Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
F15C ARF What To Think? >

F15C ARF What To Think?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F15C ARF What To Think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 03:15 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F15C ARF What To Think?

Well, I was reading my new copy of RC Jets International and I came accross this add for an F15 C 1/10 scale ARF designed for turbine power, cool I thought. So I was very curious and I looked at the international website this afternoon. What I saw looked good so I sent them an email and in a matter of less than a couple of hours I got a response. And it was very detailed answering all the questions I had asked except for two but they need to speak with the factory for the answers. Have you guys taken a look at the F15? This is the US dealers site.
http://www.airpacmodels.com/aircraft/f-15c/f15c.htm
I Have never seen it before but they claim it will fly on anything from a Wren 54 on up to a 30 pound turbine I believe. I was thinking about maybe a Simjet 2300 with auto start? They will have three color schemes available I would like the all white version as I can then trim it how I wish. The person I have communicated with via email seems to be good guy. I realize this plane is not made in the USA so it might turn off some people. I just wanted to get some ideas.
Thanks Viper
Old 08-17-2003, 03:36 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Default first flights

hopefully Aero65 (aka Duke Chung)

will see your thread and comment on the flying qualities of the bird. It has flown thus far on a Wren 54 and a KJ 66. There may be one at Fresno Jets. Their website is continuously updated so check frequently.

very exciting times

Buck
Old 08-17-2003, 03:41 AM

Default F15C

Hi Buck, I have been in touch with Duke and he seems like a real nice guy. I just wanted to see what some of you other guys had to say. I really sounds like a nice plane to have and a good value as well.
Viper
Old 08-17-2003, 04:16 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Hello all

I'm going to change my user name to airpacmodels2 in the near future so that all on RCU know that I am a mfg. now. I hope that what I answer is OK if it needs to go then it is cool with me. I'm answering this due to the fact that our F-15C is one of a few that are in the US, and I do not know if the others are flying yet.

1. The airplane flys great, very much like an Avonds F-15 (which is one of my favorite airplanes) although a little faster. The airplane is smaller than the Avonds and the intakes are down in the flight position not up in the level position so the frontal area of the intakes is toned down somewhat. I have only 3 flights on it so far, as we are playing around with the CG and seeing what is too far aft. I can comment more as I fly it more in the future.

2. The airplane is not made in the US, Skymaster Jet is located in Taiwan and it is produced by them. However we are striving to use US made items from manufactures like Tamjets, Springair, Robart, Jet-Tech and other US mfgs to complete the accessory's for the Jet. AirPac Models is based in Hawaii, USA and is made up of R/C flyer's who will try our best to help out our flying Ohana (family); that is anyone who flys or is interested in flying jets no matter what brand.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:47 AM

Default Eagles

Aloha, (I've always wanted to say that)

The ARF F15 is beautiful. It's not quite as scale as Philip's, but for a quick fix it'd be just the ticket. I'd like to see a video of flight characteristics at some point.

Steve
Old 08-17-2003, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ARF F-15

I was there the two days that Duke flew that Skymaster F-15. It did fly with a Wren 54 on the first flight. We measured the thrust at 8.5 lbs. installed and the weight of the bird 20lbs dry. It rotated of off a paved runway with a pucker facto of 6 but once in the air it flew great. This is at sea level, 85degrees F and with a brisk 10-15 mph wind. That Wren engine produced 12 lbs of thrust when it was installed in a JHH Hawk. The lost of thrust attributed to the thrust tube. The thrust tube was designed for the P-80. The following Sunday Duke had the KJ-66 installed with the same tube. We measured the thrust at 14 lbs installed with a slight increase on the weight. This engine normally produces 17 lbs on the test stand. Again the lost of thrust attributed to the tube. This time the F-15 rotated in about 1/3 the distance of the Wren 54 and the flight was significantly better. The bird was to fly with a Simjet 1700 this weekend but the engine has not arrived yet. It is a really stable platform. Duke put it into a very high AOA with no forward airspeed and the bird just dropped it's nose.
It's a great looking bird. The pictures just do not do it justice. You can't see all the panel lines on all the surfaces in the pictures. To be truthful it looks like a large plastic model. That's how much detail there is. That F-15 did not have rudders but I understand from Duke that all Skymaster aircraft for the American market will have rudders installed. Now I'll have to save up for that F-15 as it will be my next investment. I do have video on the flights and as soon as I figure how to post it I will.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:51 AM
My Feedback: (17)

there are tons of videos on skymaster's web site...
Their F18 looks gorgeous too.....
Old 08-17-2003, 03:22 PM

Default F15

HI Mokulele, I am thinking about installing a Simjet 2300 and a Tamms Bifurecated exhaust in mine. That should make the performance much better I would think. Truth is I will buy the plane and then keep saving for the turbine It sure looks nice though I cant wait to see one close up.
Thanks Joe
Old 08-17-2003, 09:12 PM

Well,
I suppose getting one soon for testing. Hope it be here few weeks before Fresno. I plan to have it at Fresno for demo.
Look me up at Fresno to get closer review.
This F-15 are made by the same people making Viper Jet. I pretty sure is a good quality kit.
Brg,
Tam
Old 08-18-2003, 01:55 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Default f15

anyone looking to buy one of these in the states i have a red white and blue one with all the extras. don kanak 630-768-2878
Old 08-18-2003, 05:14 AM

Default ARF F-15

Aloha all,
Well I got to fly the Skymaster F-15 today, Duke got some dust in his eyes from takeoff so I had to take over. It still had the KJ-66 and original pipe. This time though Duke installed a TAM's smoke system which added about a pound of weight. The bird took a little more runway to rotate than last week but in-flight performance seemed better and faster. It was a bit cooler than last week. I have also flown Duke's Avonds F-15 with this KJ-66 and the two aircraft fly pretty much the same. The smoke system was awesome even with a lot of cloud cover. BTW there should soon be video's of the flights at www.airpacmodels.com. I have always admired the Avonds F-15, it is a hallmark for R/C jets, and I'm sure that the Skymaster F-15 will also be well welcomed by the R/C jet community.
Viper, with that Simjet 2300 the performance will be outstanding. Of course you will need to detune the engine or install a speed limiter. The thrust of the 2300 will exceed the weight of the F-15.
Tam, Duke mentioned that you would be getting the bird soon. Just waiting for the shipment from the manufacturer. Duke is also taking the aircraft to Superman.
Aloha,
Larry
Old 08-18-2003, 12:40 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Default Controls

What type of flight controls does the plane have? Does it come ready for aileron, elevator, and rudder or is it taileron only?
Old 08-18-2003, 05:10 PM

Default Controls

Realdeal,
The demonstration model has tailerons only. All Skymaster F-15's for the USA market will have rudders also. Duke is open for suggestions or recommendations so let him know your desires. He has already made changes to the F-15 design which have been incorporated in the expected shipment from the manufacturer. He is also working with Skymaster on the requirements for the F-18. I believe he should be getting a demonstration F-18 soon.
Larry
Old 08-20-2003, 01:53 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Default Gear

Will my Kangaroo landing gear (Robart 630) work in this plane? What size wheels are you using?
Old 08-20-2003, 02:29 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Default Duke

Hi Duke a good guy to deal with,the jet community needs more like him!
Old 08-21-2003, 02:42 AM

Default ARF F-15

Realdeal,
I spoke with Duke and he believes that the 630's should fit. He hasn't tried it yet but will in the future. He is using 3" for the mains and 2.75 " for the nose. He went with the large nose wheel because he wants to try the jet off of grass also. He's hoping to get his Simjet 1700 this week to fly this weekend then he'll try the grass runway. This bird will definitely takeoff of grass, even with the KJ-66, and from the landings that I have seen should have no problem landing on our grass runway.
Larry
Old 08-27-2003, 03:39 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Any more updates on the model?
Old 08-27-2003, 04:09 PM
My Feedback: (1)

John wants a new plane.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:20 PM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Their JAS-39 Gripen looks promising. I just think it's a very cool, relatively unmodeled airplane. But then there are lots of those..
Old 08-27-2003, 06:29 PM

Default F15

I still really like the all white F15, you paint it however you wish. I would love to have one but it looks like I am more on a 12 pound budget right now. The question is do I buy a Wren 54 next year and smaller plane or keep saving my money for a bigger plane and 30 pound turbine. All the while flying my glow and electric ducted fans?
Viper
Old 08-27-2003, 07:41 PM

Default Engine choice

Viper21,

Your engine choice ultimately depends on your future "fleet" plans. Continue your research on different aircraft that are available and sort them into thrust class catagories. If the majority of aircraft you are interested in fall into say a 17-30 lb thrust catagory, hold out for that 30 lb engine that you can de-tune down to 17 lb for the bottom end of your interest range without limiting you higher end.

If you think you can be happy for a good while with the aircraft available for 12lb thrust class turbines, get the Wren.

If you win the lottery or inherit gobs of cash from a long lost uncle, then buy both.

Whatever turbine you decide to purchase, it's a good idea to pick a "trainer" type aircraft such as a Facet, Boomerang, or AV8R to get used to the nuances to turbine operation before moving on to something like the F-15.

My $0.02.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:51 PM

Default Turbines

Thanks Pratt, I am going to keep saving and get a 30 pound turbine. My first choice is the Jetcat 120-160. Second being the Simjet 3000 which also seems like a very good engine.
Thanks Joe
Old 08-27-2003, 09:59 PM
My Feedback: (30)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aiea>F-15C

Hey Larry, I lived in Aiea way back in 69-71 Navy days, How are things there? Where are you testing the F-15 at? Very intrested in this plane!Thanks
Old 08-28-2003, 06:32 AM

Default ARF F-15

Aloha Tom,
Duke is testing that aircraft at Kaneohe Marine Base. We were lucky to get it back after 911. This is our only remaining paved runway. We also fly at a grass strip at Kawanui Swamp but it is very hard on the landing gear. Aloha State RC is looking into improving the conditions but it is tough, money and approval wise. Duke just got a few more F-15's which he will be outfitting with different engines and thrust tubes and will be taking them to Superman. I'm not 100% sure but they should be a PST 600R, Simjet 1700 and P 120. He wants to evaluate the wide range of engine combinations and capabilities of this F-15.
Back in 1967 I moved to Pearl City and had sugar cane in my back yard. All the cane is gone from Oahu now with only a little pineapple left. Well Oahu has certainly grown in the last 30 years. If you have not visited Ohau since you left you would not recognize it. Honolulu is no longer a little city but a metropolis now. I guess it's the same just about anyplace in the USA. Of course it is still a friendly place.
Aloha
Larry
Old 08-30-2003, 06:18 AM

Default My are schedule to test flight on sunday

I just got my this morning.
After work out. I got my crew and friends coming over helping me put the F-15 together. We got 80% of the work done. That inlcuding retrofit the landing gear plate to fit Y/A F-15 scale landing gear.
Tomorrow putting in the main and do the wires and turbine installation. We will test her on sunday.
Report coming soon. I try to as a friend with his new camera coming out to do some nice photos.
Brg,
Tam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.