Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 ElectroDynamics, best source for NEW A123 and other batteries >

ElectroDynamics, best source for NEW A123 and other batteries

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

ElectroDynamics, best source for NEW A123 and other batteries

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:17 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ElectroDynamics, best source for NEW A123 and other batteries

Thanks ElectroDynamics, WOW, what an experience. Short story: There is another online battery guy. Has many comprehensive battery FAQs pages, sells A123, NiCd, NiMh. Problem is, he refuses to hand out his business number. Claims if he had to answer phones, he would never get work done. Says "read my FAQ page, its comprehensive". Agreed, its comprehensive, but 3 minutes of phone time and I would UNDERSTAND the concepts so much better. Just educate me enough so I can understand your product, and I will happily buy and then keep educating myself. But he refused phone contact and the emails became more frustrating over time.

But what about for the rest of us mere mortals who aren't the best at understanding batteries and just need 3 minutes of phone time? Too bad.

Well I used NiCd's on all my jets up until recently. Then guys in the know like Chad (SinCityJets) who converted to A123's a long time ago, and some of my friends locally, rightfully told me of the wonders of A123's. Cool, so I decided to switch to A123's. But I wasn't getting the difference in Old vs. New generation chargers, balance leads, universal cell taps, etc...so I went online to aforementioned guys website, ordered 10 A123's and sent some emails asking some basic questions.

I was close in understanding but not close enough and I just needed some phone guidance. After a few emails back and forth and him repeatedly referring me to his all-knowing FAQs page, I still didn't get it. My fault, I am battery-dumb. He emails me saying he has cancelled my $600 order, refunded my payment on Paypal and will refuse to sell to me until I "get it" since he doesn't want to be responsible for me crashing a jet. 'Not very nice' I thought. Would I ever do business with him again? No.

Enter ElectroDynamics. http://www.electrodynam.com/rc/index.shtml

I called them next day and spoke to Cathy. Very informative. Took 10 minutes, explained all. I "got it" now. Cathy put me in touch with their engineer. Get this: I sent them my Hitec X4 Charger, he custom made A123's for it. I even sent them a pair of "old generation A123's" with the Gen 1 Charger leads that used to be on them. They converted them all to work with my Hitec X4 Charger. Tested them all. Sent them back to me with step by step instructions on how to use, balance, charge with my specific charger. Then called to make sure I "get it". AND they were $5 cheaper per battery than the guy who wouldn't help me over the phone and cancelled my order with him.

ElectroDynamics service was AWESOME. Their products, top notch. I am fully converted to A123's, and actually understand what all the terms I mentioned above mean. I am floored. ElectroDynamics, thank you very much, you have a customer in me for life. I was so impressed, I ended up spending close to $1000 getting a whole bunch more of their products.

I know there are many options of purveyors out there guys, and I know most of them sell good stuff. But if you are like me and "battery-dumb" give ElectroDynamics a shot. Cathy is great, and their whole team is top notch and professional. And with so many vendors to choose from, why would I ever go back to somebody who thinks if I can't understand EVERYTHING written on their website, that I don't deserve to buy from them?

With so many vendors to choose from today in the RC world anymore, the people who are less jaded, less arrogant, and more interested in customer service are always going to get our business.

I thought at the least, this issue was worthy of a post on RCU.

Take care,
Shaz
Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ElectroDynamics, best source for NEW A123 and other batteries

Exellent products and exellent service !!!!!!! A great place to shop for great products !!!!

Danno
Old 07-31-2011, 09:00 PM
My Feedback: (8)

I too converted to 123's from ElectroDynamics two weeks ago. I'm also sporting a brand new shiny Hitec X4 charger. Being a battery illiterate myself, their customer service got me on the right track in short order. I will do business with them in the future.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: bcovish

I too converted to 123's from ElectroDynamics two weeks ago. I'm also sporting a brand new shiny Hitec X4 charger. Being a battery illiterate myself, their customer service got me on the right track in short order. I will do business with them in the future.
Nice Bob! Join the battery illiterate fraternity of jet nerds who can get good service from less-snobby vendors! Now that I know what I am doing, I realize my Hitec X4 Charger rocks!

Shaz
Old 07-31-2011, 09:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you Shaz for sharing your experience. It's always nice to get a new good address.

ORIGINAL: sskianpour
I even sent them a pair of ''old generation A123's'' with the Gen 1 Charger leads that used to be on them.
What are you referring to ? I am not aware of new generation A123. Are you talking about the new gen Eneloops?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:49 PM

I am referring to the leads, not the batteries Oli.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:55 PM

Hi,

My experience with ED was one of the best I've had with a vendor since I've been in the hobby. I left a message with a question, they called back and followed up/followed through until the question was answered and the problem was solved. The products are top-notch and they're SMART!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: sskianpour

I am referring to the leads, not the batteries Oli.

Ok, thanks.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:49 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to add that I have been dealing with and buying from Andy and Cathy for a good ten years. Andy is unequaled in his knowledge of all thing R/C electronic. Also, you can not find nicer folks to deal with.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:45 AM
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Woketman

I have to add that I have been dealing with and buying from Andy and Cathy for a good ten years. Andy is unequaled in his knowledge of all thing R/C electronic. Also, you can not find nicer folks to deal with.
Ditto for me. Cathy knows me by name (although we've never met in person) and Andy shows up frequently at fly-in's. Custom orders (practicaly every order for me) is no problem. I wish more vendors were like them.

FYI, the CellPro/Revolectrix line of chargers are excellent for charging A123's and reasonably priced. I just picked up a second one from Andy at KY Jets.

Craig
Old 08-01-2011, 03:49 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

+1
Old 08-01-2011, 05:00 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm looking forward to finally switching over and submitted an online order this weekend. I wonder if the 4600mAH pack is a bit much for my .60 Das Ugly Stick?

I need more cowbell.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:29 AM

ORIGINAL: olnico

What are you referring to ? I am not aware of new generation A123.
Hi Olivier,

But yes, there is a new type of (rectangle) LiFe batteries on the market now (I took these photos at SingaHobby in Singapore in May) :

Nicolas.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70682.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1642793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56142.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1642794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55768.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1642795  
Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 AM
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats Shazz!!! welcome to the A123 club. I have four cell pro4 chargers and have been doing biz with Andy for 20yrs. You will finally see what i have been talking about over the last several years. When someone says to me they used nicads because the jet needs nose weight...i say...A123 batts and LEAD is better!!!
Vin...
Old 08-01-2011, 07:05 AM
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used them for years with great service also.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:48 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Yup, been drinking the kool-aid for a year now - heck, I even convert some lost souls from time to time!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, I just converted to A123s right before Ky Jets. I thought about some of the chargers mentioned but decided to go with the ED charger. I knew I would see Andy at two or three jet rallies if I had any problems and he was there for any questions I had. Also talking on the phone was non problem.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:14 PM
My Feedback: (3)

I also bought 4 A123 batteries, switches and tester from them.   Very very fast shipping
Old 08-01-2011, 07:46 PM

Hey Shaz, glad to hear you finally made the conversion!!!! It's about time.

Have fun!

Chad
Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 PM

Andy and the team at Electordynamics are second to none in service. Recommend there A123's , power backer system and HD Ultra switches. Awesome products.
Good experiences with there gear. Cheers