Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Byrojet VS Ramtec >

Byrojet VS Ramtec

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Byrojet VS Ramtec

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byrojet VS Ramtec

Hello,

I have a byron f16 and am modifying it to a ramtec fan unit with an OS 91. I have already done this with my Byron A-4 and has hell of a lot of power and flies great. The Byron fan unit in the a4 I had before was giving me lots of problems trying to start it. The Byron starter wand uses a socket which everytime i try to start it, the engine nut loosens and falls off and have trouble installing it again. I even tried permanent thread lock. My question is, is there any type of adapter i can install on a byron fan unit that allows me to start it a different way. Also, what are the thrust levels of a byrojet and a ramtec using an os 91 engine?

Thanks,
Joseph
Old 01-02-2004, 11:44 PM
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Byrojet VS Ramtec

Joseph,
I've never had that problem. Sounds like you may not be tightening the nut enough. I put a piece of soft wood into the exhaust port to keep the engine from turning while I tighten the nut. Be careful not to put too much force on it or you could damage the piston or rod. Also use locktight.

TGA sells an adapter that allows you to use a tractor DF (hex) starting wand to start a Byron. It goes on after the nut. If you are interested in trying one I have one NIP that you can have for $12.50 plus shipping. I bought it to use on my Enforcer, but then a friend gave me a Byron starting wand so I am using that instead.

The old Byron literature lists an OS91/Byron fan at 13 1/2 lbs. thrust. I'd guess that the Ramtec
gives about 12 lbs. Keep in mind that this is static thrust on the ground. The Byron (6" fan) will have more static thrust and get off the ground quicker. The Ramtec will take longer to get off, but because it has higher exhaust velosity it will have a higher top speed.
Joe
Old 01-03-2004, 12:22 AM
My Feedback: (32)

i've gotten one of those spinner adapters that cb and tru-turn use.The drill and tap for the hex head bolt the tractors use.also acts as a jam nut.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:56 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and sorry I'm so late. I've been thinking about buying the hex adapter and am certainly interested. Please email me at [email protected] so we can discuss shipping and payment. Your reply is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph
Old 01-06-2004, 04:05 PM

star washers are great!