Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
JR 12x Throttle Friction >

JR 12x Throttle Friction

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR 12x Throttle Friction

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 12:52 PM
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 12x Throttle Friction

I have two JR 12x transmitters that I still use as my main transmitters. They have been awesome with little or no problems or issues. My main complaint (just about my only one) is that I like a good bit of friction on my throttle stick. I don't want to just barely touch it and have it move a substantial amount. Both on my 12x TX are very lacking in throttle friction. I have cranked the throttle frction screw all the way and they just don't cut it the friction department. I called JR or Horizon about this a year or so ago and they had no ideas to help me if cranking the friction screw down di ot have the desired result.

I got the impression that this is a common problem and the modelers who like a lot of friction are just out of luck.

I am wondering if others feel the way I do about wanting/needing more friction. And more importantly does any one have a cure, a fix, a suggestion other than to buy a different radio ?

Last edited by turnnburn; 03-03-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added text
Old 03-03-2019, 12:54 PM

As a matter of fact I also have two old JR 10x tx and they have the same problem, most likely the same sticks.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:41 PM

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I may be wrong...but if I remember correctly, the 12X came with "heli" type smooth throttle spring and you had to open the back & turn the "indent" towards the ratchet. This I know I did on mine when I had a 12X to feel some kind of resistance.
Wayne
Old 03-04-2019, 10:57 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by turnnburn
I have two JR 12x transmitters that I still use as my main transmitters. They have been awesome with little or no problems or issues. My main complaint (just about my only one) is that I like a good bit of friction on my throttle stick. I don't want to just barely touch it and have it move a substantial amount. Both on my 12x TX are very lacking in throttle friction. I have cranked the throttle frction screw all the way and they just don't cut it the friction department. I called JR or Horizon about this a year or so ago and they had no ideas to help me if cranking the friction screw down di ot have the desired result.

I got the impression that this is a common problem and the modelers who like a lot of friction are just out of luck.

I am wondering if others feel the way I do about wanting/needing more friction. And more importantly does any one have a cure, a fix, a suggestion other than to buy a different radio ?
Get a hold of Tony at Radio South and see if he can help you;

https://radiosouthrc.com/
Old 03-04-2019, 02:31 PM

I called Radio South and spoke with Tony. He professed to not know the exact details of how this tx is setup for throttle friction. He said to check my manual and see what it says. he also said that if it has two holes with access to two different screws then one adjusts non ratcheted friction and the other adjusts ratcheted friction. I see two holes in my tx case but only one screw visible. I have it cranked down (clockwise) all the way and there is just not enough friction. My throttle is smooth (no ratchet) . I am trying to exhaust all other options before taking the back off of the tx since I surely don't want to get in there and short something out or cause some other issue in an attempt to get more friction which might not even be possible.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:46 PM
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It is not a matter of adjustment. The tx came with either a smooth ratchet or a ratcheted one. I still fly the 12x and have 3 of them.
One of them had to be sent back to Horizon when I purchased it to have the part swapped, and they returned the smooth part back to me, which I still have.
Not sure if that part is still available or not.
Hope this helps.
Mike O.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:24 PM

I dont really care if i ratcheted or smooth. I just want enough friction or resistance so I can slam the rudder if I want to or need to and I wont be adding or reducing throttle when I don't want to or need to.

Mike, Im not entirely sure what you are saying. What is a smooth ratchet ? Are you saying the only way to get more friction or more resistance to movement is to have ratchets ? Are you saying there is no friction adjustment when using the non ratcheted part ?

I have not pulled the tx back off yet but I guess it is time to do so so I can see how it works. I was told that or at least I thought I was told that I could simply turn the brass part over to get ratchets but you seem to indicate otherwise ?
Old 03-05-2019, 10:52 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Possibly you are tightening the wrong screw. The illustration in the 12X manual showing the throttle tension screw under the rubber grip is erroneous. Depending on the transmitter mode, it is beneath one of the two plugs. Open the large round end and leave the plug attached to the case by the small end. The location of the 12X throttle tension screw was addressed many years ago on one of the forums.

Allan

From JR 10X (heli) manual showing a mode 2 transmitter. It also applies to the aircraft transmitter.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:27 PM

Yes indeed I was adjusting the rudder tension screw thinking is was the throttle screw. But, it didn't matter much, I tightened down the correct screw and the friction was still sub par in my mind. but I found a solution. I have two old JR 10x transmitters, both of them have ratcheted throttle while both of my 12x had smooth no ratchet throttle. I seldom use my old 10x 's so I took the back cover off of both or them and off both of my 12x. I swapped the metal piece that provides ratchet action out of both 10x into both 12x. I tightened them done very tight and it has a decent amount or resistance/ friction. I am satisfied with it. I put both of my old 10x tx with smooth drag and made them as tight as possible, they are better than the 12x's were so I am pretty happy with all of them, I would prefer to have ratchet action on all of them but this will be good enough.