Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Powerbox Core radio and set up thread. >

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 07:23 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Looking forward to trying the Vario but probably on an HLG. So it better be small and light.

I was playing with the servo speed feature in the Functions menu. Initially I thought I could use it to slow the servo transition from one flight mode to another, so your servos don't jump to their new positions when you flip the flight mode switch to change rates. It is not for that though, it just slows the servos down all the time. Good for flaps, etc. but no use for a primary flight control. But it got me thinking it would be a nice feature.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:24 AM
My Feedback: (99)

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

You can slow down servos from one flight mode to the next, it's in the flight mode menu.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:26 AM

Now that I think of it I have a buddy, Jeti flyer, who put a Vario in his "warm liner" just last week, but he flies it like an airplane doing acrobatics and running the motor a lot, the Vario just sings away, making all sorts of odd noises, pretty funny!
Old 05-13-2020, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
You can slow down servos from one flight mode to the next, it's in the flight mode menu.
I'll have another look then.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:30 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 381 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by husafreak
Looking forward to trying the Vario but probably on an HLG. So it better be small and light.

I was playing with the servo speed feature in the Functions menu. Initially I thought I could use it to slow the servo transition from one flight mode to another, so your servos don't jump to their new positions when you flip the flight mode switch to change rates. It is not for that though, it just slows the servos down all the time. Good for flaps, etc. but no use for a primary flight control. But it got me thinking it would be a nice feature.
Flight modes
Fade-In function gives you the ability to transition between flight modes at a set speed
The following users liked this post:
husafreak (05-15-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 11:09 AM

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Exactly, thats why its there !

So far as the vario is concerned, its very small and VERY light.

I guess its for soaring sailplanes not HLG. The vario on my Weatronics does a great job, even the birds, red kites on the farm here, come to join my glider, a hotliner but which soars quite well, when its circling in lift which the Vario is so good at finding, when its around !

That said, I would encourage you guys to explore your Core, not just to try and programme a model, but get a receiver and a few servos on the bench and investigate its many capabilities, you may well discover many attributes not covered on the manuals, it really is a most capable device with yet more to come.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 05-13-2020 at 11:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
husafreak (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 12:41 PM

Good advice. But maybe a little too abstract for some? I have learned a lot about my CORE setting up a Mephisto. Hard to know where to look sometimes. I did find the servo speed adjustment in Flight Modes just this morning. Obviously I had seen that before, but when I went to implement it I found the servo speed function in the Functions menu and got hung up there, so forum to the rescue. I had used that function for my flaps though.

I took my hotliner (a Typhoon) and HLG out to the flying field yesterday, no Vario yet, but it did make obvious why the hotliner could use that Vario feature more than the HLG (DLG actually). With my DLG thermal activity is really obvious, it is slow and doesn't weigh anything, chuck it, head towards the circling birds, climb until hard to see. Always a thrill. My hotliner is moulded and heavy, it covers a lot of ground fast, I can fly it very high, and so can fly right through a thermal before my eyes detect it. Hmmm, maybe I could sort out a few CC for one in the fuse somewhere.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:44 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello all!

Sorry to bother you with this kind of triviality but I am still a little hesitant to put up all that money to change to the Core system. I guess I need a little mental help to take the step. Now that it´s been around for a year or so, do you who use it still think it holds up to your expectations?

How integrated is the Core with the Mercury? Is it possible to do all the Mercury and gyro settings in the Core instead of by the little screen and switch of the Mercury?

Jannica

Sweden
Old 06-01-2020, 12:43 AM

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Hi Jannjca, ,

I dont think you can programme the Mercury via the Core, if you can I have not yet found a way to do it and I have just programmed my new Sea Fury with a Mercury and two 26 channel receivers. Set up on the Mercury is quite straightforward, and the little screen is good, no problems there.

The more I investigate the Core the more I like it, its a very worthy successor to the Weatronics system,, on which Core is based, which really is a brilliant system which I am still using in about ten jet models. Never understood why more guys did not use it, it is such a capable system with fantastic Rf.

If you go Core, you will not be disappointed, it just keeps getting better as more updates and accessories are released and customer service is outstanding, just take a look at the expert support column.

That said, if Core had not been introduced I would have gone Jeti.

Good luck,

Old 06-01-2020, 12:53 AM

Thank´s a lot David.

Jannica
Old 06-01-2020, 01:08 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Jannica,
You can't update mercury from Core at the moment but it's in the plan. The PowerBox vision for Core is that pretty much everything will be driven through the TX. I moved from Jeti to Core for this reason. We can already update our receivers via the Core - no more pulling the rx out from where it's buried, finding the bind plug etc. Just select the rx you want to update and press 'update' - dead easy - and this is the plan for Core - make everything easy but still retaining and extending the capability. You really won't be disappointed if you go Core.
Best
Bob
Old 06-01-2020, 01:50 AM

Tank´s Bob!
That was good information!

Jannica
Old 06-01-2020, 04:52 AM

..... no problem - anything you want to know about Core or PowerBox - this is where you go - http://forum.powerbox-systems.com/forum/
It's quite the best manufacturers forum I've encountered - it's also the friendliest! Best part is that Richard German - the owner and designer - is regularly on the forum answering questions. So you can actually communicate directly with the boss and I always get a response within a couple of hours and quite often within a few minutes!
Go have a look around and good luck with your decision making.
Best
Bob
Old 06-01-2020, 06:46 PM

Yes, I don't think Richard sleeps, I think every question I asked so far there was answered by the next day due to the time difference. This is not a radio where you are "on your own" after you buy it. But some of the older PB products still need their manuals updated to include how they can best be used with the new transmitter.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:05 AM

..husafreak
Yes you're right about current relationships between Core and the PB boxes - there's certainly room for some confusion at the moment - I had an example of it myself a couple of days ago. So PB and Core is not without its issues but the way I look at is Core is a work in progress, I very much like the direction of travel and if I get confused the support is simply great. The rules are 'there are no stupid questions' - I know - I've tested them to destruction!
best
Bob
Old 06-19-2020, 07:59 AM

The Pioneer should be released soon and that would be perfect for a couple of aircraft I want to convert that are already running straight 2s LiPo HV servos. Plus it looks like the first product designed ground up to be used with the CORE. I am thinking about what Rx would be best for this. To be truly redundant you would need two of something, so a pair of 5 channel or 7 channel PB Rx would give two redundant Rx with one Rx circuit each and allow use of more than the 14 servo slots on the Pioneer. A pair of 9's would give four Rx circuits with redundancy but may be a bit overkill in the servo slots department. A pair of 26's would give 4x Rx but you would be limited to the 14 servo slots.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:55 AM

Received 746 Likes on 539 Posts

If you need more than 14 channels use a Powerbox unit. For Jets I still prefer regulated HV, rather than start at 8.39v and plummet from there. It will screw up gyro figures.
Powering a multi channel Rx from a single lead is not what this was designed for, careful selection of function/channels would be required.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:30 PM

Some of that was hypothetical. But I see your point. It was probably not designed to have servos (or other functions) connected to the satellite Rx. But I imagine it could be done.
As far as screwing up gyro figures, well, that does not sound good at all. It is designed to be used with an iGyro satellite at whatever voltage is fed to it.

Last edited by husafreak; 06-19-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:59 AM

Yes, but the servo speed will vary as the batteries deplete, it won’t cause a problem other than slight reduction in performance/consistency

Dave
Old 06-20-2020, 12:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any idea when the voice module will be released? I need a talking count down timer.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:02 PM

To drive you mad ? Add pressure to the need to land? 😃
When the timer goes off I gear pass and land, worked perfectly for 20 years of turbine flying.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:24 PM

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts

Corporate policy requires a voice read out!
Old 06-20-2020, 07:26 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RC_MAN
Any idea when the voice module will be released? I need a talking count down timer.
Its out and working now FINALLY!!
Old 06-20-2020, 11:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by clavin
Its out and working now FINALLY!!
In which update is that?

JanR
Old 06-21-2020, 03:49 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
In which update is that?

JanR
The last update... On the PowerBox Terminal app... i think its either 1.8 or 1.9 don't remember

Last edited by clavin; 06-21-2020 at 04:11 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.