Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Why do you guys fly 'roos? >

Why do you guys fly 'roos?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Why do you guys fly 'roos?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 02:41 PM
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Why do you guys fly 'roos?

Hi guys,

I have noticed that Kangaroos, Stingrays, Kingcats and similar have becomed very popular jet models.

I have been doing some math, and it looks like for the same total price you could get a similar size scale jet, though maybe not the true scale models that are available.

My time if buying a jet will arrive very soon, so myquestion is:

Would't it be better spending may be a $100-$200 more and build a scale (real jet like) airplane?
Do you have a 'roo because they are more user friendly? How much user friendly?
Are 'roos really a whole lot better flyers than scale jets?
Are they a lot cheaper (they don't seem to be once you add everything up)?

I have seen some jet powered scale jets that fly very nicely, and to my opinion they are more appealing than the generic 'roos out there. I have obvioulsy seen many 'roos flying too, and they are cool as hell, but they are too common.

Why do you fly a 'roo or similar?

Sincerely

David
Old 03-12-2004, 03:01 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why do you guys fly 'roos?

What scale jet comes as a pre-painted ARF for 450.00???

Be hard pressed to find anything scale or close to scale for the same price range as a roo (or the like). It's a cheap ARF jet that's flies good and gets you in the air quickly. Most "Scale" jets of similar size will not support a 18lb + turbine and have extremely high wing loading compared to the delta sport jets.....
Old 03-12-2004, 03:14 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The major reason I would purchase a Roo (I still fly one) or Rookie would be price and ease of assembly. Where are you going to get a jet that 1) costs between $450 and $550 2) that is an ARF 3) that has reasonable good flying characteristics and speed! That is assuming you are willing to fly a "sport" jet. And at that price you really don't need to worry about hanger rash.

Scale jets don't necessarily need to be difficult to fly (all aspects, takeoff, landing, etc.) I have a scale jet that is actually easier to fly than my Roo! Nor do they have to be a kit anymore (look at the wide variety of scale ARF's now available). You are also going to pay 3 times as much for a scale ARF jet.

I think it just depends what your requirements / constraints are (cost, time, quality, appearance, etc.)

Just my opinion .....
Old 03-12-2004, 03:36 PM

Nick,

I guess I would really have to take the 'roo out if this pole. At $450 it really is unbeatable. But look at the Kingcats, Bobcats, and similar (the Kingcat of course being a giant). Compare them with a Eurosport, or even building a Y/A F-16 from scrap, you will still spend a lot less and quality is nor compromised. Even the ARF's by Y/A would end up in the ballpark range ($1700-2000).

I think I will end up building my YA F-16 as turbine. I know it will not be cheaper than a 'roo. But if I'm going to get involved with this aspect of the hobby, I might as well get a good start. However, my goal (more like bottom line) is getting it in the air for around $2500. I will not buy a brand new turbine for my first jet, why? I am not looking to get a lot of performance out of it. I just want to learn the basic installation principles, starting procedures, safety procedures. I dont care (though it will hurt) if I crash it on my first flight. To me the most important aspect will be to actually go ahead and do it. I will worry about reliability and performance later. Besides, I never fly more than 3-4 times a weekend, I get bored easily.
I read here about people flying more than 100 times the same airplane. I don't know that I could do that. I guess I'll be a cheater when I ger married. Anyone a Psychiatrist out there?

I guess I am answering my own question. It is all a matter of preference.

Thank you guys.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:24 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

David,

I originally got my 'Roo as an entry-level jet and at the time, it was one of the best out there for that purpose (if I did it now, I would have gotten a Eurosport). I'm really a scale nut, but my Panther has taken way more time than I thought to finish, so I'm still flying the 'Roo. Its sort of become my "beater jet" if you will, something I can fly without much pressure not to ding it, so I'm planning on keeping it for that purpose even when the Pahter is finished. I'm adding canards to it now so it will be more "Eurofighter'ish" in its handling and hopefully more fun to fly. I don't think I would enjoy the situation where all of my jets were scale jobs that impossed a lot of pressure on me to fly because of the the time/money investment. The Panther will probably be easier to fly than even the 'roo, but with all of the time and money I have it it, it won't be as relaxing, or something that I'll do often at my home field, for that matter.

If you have previous jet experience, then the F-16 may be a good way to go for your first turbine, but if you don't, I'd highly recommend you go with something like a 'Roo or Eurosport first. If the F-16 is your first jet, you'll spend all of your time fixing landing gear and will most likely get very little flying time in on a given weekend...

Bob
Old 03-12-2004, 05:09 PM

I guess when you start crashing the scale jets the quickest way to get back in the air is buying the cheaper jet. Like the roo or the mb339. This will give you some time to rebuild or buy the scale jet. I'm sure most of the guys who fly the roo have at less one scale jet in the garage
Old 03-12-2004, 05:33 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

FalconWings,

guys correct me if i am wrong, but getting in the air for 2500????? not even close, i have a roo, with a used p80, robart retracts and bvm wheels and brakes, ( thanks , planes plus). Roo from composite delivered, $533.00 wheels and brakes and retrats, somewhere around $800.00 used turbine $2000.00, servos and match boxes, $850.00. maybe a little over kill on servos, fuel tank $150. yadda yadda yadda, and more that i have listed, but i am not complaining, i am getting ready for my second turbine, " the facet"

mark
Old 03-12-2004, 06:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

David,

You could get a used Roo RTF for 2800-3000 without receiver. You could also get into an AV8R with new stuff for around 2700 if you have a reasonable transmitter. I'm glad you mentioned affairs. A lot of guys are having an affair with their Roo or AV8R. They bring their scale or high end brand name stuff out for the meets, but are really having weekly fun on the side with their Roo or AV8R. BTW, I am a psychologist and take PAYPAL.........how may I help you?
Old 03-12-2004, 06:20 PM
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

Hi guys,

I have noticed that Kangaroos, Stingrays, Kingcats and similar have becomed very popular jet models....

Why do you fly a 'roo or similar?

Sincerely

David

proven design, quick build + cheap $444 from C'ARF =Roo

I got my fibreclassix Roo before the composite arf price kill...flying it with a RAM 750 remote start I bought online for 1650 as I recall spent the $$$ on Robart and BVM & JR digital servos one matchbox kevlar tank and UAT.

I REALLY wanted a Bobcat but I am not into building sheeting and glassing wings.
The prepainted all composite F/C Roo became my jet of choice. Shopped around for deals on used and/or NIB equipment. Had the money and bought JR servos.

The Roo is fun to fly and I dont have to worry about hard landings( the ROOHOP), runway rash on the wing tips, or the loss if i total it, compared to a detailed scale project. I am a sport flyer not a "topgun" or "scale~masters".

Currenlty I am adding canards to my Roo to improve takeoff and landings.

I also fly a Top Gun Jets Topcat with a P-80 more like a bobcat great flyer.

Scale jet are a lot more $$$ and time to do all the details
heck $100-200 just for the "scale" pilot and cockpit

just my .02 bob eckel
Old 03-12-2004, 07:56 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Well, I got a Roo simply because I was in need of a cheap, good flying trainer. I managed to acquire one for $150 in good shape (relatively). On top of what everyone else has said there is a huge support network out there for the beginner Roo builder/flyer's (like myself) and there are people willing to help you on your first flight.

Nathan
Old 03-13-2004, 06:11 AM

Hello I am from the Bahamas and had just been to florida jets
I am the second turbine owner here in my country.
I got my roo from C-Arf and trubine from Franktiano Enterprises.

I saw lots of roos out there and with similar varations, hotspots.

Everyone says great choice

Old 03-13-2004, 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: trioval00

FalconWings,

guys correct me if i am wrong, but getting in the air for 2500????? not even close, i have a roo, with a used p80, robart retracts and bvm wheels and brakes, ( thanks , planes plus). Roo from composite delivered, $533.00 wheels and brakes and retrats, somewhere around $800.00 used turbine $2000.00, servos and match boxes, $850.00. maybe a little over kill on servos, fuel tank $150. yadda yadda yadda, and more that i have listed, but i am not complaining, i am getting ready for my second turbine, " the facet"

mark
Trioval. I need no electronics, no special tools, no airframe. I only need a good condition 14 lbs turbine for my F-16. That is it. I will not pat more thasn $2500. Even if I purchase a brand new Wren, I do not spend more than that.

No roos for me right now. I love scale jets. I find it unlikely for em to purchase a "delta wing"---not a pretty big fan. But this post has been very productive. Most people fly 'roos because they are affordable (almost to the point of being spendable), not for looks or because they fly better.

Thank you all for your honest comments. I hope somebody else finds this input as productive as I have.

David
Old 03-13-2004, 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Bill_Jehle

David,

BTW, I am a psychologist and take PAYPAL.........how may I help you?
Will you charge me per word or per post?
Old 03-13-2004, 08:27 PM
My Feedback: (1)

David,

It is based on "ugh-ughs" and head nods. Two per post is about average. BTW....you are going to love this aspect of the hobby.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:12 PM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Falconwings, you can do whatever you want. But don't discount all the experiance here. I highly recommend if you're going to do a turbine jet start with a $500.00 roo and when you're done learning, sell it and go build and fly whatever you want. I've seen you running your mouth off all over this forum. I used to do the same and I've told you that. The roo or any similar is a fantastic way to start into turbines. Once you've got 200 roo flights under your belt, you're ready to tackle pretty much anything. You may have seen the pics of the F-15 I'm doing. I've never flown a scale turbine jet (unless last weekend when I bought my Eurofighter and put about 10-15 flights on it counts). I have roughly 400 turbine flights under my belt. I now have the confidence it takes to take command of a scale turbine jet that has $9000.00 invested in it in material alone. The building took somewhere around 300 manhours. This thing is **** all the way around. I wouldn't let a non turbine pilot fly this thing on a buddy chord even if they guy had hundreds of DF flights under his belt. Those of us that have pressed our throttle stick till it bent waiting for a turbine to come up to speed on a botched landing attempt know exactly what I'm talking about. You try to pull that kind of crap on anything other than a ROO and you're screwed.

That F-16 you're talking about will punch a hole in the runway on your first landing attempt and you're gonna be there with the throttle pegged on your jet with your gear all blown out trying to save something. If someone other than you in this thread thinks I'm wrong, say it! I'll apoligize.

I wish you all the luck in the world, but flying turbine jets is just different. You'll find out. The ROO will teach you all you need to learn.

Sean
Old 03-14-2004, 11:17 AM
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No roos for me right now. I love scale jets. I find it unlikely for em to purchase a "delta wing"---not a pretty big fan. But this post has been very productive. Most people fly 'roos because they are affordable (almost to the point of being spendable), not for looks or because they fly better.

Thank you all for your honest comments. I hope somebody else finds this input as productive as I have.

David
David,

Can you say missed approach?
Do you understand the term wing loading?

The Roo is a lot more forgiving if you miss the approach. the Roo will fly slower and at a higher alpha than your scale jet while you are waiting for your turbine to spool up and provide the power needed to go around. With turbines you need to know you have missed before you make the fence those 3-6 seconds waiting for the power to come can seem like an eternity.

I have been there bent that. Bob
Old 03-14-2004, 12:16 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Sean. Get a Roo. For the price, it will be the best $$$ that you spend on learning. Then go for what you want after you've ripped the gear out of the cheap Roo four times. A Tango or Hot Spot would be good too.