Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
PowerBox: The new iGyro 3xtra ! >

PowerBox: The new iGyro 3xtra !

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

PowerBox: The new iGyro 3xtra !

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. Im a gyro newbie, so pardon me of my questions are noob sounding.
Saw Martin Pickerings video on how to setup the igyro 3xtra. I have a few questions based on the setup which was already done by a friend on my 2.2m jet, however, I couldn't really understand some of his answers when I asked these questions plus he was in a hurry to catch a flight.

I have the gain setup on my futaba 16iz knob.
Centre being gyro off. When I turn knob left, all LEDs light up green. When it's turned right, some LEDs light up green and if I'm not wrong 2 LEDs are red. So, may I know what's the difference in turning the knob left and right?

Secondly, I hv yet to setup my end points on the plane. I would have to go into the igyro 3xtra to reconfigure the igyro to identify these new end points correct? Do i require to do the whole calibration setup from the start?

Lastly, I have yet to maiden my plane.
So, after I get my plane trimmed during the first flight or few flights after. Do I need to get igyro 3xtra to re learn the end points again since the trim has altered the surfaces even though a tiny bit.

I hope you can lend me your expertise and thanks in advance for any form of advice. Cheers.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:43 PM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Just dump that thing and go with an iSat Gyro.....
Old 06-13-2023, 02:59 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 372 Likes on 300 Posts

Left is attitude assist, those are probably the aileron channels turning red which means they are going into a hold mode versus rate mode.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:41 AM

Received 744 Likes on 538 Posts

The Sensor is the same iSat or 3Extra. There is a marked difference between the Blue 3E and 3Xtra…

In rate mode red lights are reversed channels.

Trim the aeroplane with the gyro in the centre (no lights) once everything is as you want it, movements and balance activate the gyro

Old 06-13-2023, 09:28 PM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
The Sensor is the same iSat or 3Extra. There is a marked difference between the Blue 3E and 3Xtra…

In rate mode red lights are reversed channels.

Trim the aeroplane with the gyro in the centre (no lights) once everything is as you want it, movements and balance activate the gyro
The difference is that there is no monkey business with all the lead swapping. You just plug the iSat into the rx and set it up from the tx and it's VERY easy to find a place to mount a USA nickel sized sensor vs. the bigger gyro units.

No brainer in my book......

Last edited by Zeeb; 06-13-2023 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:27 AM

Hi all,
Need some advice.
I have dual rates setup in my jets.
As such, when I calibrate my end points in my igyro 3xtra, do I set this up in the highest rate or does it no matter?
TIA

Vin
Old 09-11-2023, 03:23 AM

It matters. Always teach the end points in high rate.
Old 09-18-2023, 08:05 AM

i am having roll oscillations and have lowered the gains so low that there is not much stabilization on that axis. is this a location/vibration problem??
also the gyro is within 3 inches of the tuned pipes, can the metal from the pipes effect the function of the gyro?

Gregg
Old 09-18-2023, 09:32 AM

Metal pipes? No

Vibration? Yes.
Old Today, 06:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wickkerr82
Hi everyone. Im a gyro newbie, so pardon me of my questions are noob sounding.
Saw Martin Pickerings video on how to setup the igyro 3xtra. I have a few questions based on the setup which was already done by a friend on my 2.2m jet, however, I couldn't really understand some of his answers when I asked these questions plus he was in a hurry to catch a flight.

I have the gain setup on my futaba 16iz knob.
Centre being gyro off. When I turn knob left, all LEDs light up green. When it's turned right, some LEDs light up green and if I'm not wrong 2 LEDs are red. So, may I know what's the difference in turning the knob left and right?

Secondly, I hv yet to setup my end points on the plane. I would have to go into the igyro 3xtra to reconfigure the igyro to identify these new end points correct? Do i require to do the whole calibration setup from the start?

Lastly, I have yet to maiden my plane.
So, after I get my plane trimmed during the first flight or few flights after. Do I need to get igyro 3xtra to re learn the end points again since the trim has altered the surfaces even though a tiny bit.

I hope you can lend me your expertise and thanks in advance for any form of advice. Cheers.

-All green means "normal damping mode" in all axis.
-Two red, the rest green means "Attitude mode"

Regarding end points, push the button and follow the procedure in the manual, using the sticks on your radio.
Old Today, 06:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One problem I have with the iGyro is as follows;

The gain functionality is opposite to the manual, regarding Attitud mode or normal damping mode. I have a Futaba.

But thats okay. I just inverted the output.

The other problem I have is that the deflections on all axis are so small. Only a couple of millimetres. Almost nothing.

I have tried to increase the gains, but it didnt help.

When I come to think of it, maybe this is opposite to the manual as well......

Last edited by kwik; Today at 06:27 AM.
Old Today, 10:12 AM
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

You should call Adam at Power Box. The gain in the transmitter is supposed to be on a 3 position switch. You can change the OFF- Regular Gyro- Attitude Hold to any position of the switch. I prefer +100/0/-100. Futaba is opposite with positive and negative. So you can have it however you want on the switch to operate the gyro. Ex: 0/100/-100 or 100/0/-100 or -100/0/100 etc. The gain switch is just an On-Off switch and must be at 100% or-100%. Do not lower it as you would with Cortex. The gain sensitivity is in the gyro. You have to have High Rates in the transmitter and 100% in the gyro to teach. Then reduce your gain in the gyro after you have confirmed gyro direction. So if you are teaching in low rates in transmitter or gyro gain, you won’t get much movement.
But, call Adam. He’s extremely knowledgeable, helpful and patient.