19 PM

Hmmm I know nothing about that gyro, but if you don't have the gain lead plugged in, how are you setting the gain? Also, why don't you have the gain lead plugged in? It should be plugged in to the gear channel....then you can set your gain using gear ATVs or you can activate your gyro sense menu...either way I would think there is no reason why you shouldn't have the gain lead plugged in.

Skarn
Old 10-01-2008, 02:29 PM

The reason I don't have the gain wire plugged in is because I know another guy that uses this gyro and neither of us could get it to work properly when it was plugged in,so I use the gain pot on the gyro to set the gain!

another question I have is, should I be setting up anything under swash mix on the tx?
the current settings are Aile -60 ELEV - 60 PITCH + 100?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:56 PM

As long as the swash is doing the right thing don't mess with it. Once you get it flying you can fine tune but lets get it in the air first.

As to your spinning problem... I know you already answered this but lets make sure.

1. Looking at the side of the heli that the tail blades are on, the tail blades should be spinnning counter clockwise. Make sure that the thick part of the tail blades are leading.

2. Check the belt tension to ensure it's not skipping, even if the tail blades are turning they may not be full speed if the belt skips.

3. Since you've already tried reversing the gyro we won't get into whether it's on that right setting or not.

If the gyro is responding correctly then it can only be either the tail blades are turning in the wrong direction, they aren't turning fast enough or there isn't enough pitch.

The tail blades should have a slight pitch to them when the servo is centered. This is because in order to fly straight the tail blades much have some pitch to counter the torque, so in order to have equal spin rates in both directions there much be some pitch when the servo is at center.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the responses!
I am wondering how much pitch you are talking about and what direction?

Also,I believe the belt tension is good.
and when I say the heli is spinning,I mean really fast,like a top!
thanks again!
Old 10-02-2008, 03:30 AM

You really have us scratching our heads...Lol.. running out of ideas, as its usually what was listed above..... I would double check to be certain. Maybe your gyro is faulty ? Is there anyway you could borrow another for a test ? Also you seem to be certain the tail rotor is turning the right way.... And it could be... but maybe for some god forsaken reason, you have it twisted a couple times inside the boom ? If its turning the wrong way, its common for someone to have it twisted. but someone could still twist it worse, and going another turn in the boom allowing the tail to rotate then the right way, but also having now two twists in the boom reducing its effeciency and dragging...

Really digging deep here lol ! Main blades clockwise motion, tail blades counter clockwise motion......
I believe you may be overlooking something, or the gyro is just shot....... Let us know what you find out. I'am betting you'll find your answer soon.

Good luck !

~ Jeff
Old 10-02-2008, 11:51 AM

Hey guys,thanks for all the info!
I took my heli to a local flying spot last night,and it looks as if the part of the problem was that the rudder servo had been reversed,but even after switching that , it still seems that the gyro is behaving weird! for example,when I turn up the gain on the gain pot on the gyro,it causes the servo arm to slide forward? but it is virtually impossible for me to get it into head lock mode without doing that!

I guess that it shouldn't be doing that?
Anyways I broke down and ordered a real gyro last night (GY401) and a better servo after reading some more,so I will hopefully have this beat and actually get this bird in the air! whoohoo!
Thanks again!

anyone want to buy a Telebee gyro lol!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:16 AM

try reversing the ball links at the tail from leading edge to trailing edge or vice versa.you may have to change servo direction as well.also make sure the gyro is correctiing the proper direction or it will certainly spin like a top.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:27 PM

ok,I am really at my wits end!!!!
I have gone back and unplugged the tail servo from the gyro and set all the trims to zero,made sure the horn was at 90 degrees and centered the tail rotor blades.Then I plugged the servo back into the gyro and checked everything was spinning in the proper direction! I then spooled up the heli and it still spins like a top,even when i give full rudder stick in the opposite direction it still spins,but at a slower rate! what the hell is going on here? Is it supposed to be this difficult? Is there some rite of passage to the heli world?I mean even if the gyro was faulty,should I not be able to counter the motion with opposite rudder stick?I just don't understand!
Old 10-09-2008, 05:29 AM

If stick input slows the spin then your servo direction is ok but perhaps your gyro needs to be reversed now?
Try flipping the direction switch on the gyro and see if that helps.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:07 AM

I would guess reversed gyro as well....

Other than that, is your one-way bearing slipping? Is the pulley that the belt wraps around (both at boom and tail case) slipping?

Skarn
Old 10-09-2008, 07:24 AM

Funny thing, as I have the same Telebee's on my birds. I remember setting up to the video as well, and my bird spun like a top, as it was overcorrecting. You have to reverse the setting, tail counterclockwise, slider clockwise - or towards yourself. If you pull the tail towards yourself, the slider moves away from yourself. I believe it is a mistake in the video.
My Telebee works ok, but is not a solid gyro. 401 to the rescue.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 PM

Ok,so I am clear,when I am standing behind the tail looking forward,when I give right stick,the tail slider should move towards the tail boom?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:54 AM

forget about sliders and all that, look at the tail blade that is at the bottom. trailing edge should be facing to the rear and it should move the same diection as a boat rudder would to get the front to turn..........are you getting enough pitch from the tail in both directions? slightly longer ball links on the tail may solve your spinning.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: DarkSide41

forget about sliders and all that, look at the tail blade that is at the bottom. trailing edge should be facing to the rear and it should move the same diection as a boat rudder would to get the front to turn..........are you getting enough pitch from the tail in both directions? slightly longer ball links on the tail may solve your spinning.
Please note, as DarkSide41 describes, you are turning the nose of the heli not the tail.
ie... right stick turns the nose to the right.
I only mention this because I have seen a number of people start off thinking they are suppose to be turning the tail and then end up getting confused.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:11 PM

OK.. going to hook you up here..

First pic is how the slider should be in neuteral.
second pick is right stick. third left.

and the last if you push the tail like I am the slider should go in the opposite direction of the push (like pictured)

(sorry about the blurred pics... done quick, in low light, and hard to hold camera still while moving controls.)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29431.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1049232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49668.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1049233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76482.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1049234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36241.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1049235  
Old 10-10-2008, 10:29 PM

Hey dude,thanks for the great job explaining this,the pictures really helped alot!
Old 10-12-2008, 01:39 PM

Ok,well I have completely lost my mind now,thinking there was something wrong with the telebee gyro I purchase a 401 and 9257 servo,I have installed both and went through the entire setup,and still the same thing!!!!!!!!!! What the #$%^&* is up? Checked to make sure everything is moving the correct direction ,I simply don't understand!
Even if i try to counter with opposite stick,the heli still spins,although slower ,but how can this be?should it really need that much correction?

Oh,wait,I just noticed something interesting! I tried turning the tail rotor,which should turn the main rotor,but it doesn't! what could be the problem here?
Old 10-12-2008, 02:25 PM

Assuming the belt is tight and the cogs are not stripped off the only thing I can think of is the tail gear that engages the main drive or tail pully above it is slipping or I suppose the pully on either end could slip.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:01 PM

when you spin the tail, does the belt move... if not check the set screw on the tail rotor hub.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:53 AM

I didn't see the set screw at first,as it was under part of the slider,that was it,it actually works now!! wow,now all I need to do is trim it in a bit! thanks a million!