Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
AMT Olympus start problem when using an ASU >

AMT Olympus start problem when using an ASU

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

AMT Olympus start problem when using an ASU

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 12:40 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default AMT Olympus start problem when using an ASU

Had an issue with starting a new to me air start Olympus this weekend. I have emailed Bennie as well but he has never heard of this particular problem so I thought I would see if anyone here has encountered this before. Here is the email I sent.

I have it set up to start with an AMT ASU. I turned on the radio, then ECU, went through the calibration sequence, 3 position switch, then throttle until I heard all 3 beeps. Plugged in the ASU and edt. It told me start clearance but the ECU was beeping randomly. All three beeps on the switch and throttle still worked but I was getting random beeps. I tried putting the switch into the run position and the asu would supply air and spin the turbine. Twice it spun it up, shut off air and gave it a puff of propane but not enough to keep it going. Then the next time it just kept giving it air and spinning the turbine.

With the asu unplugged there is no random beeping.

I tried changing the glow plug but that didn't change anything.

I am running a 4s lipo on the ECU.

I know the asu is ok as it started my pegasus in my raptor and F5 no problem.

Any guesses? Could the asu plug in the airplane be at fault? I don't really know what could go wrong with that but it's all I can think of.

thanks in advance
Jeremy
Old 09-26-2018, 12:40 PM

Oh, ECU software is 3.31 if that helps.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Jeremy,

Not sure what is with the random beeps, all I can suggest is to use a different ECU. However - yes I am serious - try a new gas supply as well.

Very unlike an AMT - definitely a unique issue.

JanR
Old 09-26-2018, 01:20 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Sorry amigo but I’ve never used an ASU all these years. Can you bypass the ASU? 3 beeps isn’t that an EGT too high error code? The ASU plug could be dirty or the servo connections could be crimped etc

Last edited by yeahbaby; 09-26-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:21 PM

Hi Jan,
I am going to try doing a start without using the asu as if I unplug the asu the random beeps go away. I haven't got another Olympics ecu to try so first I will eliminate the umbilical plug in the jet as an issue. If that doesn't work then I guess I will send the ECU to Bennie. Shipping from canada is going to cost a fortune.....
Old 09-26-2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by yeahbaby
Sorry amigo but I’ve never used an ASU all these years. Can you bypass the ASU? 3 beeps isn’t that an EGT too high error code?
no the 3 beeps I was referencing was the high middle and low beeps when you calibrate the ECU with the 3 position switch and the throttle. I will try a start the old fashioned way with a glow starter and air and gas.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:28 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Kind of a long shot...but are the low voltage cables separated adequately from the high voltage cables? Egt/ rpm on one side and starter motor / glow cables on the other

Last edited by yeahbaby; 09-26-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:15 AM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Last week I found a cable (3-wire with female JR on both ends) that looked perfect, the crimps were perfect, fit well and there was no deformity in the wiring insulation. Yet, the signal wire was open when measured with an ohm meter. Tried a new cable and everything worked correctly.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:38 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jeremy,
I had the random beep issue in the past. After I set the aux channel on a ECU start up, 3 beeps, I used the slider switch on on , normal off, fast shut down. When slider was in the run position, all it would take was a slight bump and would ECU would go to shutdown. Also, sometimes it would not start because I didn’t recognize the Radom beep. I increased travel on the aux channel and the problem went away. I’m doing it now on my Gen 1 Olympus.
Ron
Old 09-27-2018, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by G4guy
Hi Jeremy,
I had the random beep issue in the past. After I set the aux channel on a ECU start up, 3 beeps, I used the slider switch on on , normal off, fast shut down. When slider was in the run position, all it would take was a slight bump and would ECU would go to shutdown. Also, sometimes it would not start because I didn’t recognize the Radom beep. I increased travel on the aux channel and the problem went away. I’m doing it now on my Gen 1 Olympus.
Ron

hi Ron,
I am going to try a start without the ASU. When I do the calibration of the ECU the 3 position switch and throttle movement are all fine. No random beeping. As soon as the umbilical is plugged in it starts, doesn't matter what position the switch is in. I dont feel it's the ASU itself since it works on my pegasus engines no problem. Wondering if it's a problem with the plug in the jet.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:50 PM

If that doesn't work I'll try increasing the throw on that channel.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Jeremy,

Never used an AMT, but have a bit of experience in other ecus, I think that the problem you have is the thermocouple that has lost its internal isolation and makes ground to engine case, when you connet the engine case to ground, temperature reading go crazy

Gaspar