Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 2 x RC Jet International >

2 x RC Jet International

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

2 x RC Jet International

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 x RC Jet International

Well myself and a few other friends seemed to receive 2 copies of the same RCJI this month though the post. I have to say that rather than receive 2 copies I would have prefered one copy with far more content. In my view the mag is getting thinner and thinner and there is far less of interest in it for me. I was wondering if others felt the same.

If it was not for the fact that the mag is bought for me as a Christmas Pressie I think I would not bother to renew my subscription

Dennis
Old 07-16-2011, 12:16 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2 x RC Jet International

Found the same problem with content and size versus cost....did not renew my subscription this year, [>:]
Old 07-16-2011, 12:19 AM

same with me dennis kids got there own copy this month
Old 07-16-2011, 01:12 AM

Received 422 Likes on 355 Posts

Yes, content not as good as itwascouple of years ago, think they will have to raise their game, or lose customers.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:22 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I don't know how magazines hope/expect to compete with the Internet. I used to look forward to coverage of events etc or info on new products. Photos etc came 2-3 months after the event and were limited to 2-3 pages.

Nowadays, even while the event is taking place there are hundreds of pics/stories/videos posted almost realtime. New products are posted with discussion threads etc.

Ads/classified are better.

I just think that times change and the current capabilities of the Internet is a step change and the end of magazines (unless the mags are able to still make profit with greatly reduced numbers of copies sold).

Can anyone think of where a magazine offers more than the web??

Rgds
Mark
Old 07-16-2011, 01:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: schroedm

I don't know how magazines hope/expect to compete with the Internet. I used to look forward to coverage of events etc or info on new products. Photos etc came 2-3 months after the event and were limited to 2-3 pages.

Nowadays, even while the event is taking place there are hundreds of pics/stories/videos posted almost realtime. New products are posted with discussion threads etc.

Ads/classified are better.

I just think that times change and the current capabilities of the Internet is a step change and the end of magazines (unless the mags are able to still make profit with greatly reduced numbers of copies sold).

Rgds
Mark
Naaaa, the internet is overrated, it will die out in a few years
But agree, magazines are getting thinner and thinner !

Old 07-16-2011, 02:57 AM

ORIGINAL: bigplumbs

Well myself and a few other friends seemed to receive 2 copies of the same RCJI this month though the post. I have to say that rather than receive 2 copies I would have prefered one copy with far more content. In my view the mag is getting thinner and thinner and there is far less of interest in it for me. I was wondering if others felt the same.

If it was not for the fact that the mag is bought for me as a Christmas Pressie I think I would not bother to renew my subscription

Dennis
Ok Dennis your opinion has been noted,but why don,t you and others write articles for RCJI,like the Mig thead you put on here,that thread writtern for RCJI would have more than paid for the model,anybody can write an article for RCJI if they so wish, yes it takes a bit of time and effort but at least you would be paid for that,perhaps you do not need the extra cash!! my very best regards Keith
Old 07-16-2011, 04:32 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: jetmodeller

ORIGINAL: bigplumbs

Dennis
Ok Dennis your opinion has been noted,but why don,t you and others write articles for RCJI,like the Mig thead you put on here,that thread writtern for RCJI would have more than paid for the model,anybody can write an article for RCJI if they so wish, yes it takes a bit of time and effort but at least you would be paid for that,perhaps you do not need the extra cash!! my very best regards Keith
That is a good point Keith. I am soon to get an MB339 I will see if the Mag is interested in an article on that

Regards

Dennis
Old 07-20-2011, 07:23 AM

Hello bigplumbs!

I agree, magazines are finding it more difficult to keep up with the internet and the past few or more RCJI magazines have had contributions from the same people now. Seems that there are only a few reliable people out there happy to put pen to paper and submit their articles to the magazine. There is only so much the editor of the magazine can do on their own and there are only so many Jet related events that can be attended between issues. I'm sure there are many more RC jet modelers out there who are building lovely models or are expert in areas that other readers would find interesting or even attend nearby local events that can be reported on. As Keith said, you can make some decent money from submitting an article to the magazine. It would be great to hear what other people are doing or any other useful tips that could be useful to other readers. It does take a bit of time to write it all down but when you see your article in print it is a pretty cool feeling. Go on - document the MB339 build and let's see your opinion on your kit and what issues you had and how you overcame them. I'm sure the magazine will welcome your contribution with open arms. Oh, and I too got two copies of the mag in the post - my Dad will be getting his own copy this month!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:33 AM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: schroedm

Rgds
Mark

My computer is awkward when I'm in the bathroom and needing reading material! haha

It's not just RCJI, it's all magazines. I recently picked up a copy of Model Airplane News for some odd reason and have realized that while it's not really gotten any thinner, it is quite literally 80% ad's. For the cost of the magazines, I'd like to have at least 50% content. The other sad truth is, I'm so much less interested in what's being written about these days (ARF's and electrics) that out of the 20% content that was in that issue, there was ONE article that held some interest, and that was Top Gun.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:50 AM

I'm very happy with it.
I got a freebie Permagrit sanding block when I renewed my subscription recently.
http://www.permagrit.com/product_rev...roducts_id=211
Old 07-20-2011, 09:09 AM

For me I find the RCJI and similar mags of great value and permanency of information.

Big plus for mags is you don't get the all the "off topic" crap that flies around on the forums [:@]

marcs
Old 07-20-2011, 03:41 PM
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What's pissing me off with Mags is they don't have any cahonies anymore. If a product is crap, or has something wrong with it - they should include that in the article, send a preliminary copy to the manufacturer and ask them for a resolution before the final write-up is released to print - put a deadline on it. Problem is that the articles are written to generate advertizing revenue and the previous statement would destroy that business model in a heartbeat.

I used to love reading RC Report because 'ol Gordon was not afriad to call it like it is in spite of the consequences of his advertizers. It eventually lead to the magazine's demise.

Interestingly, the internet seems to have filled the void where it gives individuals the stage to share thier experience with the masses - question is - are they really "experts" or just some cracker with a computer....

PaulD