Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Slats for a Skyhawk >

Slats for a Skyhawk

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Slats for a Skyhawk

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slats for a Skyhawk

Hi guys!

I have searched this forum for a "how-to" on working slats. But all I found was discussion about what thes are and if they are usefull.

Well I have already decided, that I will fit working slats to my 1:6.5 A-4. I found one good reason: it's scale

Now to my question: Has anyone fitted slats to a Scooter-wing? How do you attach them? And how do you get the different movement of the slat? the outer part moves 50% of the inner part. That kept my from sleeping the last two weeks. I need help, I am very tired

Thank you for your help and greetz from the old europe,

David Büsken
Old 01-19-2004, 12:36 PM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Slats for a Skyhawk

Heh.. to be truly scale, you need to have them be air pressure activated. The leading edge slats on the A-4 were not manually actuated at all. The Blue Angels actually bolted them closed to avoid them popping in and out during tight formation work.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:16 PM

Hi Doug!

Thank you for that information. What worries me is the different movement/ hte "hinging" of the slats. I thought about the FC F-86 solution, but I think it won't work with different ways. Or I need a very sloppy rail/mechanic.

any ideas?

David
Old 01-20-2004, 01:45 PM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Since the slat both moves forward and down, I think you'd need to run very tightly captured rails to keep them from moving in the deflected position. I have access to a couple of A-4's here in San Diego and can get close and take pictures next week if you would like.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:29 PM

Hi Doug!

It would be very nice if you can take a few pictures from me. All my books about hte Skyhawk don't show the fine details, like slats, retracts and hinges (flaps).

Thank you for your help.

David
Old 01-20-2004, 08:01 PM
My Feedback: (3)

David,
As my handel suggests I'm probably the biggest A-4 nut around. I have many photo's, books, and models around. Let me know what you need. What kit are you building? FYI the slats on the A-4 actually move the same amount - it's just an optical illusion formed by their shape that makes it look like they move more on the inboard side.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:46 PM

I've created an area on my web site, which has a lot of information on high lift devices, and it includes input from many RCU users. (more are welcome, too) It shows actual patent drawings, as well as suggestions for RC linkages. It's at http://homepage.mac.com/mikejames/rc...ite/index.html
Old 01-21-2004, 02:50 AM
My Feedback: (6)

I think that Larry at JHH does slats on some of his planes including the A-4. You might give him a call.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:38 PM

Hi all!
Thank you for your comments. I had y few bad nights thinking about the slats, but it is to characteristic for the Scooter. I have to do them.

@Mike: I really enjoyed your webside. A lot of fantastic drawings and explanations.

@skyhawknut: I got the fuse (without fin), canopy, intakes and the main-leg covers from a friend in australia. The fuse is about 73 inch long, will be 1:6.5 scale. The fuse is with all panel-lines.

I just found this picture on the web, but I think the slats move asyammetrical:

I am very interested in detailed pictures of flap actuation/hinging, wheel-cover actuation/hinging and vortex-generator-pix. I am still collecting books and pictures of the Skyhawk. I think I have to ad a humo to the fuse. I really like that look and it gives more room for installation.

Best regards,

David
Old 01-21-2004, 03:24 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

hey bro',

good luck with the Scooter. a great flying airplane. make damn sure that those slats work 100%. close enough doesn't cut it and they better be spot on within one degree of one another when they deploy.

don't want to discourage you but the real one would roll off in the direction of the asymentric slat and often times would do it quite violently.

no doubt they will look saweeeeeeeeeeeett if done correctly.

good luck

buck