Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Ultra bandit or ultra lighting >

Ultra bandit or ultra lighting

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ultra bandit or ultra lighting

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra bandit or ultra lighting

Wich one is better ULTRA BANDIT OR ULTRA LIGHTING?
Old 11-06-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Depends on your skills. With only 3 posts on RCU, You may not be ready for either one of them. The ultra-lightning has a very low positioned stab. It does not leave much room for error. The BVM Ultra Bandit EVO is much more complete and has a little bit higher stab. But, … before all that, how much experience do you have with Sport Jets? Neither one of these are good picks for a rookie.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:55 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Nice 3rd post!

Lets assume you've been at RC jets for a while, then you've probably seen them both fly.

What do you want to do with them?

Large sport jet aerobatics? These are not considered large anymore.

No info from where you're at, so quick support for each is an unknown.

BUT, if I was choosing from these two, right now, I'd likely go with the UB Evo because so much of the building is already done for you, not to mention that the Evo is ~$4500 less than the non Evo UB.

CompARF is known to make a tank of a sport jet too, so there's that.

In interests of full disclosure, I have an Ultra Bandit, but have had CompARF jets as well.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:57 AM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI, I think pricing on the UB classic might have been altered to be in line with the Evo, but I'm not 100% on that yet. The UB Evo at 8+ pounds lighter than my classic Ultra is seriously an impressive option. The updates to the design as a whole are good enough that I've seriously considered getting an Evo to go alongside my classic. The fuse is 1-piece instead of splitting down the middle, and the top hatch is 2 pieces now.. It's just nicer overall IMO. The trailing link gear REALLY helps reduce shock loads transmitted to the airframe from less than perfect runways. Where my UB classic was bouncing the nose from running over the expansion joints on the runway while taxiing out at BitW, the Evo looked like it was taxiing on a putting green..

Either way though, the previous posts are correct.. Both of these airplanes require experienced pilots.. They are not difficult to fly per se, but they are unforgiving of bad flying.

Obviously representing BVM, I'd prefer you fly the UB Evo
Old 11-07-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Either can be sublime, good or bad..It depends on your setup, or the guy who is building and flying it for you.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:07 PM

Thank you for the tips, it really help.

i leave in Dominican Republic and like you say im rookie, i fly a lot my Boomerang XL but i want something more precise regarding the sport flight and big for better looking and more stable flight.

Regards.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:01 PM

The Ultra Bandit classic is my favorite jet by far. It is fast, stable, and fully aerobatic. It really looks great in the air - especially with smoke.

The Ultra Bandit may weigh a bit more owing to its' being build so solidly, but it does not feel heavy in flight. Landings are even better if crow is used.

Mike Danchak
Old 11-07-2018, 03:01 PM

You might want to look at the T-One. I enjoy flying it vastly more than I do my Ultra Flash and the T-Ones are a lot cheaper than the planes you are asking about. Also, the jump from a Boomerang XL to a Ultra anything is huge and with it comes a huge learning curve and a lot of extra expense. Biggest mistake I made as a jet guy was a jump from a Boomerang to a Ultra Flash. I essentially lost a year of confidence and a lot of cash figuring out how to deal with landing the go-fast jets. After a couple dozen flights on the T-One, then I had my confidence back and was capable of figuring out the UF landings. The T-One is now my go to jet even though I have the UF figured out, flying and landing well.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:41 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, so assuming you are ready for this level of jet here Is my input,,, FIRST OFF a T1 has ZERO place in this discussion, it is NO--where close to the level of these 2 jets on any comparison. The T in T1 should stand for trainer, because that's what it is, It is a good looking great flying easy landing jet. But Comparing it with an ultra lightning or ultra bandit is like comparing a Chevy Malibu with a Chevy corvette... And Yes, I know what I am talking about, I had hundreds of flights on my Ultra Flash, bought a T1, and Now back to a Lightning, and it is the best flying Jet I have ever owned. Now on to the real question, comparing the lightning to the bandit,, The lightning is built tough and can handle a lot of speed and aerobatics as well, However the UB is also capable of the exact same thing, They are both Extremely tough airplanes, and can be extremely fast. They are also Extremely stable, and fly straight as an arrow. I love my lightning and it lands as easy as can be, the Ultra Bandit appears to land the same. I think the Ultra bandit is a sleeker airplane, and can be faster than the lightning, the reason I say that is because I have a merlin 200 in my lightning, and my buddy Derrick has a 180 in his UB, we have been known to fly pattern together, and then get into the power, and I know that his 180 UB is slightly faster than my lightning. Also I will say the one thing I don't like about the Lightning is the rear stabs are low on the fuse, and as stated above it you don't watch yourself you can get a tail strike taking off and landing. I have not had this issue, however, If I had a dollar for every time I kicked the stab pushing the jet Id be rich.. The only problems I have had with my lightning are every now and then I get a gear door that will hang open, the key is to close them as soon as I leave the ground,, and this September I was running my Lightning pretty hard, and Bent the aluminum wing tube, getting a replacement was very easy through Andy Kane.
Now on the to price, THE Ultra Bandit is substantially more expensive than the lightning, is it worth the extra, that depends on who you ask, and I have a Lightning so that shows where I stand, The BV guys will say sure, I would too after dumping that kind of cash. I personally say the planes are very close in comparison, except in price. I have heard of the leading edge of some lightning's cracking and letting air in at high speeds, and that will be destruction for sure. I just run a piece of vinyl on my leading edges to be safe. I have never heard any issues like that with the UB. This is my Honest opinion,, and being Honest, IF MONEY WAS NOT AN ISSUE,,, I would buy the ultra bandit.

Last edited by raron455; 11-07-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:07 PM

Received 746 Likes on 539 Posts

New Ultra Flash Evo is different again, it’s around 4lb lighter than the std one and no ducting, that helps people who might struggle with the energy management.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:59 AM

The original post for this thread was #4 for the OP. So ,... that flagged to me the question: Is the OP ready for an Ultra anything? Maybe you missed that fact? Just maybe the OP needd to hear about other options. IMHO - Whether or not anyone is ready for an Ultra remains a question to be answered before a CD recommends any Ultra. Anyway, glad you qualified your post. If he is planning to initially learn jets, he probably needs to be considering something other than an Ultra. If he is very experienced, then maybe his question is spot on for his interest and your input would also be helpful.

I have found CDs can't make assumptions. We need to know the involved base of knowledge we are dealing with, especially when making potential recommendations to new flyers. So far, the experience level for this OP remains to be answered. That is what I was fishing for. For CD/Leaders, a little patience in conversation can go a long way.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:57 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Maybe a troll and we are all being trolled?!

Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy-downsized.gif
Views:	33
Size:	528.7 KB
ID:	2262578
Old 11-08-2018, 10:26 AM

That was exactly what I was thinking again today as I was running the tractor over the leaves. However, if the OP is really a newbie, one hates to call them a troll or ignore their post. So I went along to surface more info and the context behind of the original question. In the process, we are also surfacing a lot of good info about the OP's topic. One just has to ignore some of the more personal type comments, which is sometimes SOP for a forum. Lots of smart folks with unique personalities in this hobby. Patience with each other's different perspectives goes a long way. Apparent quick judgements go nowhere. To bad our politicians can't figure that out.