Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Powerbox Cockpit SRS Problems >

Powerbox Cockpit SRS Problems

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Cockpit SRS Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerbox Cockpit SRS Problems

I have had what I would describe as a major failure with the new Powerbox Cockpit SRS (Serial Bus) unit fitted to my Carf Tucano. I had installed the cockpit as per instructions with the following layout.<p class="MsoNormal"><o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal"><o></o>2 x Futaba 6108SB receivers<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">2 x Aileron servo&rsquo;s Futaba S9156<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">2 x Flap servo&rsquo;s Futaba S9156<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">2 x Elevator Servo&rsquo;s Futaba S9156<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">1 x Rudder servo Futaba S9157<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">1 x Steering Servo Futaba S3305<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">3 x Jetronic dual air valves (doors &amp; gear)<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">1 x Jetronic proportional valve (brakes)<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">1 x ECU throttle<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">1 x ECU Auxiliary<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">1 x Jetcat Smoke pump channel<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">1 x Relay kill switch<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">2 x 2 cell, 2200 Mah Lipo&rsquo;s (original Jetcat batteries)<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">The receivers are plugged into RX1 &amp; RX4 via the supplied 3 core wires, as they are serial bus design, these are the only wires connected from rx's to the Cockpit unit much like spectrum satellite rx's.<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">Based on the instructions, I powered up the unit and proceeded to set up Futaba as the receivers being used. I then powered down and connected both receivers and then powered up again. Both receivers were then bound to the radio and all basic functions (flight controls) were tested.<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">At this point I started to work on the gear sequencer programming and after approximately 10 minutes I noticed that the green status lights on both receivers had gone out, I then found I no longer had a radio link to the plane.<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">After some testing of the receivers with a separate battery pack, I concluded that the power supply from the Powerbox S-Bus lead had failed. After some additional testing, I concluded that I could run a &ldquo;patch&rdquo; lead to each receiver Batt port from a spare servo output port on the Powerbox and the receivers would work fine, as a precaution I slipped the positive pin out of the S-Bus lead at the receiver end to ensure there was no potential for back feed in case the receiver power supply had pulled down to zero.<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">Both receivers functioned as per normal during the rest of the set up and ground runs at home. These patch leads were left in place (and still are) during the maiden flight and subsequent flights.<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">Whilst this system and my plane are actually working (very well), I am at a loss to understand how the Powerbox Cockpit SRS with the &ldquo;advertised&rdquo; redundancy can have such a simple failure that would have led to absolute destruction of my aircraft and very much potential damage to persons and/or property. Having a patch lead from a spare servo port to the receiver at least gives me the confidence that I have some form of power redundancy, as if I now lose power to the receivers I must also be losing power to the servo&rsquo;s.<o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal">From my observation, there is no redundancy for the receivers, this is very disappointing based on the advertised specs and price, I also use the standard Cockpit unit in my F14 and the Royal unit in my A10 although I am now curious if the power for the receivers on those has a redundancy???

An email to the Powerbox Company resulted in a replay that I "must" have plugged the S-bus lead across the line of zero volt terminals on the Futaba reciever's thus shorting out the mosfet? when it was pointed out that the recievers were supplied power from the Cockpit during the binding and setup time which was well over 10 mins, they answered that the Mosfet could take a short for a few milliseconds and die later?? They pointed out the the 2 x 6108SB rx's only require 0.1 amps and the Mosfet is rated to 10 amps. When I then asked how the tiny s-bus lead (about 28 gauge) could withstand a 10 amp hit without even discouloring the plastic wire covering, they replied that the thin wire can take 10 amps for some milliseconds and "this is the time it takes to destroy a mosfet" so one email says that the mosfet can "take a hit and die some time later" and another that says that "it only takes milliseconds to destroy the mosfet". I still have the emails if anybody wants a laugh.

I then went back into the programming side of the Cockpit and selected Spectrum as the radio system (you can select Spectrum, Futaba, Multiplex or Jeti, the Spectrum must have 3.3 volts all the others are rated to 5.9 volts), low &amp; behold I now had power coming from the S bus lead, if I then select any of the other 3 I get nothing, nada, zilch..

I asked Powerbox to comment but I guess they lost the email address.

I know I can get a replacement unit from my distributor no problems, Powerbox had offered to fix it free of charge if I pay shipping!! But even if I had a new one I could not trust it as I know ABSOLUTELY that the S bus leads were connected correctly, I had done the binding process and I had operated all the surfaces, it was after all this that the power failed to the rx's. If I fitted a new unit I would still run a patch lead from the servo ports to power the rx's and I would advise EVERBODY else to do the same, as there is what I believe is a software issue (if they only use one set of mosfet outputs) or a swtchover issue (if they use 2 outputs 3.3 &amp; 5.9).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF YOU ARE USING A POWERBOX COCKPIT SRS POWER DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!

<o></o></p>
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62742.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	1650205  
Old 08-18-2011, 05:09 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Powerbox Cockpit SRS Problems

Sorry to hear this. I have 3 installed and, fortunately, have had no issues.

The only report I have heard is an unusual result from the usage of the sequencer. This issue manifested itself after several normal flights. Looks like your issue started after you setup the sequencer?

I have not used the sequencer on any of mine so maybe there's a correlation?? Emmerich and Richard are stand up guys and know their products. Their English is great but not foolproof so maybe some of the technicalities are lost in translation?

Rgds,
Mark
Old 08-18-2011, 05:37 AM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Aussie Bart
.....Both receivers functioned as per normal during the rest of the set up and ground runs at home. These patch leads were left in place (and still are) during the maiden flight and subsequent flights...

Sorry but do you mean that even when the manufactor advice you to send the unit back for service , you risk it and flew your plane??

This is not wise at all. Its a risk for your plane but others too . Please ship back your unit for service.

I have 8 units set up for my self and others till now with no promblem at all.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 AM

i wonder why PowerBox include this with each unit

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73128.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	1650283  
Old 08-18-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmmmmm!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Guys,

Not happy today.....my second powerbox cockpit failed today. The gear door sequencer failed yet again on a second model and did not deploy the gear when I flicked the gear switch. This ended in a poor belly landing which damaged the fuselage on my SM F4.....not happy. Air system was pressurised but display and door sequencer on the cockpit was frozen. Could not even access the receiver data screen to examine for fades etc. Only power cycling the thing made a difference and then it resumed normal function....until next time.

I have owned two of these units in two deparate models ( a SM F18F and the F4) and both have had failures with the gear door sequencer....that's a 100% failure rate. The last one took only 3.5 flights to fail, the first less than five flights and the regulator malfunctions triggered that failure. No regulator malfunction on this one today, just loss of sequencer function.

There has to be a software problem with these units. I will contact my local supplier and see what happens....not happy!

Craig.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

I was going to get the competition version since my electric gear controller has a sequencer. Need to find out if its user or product errors
Old 05-27-2012, 10:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

I was going to get the competition version since my electric gear controller has a sequencer. Need to find out if its user or product errors
Looking at the directive from PB in post nr 4, It is clear that the Futaba RX case design cannot prevent the SBus plug from being inserted the wrong way. Its an easy mistake to make, no fault from PB. Only remedy would be to have the RX power have a current limit so the internal switch does not fail in this scenario.
Andre

Old 05-28-2012, 02:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have noticed in my cockpit SRS, that if the powerbox display screen during take off shows the frame loss etc, instead of the voltage, then the gears wont operate. However, if the display screen is on the original voltage page, then all works as per plan. You may want to see what the screen display was during your flight when the gears failed. In my case, the gears did not go up at all. So maybe your problem is something else.

ORIGINAL: Craig B.

Hi Guys,

Not happy today.....my second powerbox cockpit failed today. The gear door sequencer failed yet again on a second model and did not deploy the gear when I flicked the gear switch. This ended in a poor belly landing which damaged the fuselage on my SM F4.....not happy. Air system was pressurised but display and door sequencer on the cockpit was frozen. Could not even access the receiver data screen to examine for fades etc. Only power cycling the thing made a difference and then it resumed normal function....until next time.

I have owned two of these units in two deparate models ( a SM F18F and the F4) and both have had failures with the gear door sequencer....that's a 100% failure rate. The last one took only 3.5 flights to fail, the first less than five flights and the regulator malfunctions triggered that failure. No regulator malfunction on this one today, just loss of sequencer function.

There has to be a software problem with these units. I will contact my local supplier and see what happens....not happy!

Craig.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:17 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Anurag,

Are you actively switching to the frame loss screen? Upon powering up you should get the normal consumption 'home' screen. Only the pressing of the 2 buttons should take you into the frames info screen so for you to get that before you take off is a little odd?

Mark
Old 05-28-2012, 03:31 AM

Mark,<div>upon start up I get the normal consumption screen, then as anal as I am, I switch to the frame loss screen to see whats going on.  Once I forgot to revert back to the consumption screen and the gears did not work.  Mark Hinton was on the stick as it was the cougar and when the gears didn't go up he inquired if I had switched to the frame loss screen.  He said that it has been noticed that when this screen is active, the gears don't work.  I spoke to RIchard about this and he confirmed that this is correct.</div>
Old 05-28-2012, 04:14 AM

If I think back to the first flight of my F4, the gear did not go up but we put that down to an air system failure. In hindsight, that was probably not the case, but it was definitely not on the receiver data screen at the time as I have not ever switched to that prior to flying with a cockpit. On the fourth flight, the gear went up but did not come down, and when I brought the jet back to the pits, the consumption screen was frozen and I could not switch to the data logging screen....the software had locked up and the sequencer would not work, no matter how many times I flicked the switch.

I know three of us over here that have used the cockpit and each of us has had a failure...not exactly a ringing endorsement. It is obvious to me that there are several software issues with these units. It should not be possible to disable the gear sequencer by switching screens...how absurd! The drop out of one battery or failing to switch one battery on should not be able to disable the sequencer....that's not redundancy, that's just doubling your chance of failure. Don't get me wrong, I am a real powerbox fan and have one of their units in every jet I own ranging from the evolutions to the royal. I have used at least 10 of their units in different models with total success to date. The concept of the cockpit is outstanding. The end result in my experience has far from lived up to expectations.

Let's hope they sort the problems and fast.

Craig.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:49 AM

Let's hope they sort the problems and fast.
So you will seat and wait hoping that one day they will sort out this problems.

Craig im sorry but let me get this straight.

You coming to an rc forum asking for help, for the SECOND unit that faild on you?!

For your information PowerBox Systems do not monitor every rc forum out there in internet, meaning that you might asking help from the wrong kind of people.
RCU is not a PowerBox support forum ither.
The only place that you will get support for PowerBox products is here: http://powerbox-systems.com/e/kontakt/kontakt/start.php

My advice to you and to your other three friends, is to get in touch by email at [email protected] or by phone with the guys at Germany direct.
That will work better and faster than hoping because PowerBox fully support there products!

BEAR IN MIND that continuing using your setup (even if its a power box fault or user error) you are putting your model safety and others into risk.

Let us know how this worked out for you.

Cheers

Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The "sequencer not working" when not on the default screen is a bad software design, period!
I have sent them an email about this, hope there will be an update for this very soon, my Cockpit SRS is soon to go into my Tomahawk Hawk
Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 AM

George,

What's with the attitude?

I did not ask this forum or you for help. Re-read my post before you start patronising me by stating the obvious. I was simply reporting my experiences for others to be aware of in the hope that they might avoid a similar fate. No need to get so defensive of a product just because you have a financial interest in selling the stuff. You don't produce it do you? I am very confident that my issues are not user generated and I have lost confidence in this particular unit. Go back and read how many other powerbox units I have installed in my jets at the moment....11 units in total in as many different jets. I am a big fan of their other products, just not this one yet as I dont believe they have it sorted, unfortunately.... And I sincerely hope they do get it sorted as it would be a fantastic product if it worked as it is supposed to.

To answer your strange question, no I will not just sit back and wait for them to fix it. I will return the unit to my local supplier, INTAIRCO, who always looks after me well, and consider replacing the unit with a long established powerbox model or put a robbe sbus unit in it. I would have thought that would be the obvious thing to do. Over here, we dont need to be reminded to do what is safe or in our own best interests......thanks anyway though.

Craig.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 AM

George,

.. I was simply reporting my experiences for others to be aware of in the hope that they might avoid a similar fate.
Hi there Graig,
sorry if it came across as an defensive or offensive attitude.I didn't meant it this way and always my intentions are to help out.
Probably my poor english made me untested that you where looking for the answer in this forums, not that you where just reporting your experience.

On the other hand i now have ten customers with Cocpit SRS units with no similar fate to yours.What would you like me to get them aware for?

Thats why IMHO this "headsup" experience is incomplete.You are missing manufactors opinion.
Take it all the way to the manufacture ,get there comments ,help and advices and have a full complete report.

It was back in 2004 when i was shipping back and forth my ECU to jet cat cause my smoke didn't work .
Finally i realized i was missing something.Engine must run for the ECU to allow smoke use.Goodjob i didn't warn everybody for ECU fails

Goodluck mate
Old 05-29-2012, 01:20 PM

George

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; background-color: white; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">The people at Powerbox refuse to accept that there could be a problem, read my original post's in this thread - you know, the one's you bagged.... I pointed out then that there was a glitch in the system and all Powerbox would say is that I had plugged my lead in incorrectly. They then proceeded to contradict themselves in emails which just proved that they had no reasoning as to the failure.</span><span style="font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; ">

<span style="background:white">The simple question was "How can the receiver regulator work when selected as spectrum but not work when selected as Futaba/Multiplex/Jeti" ?????</span>

<span style="background:white">I understand that if they admit a fault then many users worldwide will dump the product, however a decent manufacturer would at least ask for the unit back on the quiet just to try and establish if there was an issue with them.<span class="apple-converted-space"></span></span>

This is the same product that did not operate the sequencer if only one battery was switched on but allowed all other functions; I struggle to understand the benefit of writing software on purpose to do this.

<span style="background:white">I remember another manufacturer who when things went wrong simply blamed everybody who used their product of incompetence, their name was XPS.</span>

<span style="background:white">Like Craig, I too used many Powerbox products with success but found strange happenings with the Cockpit unit, and when I did ask Powerbox direct I was treated like an idiot, much like the closed mind attitude you display in this forum.</span>

<span style="background:white">All Powerbox are doing with this type of attitude is encouraging people to look at the other products on the market, and having recently used the Futaba/Robbe SBus system in my Cougar and having found it to be far nicer than the Powerbox system I will now replace the cockpit units in my Tucano and F4.<o></o></span></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; background-color: white; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">I accept that you don&rsquo;t have direct issues or have not had any reported to you by your customers but to simply express that it is not possible and that we are endangering people or property by using the product is naive, what is the use of just plugging another unit in if it still has the same software, at least XPS would come out and say that they were offering software updates........</span></p>
Old 05-29-2012, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm worried to use mine now[&o]

I bought it specifically, due to my confidence in Powerbox products, to use in a model where I really can't afford for the sequencer not to work. Now I am having doubts. I would be grateful to hear of any feedback that you receive from Powerbox.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:35 PM

I am very happy with my experience with powerbox.  Emmerich and Richard are very responsive and I think they sell super products.  No product can ever be really glitch free, but they have offered full support whenever I have requested for any.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 PM

ORIGINAL: siclick33

I'm worried to use mine now[&o]

I bought it specifically, due to my confidence in Powerbox products, to use in a model where I really can't afford for the sequencer not to work. Now I am having doubts. I would be grateful to hear of any feedback that you receive from Powerbox.

Just test it mate!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:15 PM

Just test it mate!
That's really helpful[:@] How about you buy it from me for full retail price instead and I'll use something else

If the faults are intermittent then testing it might not prove much; it only has to go wrong once in the air to wreck my model.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:29 AM

Sicliclk, just test it, the first one I had I put into F14 , i have them in two cougars , one in An A10 also A Comp arf P47 and not a single problem,
yes I have seen one pluged in wrong and PUFF the magic dragon or Tich as it goes when its pluged in wrong , came in to play, but really they are the best on the market, In india yes, Ragz did look at the frame counter and did,nt reset it to normal screen ,so the sequencer didnt work I knew about this and said to Ragz during the flight.
Also if a battery fails to turn on because of switch or bad battery conection or some other problem , sequencer will not work, it is a warning to look at things. Powerbox-systems leave nothing untested they are very good at what they do, I have total trust in the systems they develop, If you use a large number of channels and want redundancy this is the best.... opps here we go.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 AM

This is a copy of the email I received when I asked the factory the same question.

"Hello,

can you have a look to the software version of your Cockpit? Newer Versions show the Version when you turn on the PowerBox on the right side of the Logo.

Older Version:

Turn on the PowerBox. Disconnect the batteries. Hold Button I&II and connect one battery. If you have a version 03 or higher you will have no problem with the sequencer. This issue is solved since May 2011- some days after bringing the PowerBox Cockpit to the market. The guy in the forum seems to have very old versions- one of the first. IĀ“m wondering because we informed our customersā€¦

The thing with the Power off the receiver was a customers fault. He connected his Futaba receivers wrong. Newer Powerboxes have fuses inside, so also mistakes done by customer will not short the Powerbox out."

Old 05-30-2012, 01:44 AM

ORIGINAL: mick15

The thing with the Power off the receiver was a customers fault. He connected his Futaba receivers wrong. Newer Powerboxes have fuses inside, so also mistakes done by customer will not short the Powerbox out."

What a crock of *****
<br type="_moz" />
Old 05-30-2012, 02:47 AM

Bart , send it back you will get a very good service from Powerbox-systems, they look after customers very well the service, I have found is excellent, . it is worth it for piece of mind. With the Futaba and powerbox SRS it is the finest team you can have in your plane. Honest mate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.