Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 How to air start a RAM 500? >

How to air start a RAM 500?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How to air start a RAM 500?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 12:07 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to air start a RAM 500?

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, someone posted a mod to air start a RAM 500. I searched for it without success. Anybody doing it or remember how it was done?
Old 03-10-2004, 12:50 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: How to air start a RAM 500?

Bill,

I see no reason why it would not be the same as the 750F.

That was, Ign. ON, Propane ON, listen for ignition of propane then bring in the start air, when the start box diplay reads "RAMPING" the fuel pump will ramp the engine to idle on Kero. Just after hearing the engine ramp on Kero, you can shut off air and propane.

Kerry S.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:47 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless the ECU needs to see the starter motor.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:34 PM

I just tried a start sequence without the motor and the propane did light. Now to set up something to spin the motor. I recall somebody epoxying a tube in the cover (using the holes the starter previously screwed to) to attach the air.

BTW.......it was great seeing you at FJ Kerry.

Bill
Old 03-10-2004, 02:47 PM
My Feedback: (28)

Wouldn't it be easier to use one of those electric hand starters that Wren sells with the MW 54?
Old 03-10-2004, 02:48 PM
My Feedback: (12)

I did many air starts with the 6 or so ram 500's we had at the hobby shop GPA Hobbies while I worked there. Here's how we did it. First we used a 1/8th brass tube set to an angle to spin the compressor at the maximum rpm with our air supply. This angle was chosen by trail and error and then a hole was drilled so that it protruded into the inlet and then the tube was bonded in place with JB Weld. Here's how we got successful starts. Spin the compressor up and then hit the run button on the start box. The propane will light off and if all of the other parameters are correct the engine will begin ramping kero. Once the engine begins the ramping you may have to feed in a little more air to assist the ramping rpms. Once we did this we never worried about getting the 500's we had to start the first time. Of course telling a customer who just spent $2500 on an engine to do this to get reliable starts went over like a lead balloon.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:42 PM

Ron.........I think that is what I have been looking for.......thanks. I have been using my RAM starter in a wand type manner for the past year as the bushing were going in the starter and it rattled less that way. Now the starter has gotton so bad it had to go. Shok....I may eventually go that way, but I have the stuff laying around for the air version.

Bill
Old 03-10-2004, 03:45 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not 100% sure, but I think it was Buck Garza that completely transformed his ram 500 into an airstart motor. I think he switched to a new ecu also. check with him I think he will have your answers.

Patrick
Old 03-11-2004, 07:12 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Likewise Bill,

Sorry, I did not know that you did not have an "air start" nozzel on your 500.

Kerry
Old 03-12-2004, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the help guys. My RAM 500 has a new life. Actually, I have missed the sound of starting an air start engine. This new stuff is just too easy and boring. Though I still have to refine my procedure, I got a 50% start/attempt rate tonight. I thinks it will be 100% once I get the sequence right. Thanks again...........