Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Start-cart questions >

Start-cart questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Start-cart questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start-cart questions

My AMT engine should be arriving next week. There are no jet guys nearby, so I'm in need of some advice. The factory guys have been a lot of help, but I've bugged them enough. I visited the factory a few weeks ago and got pretty thorough instructions on engine operation. The following questions involve setup details, and should be indepenent of brand. I'll be using air start with an auto start unit. Old timers feel free to offer sage advice.

Do most pilots use the small "Coleman campstove" type propane bottles or the larger "gas grill" type? What regulator/fittings will I need for the propane bottle? How do I adapt this to 4mm plastic tubing?
Old 08-07-2003, 12:15 AM
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amt sells a valve to connect to the Coleman type canisters that has an adapter for your propane line. Use the smaller canisters. (Coleman Type) The big gas grill types are too big. You will get many starts from the small Coleman type. I have the Auto Start unit and the Eliminator to start my turbine. No scuba tanks---Plus the Elimator can be used as a power source for your field equipment as well as for airing up your pnuematic accessories.

Kevin
Old 08-07-2003, 12:15 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Default Propane Valve

I got mine from AMT....Just a standard on/off brass Coleman Valve, to which they have threaded a 4mm Festo fitting....

The green campstove tanks are what it attaches to....the big tanks disappeared with the JPX turbines that ran on propane and not kero....

Tom
Old 08-07-2003, 12:19 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the small green campstove bottles.

There are a number of different fittings you can get for the above bottles. I use one that has a big brass barb on it for 1/4" ID tubing. I put 6mm tube over that, then use a Festo 6mm -> 4mm reducer to get down to the size of tubing that connects to the ASU.

Gordon
Old 08-07-2003, 12:23 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I meant to ask last time I talked to Scott at AMT, but forgot. I'd already asked so many questions, I hated to bother him again. I guess I'll bother him once more to add the regulator to my order.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:38 AM

Default eliminator

How big is the eliminator and how much does it weigh? I'll be test-standing for a while yet with big compressor available in my shop. After that, I'm hoping to get by with a 150 PSI portable tank (with recharge after each start) for a while. But I might consider purchasing one in the future.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:14 AM

The Eliminator isn't light!!! (But, it does have wheels and a removable handle) It has a four gallon pancake compressor tank, an 18 Ah battery, and a heavy duty 12V compressor. It comes with a battery charger/maintainer to charge the onboard battery. It also has a regulator for the pnuematic accessory side. This unit pumps up to 120 psi and is good for at least 25 starts on your Mercury. (On a single charge) I use the 12V battery to power my field charger and other 12V accessories too. So, instead of having to get a 12V battery, scuba tank, battery powered air compressor for my pnuematics, and all the other stuff needed to start and air up the plane, I have it all in one unit. I even mounted the ASU with Velcro on top of the polished S/S cover---Everything is in one place and conveniently rolls around!!! You can see a pic of it on AMT's web site.

Kevin
Old 08-07-2003, 01:57 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Default Eliminator??

Kevin:

All the Eliminator does is eliminate you from the the Royal Order of The Ancient Blow Start.......I mean, the absolute cool dude is the General with his BIG ole Scuba Tank strapped to his rusty Radio Flyer...

Tom
Old 08-07-2003, 02:09 AM

Tom,

LOL!!! You are right!!! Back in the JPX days I got a double hernea luggin' that tank around. (Not to mention the BBQ tank!!!) Now, I don't get a hernea 'cause the Eliminator is on wheels!!! I'll bow down to those that still belong to "The Royal Order of The Ancient Blow Start"------Wait a minute...that didn't sound right!?!? Anyway, I'll rephrase---I have respect for those that still worship the almighty SCUBA Tank. I have a P-120 now as well as the little Mercury. I really like both turbines!!!

Kevin
Old 10-14-2003, 11:11 PM

Default RE: Start-cart questions

i i´m Gonzalo Sandoval from Colombia i have a mercury and i´m at 7000 fts agl an i have some ideas for start my mercury easily if you prefer contact me at [email protected]