Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 where to get RAM phone cord ? >

where to get RAM phone cord ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

where to get RAM phone cord ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:00 AM
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default where to get RAM phone cord ?

Hello guys,

My friend needs a new phone cord for his RAM ECU to GSU connection - where can we get one ?

I emailed RTI about this but they are on vacation.

thanks.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:25 AM
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: where to get RAM phone cord ?

ORIGINAL: i3dm

Hello guys,

My friend needs a new phone cord for his RAM ECU to GSU connection - where can we get one ?

thanks.
Hey i3dm. All that is, Is a Cat-5 computer plug and cord. If you take your old one to any computer store and let them see the wire color order, they can make you one up. Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:59 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey i3dm. All that is, Is a Cat-5 computer plug and cord. If you take your old one to any computer store and let them see the wire color order, they can make you one up. Hope this helps.
It is not a CAT-5 5 cable. Cat-5 cables have 8 pins the RAM cord only has 6 which is a RJ12 connector. Its not as simple as taking it too a computer store and have them make one. I needed a new on and took it to my network guys they made me a new one but it did not work, 3 of us checked the pins on the ends of a working cable and it was identical, but or some unknown reason the new one still would not work. Jetcat sells the cable if you need it right away.

Patrick
Old 08-14-2011, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: sirrom

It is not a CAT-5 5 cable. Cat-5 cables have 8 pins the RAM cord only has 6 which is a RJ12 connector. Its not as simple as taking it too a computer store and have them make one. I needed a new on and took it to my network guys they made me a new one but it did not work, 3 of us checked the pins on the ends of a working cable and it was identical, but or some unknown reason the new one still would not work. Jetcat sells the cable if you need it right away.

Patrick

I thought Jetcat cables are different - are you sure they are the same ?
Old 08-14-2011, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible that it is an RJ11, the same as JetCat uses?
Bob Price in Texas can tell you for sure, as he designed all of the electronics for your engine. Bob is sometimes hangs out here, and I am sure he can help.

If it is an RJ11, you can purchase the crimper plugs and cable at Home Depot and Radio Shack.
Here's a photo of my setup.
I make up special length cables frequently for myself and others.
Maybe there is a home improvement store or Radio Shack equivalent in Israel that could help you out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45330.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1648811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oq20429.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1648812  
Old 08-14-2011, 03:01 PM
My Feedback: (92)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are RJ25 plugs which can be purchase at Radio Shack as well as a 6 pin crimper.

Phil

Old 08-15-2011, 07:06 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I make my own cable but there is a switch with two of the wires Rx to tx. Its not like a extention
Old 08-15-2011, 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

I make my own cable but there is a switch with two of the wires Rx to tx. Its not like a extention

Can you please post a diagram of the pins on both sides. Like I said before I asked my network guys here to make me a cable and they made me a cable that looked like my original one and it did not work. Then I checked it against a working cable from my second start box and the cables looked exactly the same.

Patrick
Old 08-15-2011, 11:16 AM

can someone sell my friend a made cable? we cant get this connector locally.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: i3dm

Hello guys,

thanks.
Modelbau USA should have it
Old 08-15-2011, 04:54 PM
My Feedback: (106)

Can you please post a diagram of the pins on both sides. Like I said before I asked my network guys here to make me a cable and they made me a cable that looked like my original one and it did not work. Then I checked it against a working cable from my second start box and the cables looked exactly the same.

Patrick
Patrick-Are you sure it's not your socket on the HDT or the ECU?? The reason I say that is because after I made my 6 pin cable, mine didn't work either and come to find out it was a bad socket on the HDT.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:05 PM

ORIGINAL: hooker53

Patrick
Patrick-Are you sure it's not your socket on the HDT or the ECU?? The reason I say that is because after I made my 6 pin cable, mine didn't work either and come to find out it was a bad socket on the HDT.

I am positive it is not my ECU or HDT. Here is how it went. I have two start boxes (HDT's). HDT#1 cable had the little clips that hold the cable into the ports break off after many uses. So I took the cable to my network guys they snipped the ends and put new ends on. It no longer worked with the new ends. We checked the old ends against the new ones and the pins were identical, but it still did not work. Took cable from HDT#2 and it worked on HDT#1 and again we checked the pins on the cable to match the wire colors. The cables were identical, but Cable 1 did not work while Cable 2 worked perfectly. FYI the second cable also needs the ends replaced but I am not taking the chance of the second cable not working.

Patrick
Old 08-15-2011, 06:24 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23462.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1649252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98990.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1649253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74359.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1649254   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27997.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1649255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77757.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	1649256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44556.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1649257  
Old 08-16-2011, 03:59 AM

I have now emailed Modellbau USA to ask for a quote. anyone else carrying this cable ?
Old 08-25-2011, 06:43 AM

Guys, do you know if Jetcat uses the exact same plugs and cable ? both are 6 pins.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:26 AM
My Feedback: (8)

I honestly do not know anything about the RAM cables but do know the JetCat cables. On a JetCat cable make sure it is wired such that the connector is flipped at the opposite end. In other words if you were to look at the cable lying flat, on one end the RJ11 jack would have the tab at the top and the other end it would be on the bottom.

Most guys who made there own in my days at JetCat and said they wouldn't work found they had installed teh connector incorrectly on one end. I know phone cables are not like this, that is why they never worked on JetCat motors, they were wired differently.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: John Redman

I honestly do not know anything about the RAM cables but do know the JetCat cables. On a JetCat cable make sure it is wired such that the connector is flipped at the opposite end. In other words if you were to look at the cable lying flat, on one end the RJ11 jack would have the tab at the top and the other end it would be on the bottom.

Most guys who made there own in my days at JetCat and said they wouldn't work found they had installed teh connector incorrectly on one end. I know phone cables are not like this, that is why they never worked on JetCat motors, they were wired differently.
So its a no go, as the RAM cable has identical connectors on both ends.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:40 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Harley said, Call Bob Price... He's probely got them laying around.... 512.259.9232

Danno
Old 08-25-2011, 01:31 PM
My Feedback: (8)

The connectors are identical, but flipped causing a backwards wiring situation as you might call it. teh RJ11 connector is on both sides.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

Like Harley said, Call Bob Price... He's probely got them laying around.... 512.259.9232

Danno

Just did - thank you !
Old 08-25-2011, 02:58 PM
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

John is exactly right. It's been several years since I had a RAM. When I had a cable problem I noticed that although the same connector is used on both ends one is reversed. If you lay the cable flat one connector tab faces up and the other faces down. When it's plugged in the small wire sequence is reversed or flipped over left to right.

Since I didn't want to invest in a crimper just to make one cable I bought a standard phone extension, cut it in the middle, flipped over one half and re-soldered the wires so that the pin-out was the same as the old cable. It worked fine.

Joe
Old 08-25-2011, 05:24 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I have a RAM 500 with the cable that works. I have replaced one end that was intermittant with a Radio Shack RJ-25 connector. The connector is 6 pins. If you look at the connector from the pin end (not the cable end) with the locking tab up the color code is as follows on both connectors. Starting at the left blue, Yellow, Green, Red, Black, White.

If you still need a cable I am sure I can make one. I have the connectors, cable and the crimp tool.

[email protected]