Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 R/C Jet School? >

R/C Jet School?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

R/C Jet School?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 12:15 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C Jet School?

I'm a new RC Universe member and an ex-aerospace engineer who has been fascinated with gas turbine engines since childhood. I've been flying R/C airplanes for a year now and am working hard to enhance my piloting skills.

I'm fascinated by R/C jets and plan to attend my first jet meet at the earliest opportunity possible. I wonder how people learn to fly these things. Are there any R/C jet schools that one can go to for a week or two of intensive training? Since jet pilots are relatively rare, simply going out to a local club and finding someone to train you isn't very practical. (No one in my club or any club near me flies jets.)

Before I even consider learning to fly R/C jets, I'd like to learn all about miniature gas turbine engines. A school would be perfect. Does such a school exist?
Old 03-17-2004, 01:40 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: R/C Jet School?

Jeff,
First, welcome to RCU! As for how to get started, you have made the first right step..... Read, read, read as much as you can in the jets forums. There is a wealth of information here. Second, attend as many jet meets in your area as you can, no better place to learn than to attend the meets and talk to the guys flying them! Third, have a look [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1109761/mpage_1/key_beginning%252Cjets/anchor/tm.htm#1109761]here [/link], Jeremy has written a very informative thread that will answer alot of your questions. I am not aware of any "Jet Schools" you can attend unfortunatly.....
Then...... whatever questions you still have, ask away! Were happy to fill your brain with Jet-A Knowledge

Todd
Old 03-17-2004, 01:46 PM
My Feedback: (39)

how that you can buddy box with a turbine
someone will likely start one.
vinny
Old 03-17-2004, 01:48 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No only that I think the rules for paid instruction under AMA insurance are in the works.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:15 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Tennessee jets is coming up. You might check in with Kevin Green and maybe volunteer to be his "pit boy" for a day. You will learn alot then. Maybe even something about jets... j/k honestly, being part of a crew for a while will give you alot of insight to how they are built, what to look out for, what works and does not etc. in a short period of time.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:05 PM

Pat,

He ought to be a pit b i t c h for someone that actually FLIES at an event! LOL
Old 03-17-2004, 05:21 PM
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pitted asnd called for my buddy with a TopGunJets F-15 D/F @ MICH Jets

he converted it to turbine...
while I bought a Roo Topcat & Razor!
Old 03-17-2004, 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: vinnyjet

how that you can buddy box with a turbine
someone will likely start one.
vinny
lots of people do it in british rookie meets, (its the safest idea), Dave Wilshere and Ali Machinchy all do it, i have photos!
Old 03-17-2004, 10:16 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Hop on I 40 to Nashville. We fly every weekend if mother nature don't mind. Be glad to answer all I can.
You can probably get a little stick time too.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:52 PM

Welcome JeffPro,

you could buy and build a kit built turbine from Wren or SimJet and run it on the test stand - NOTHING like real world experience - plus it is alot of fun to see something you built actually fire up and run.........

Jackjet
Old 03-18-2004, 07:37 AM
My Feedback: (81)

You can call me at 931-490-1978 I did alot to start up the Tennessee jets it's first year and hope this year will be better. I will help you out all I can. This year it will be June 10-13 WE can give you all the jet school you want. We have a full size airport to fly at 6,500 long 115 feet wide it is hard to miss it.

Thanks
Mike Grant
Old 03-18-2004, 08:21 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Jeffpro,
You will find lots of help here on RCU.
If you want some reading on the aspects of the turbines here are two links to manufacturers that have their manuals available on line. Some good reading if you are going to get into it.

http://franktiano.com/FTE%20T-500%20...0%20Manual.pdf

also

http://jetcatusa.sitewavesonline.net...alV4.9_5.0.pdf

good luck
BC
Old 03-18-2004, 10:36 AM

Awesome! My wife's family is from Columbia, and I had heard that they fly jets there. Will definitely plan to attend once I've spoken to you and gotten some details.

I imagine one needs to be an accomplished R/C pilot before attempting to fly jets. I sneak out almost every day when I'm not traveling (weather permitting) to get stick time on my conventional planes (Avistar trainer, Hangar 9 1.50 P-51, Great Planes J-3 Cub, etc.). Now I have even more motivation to practice.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:39 PM

Where in Nashville do you fly?
Old 03-21-2004, 09:49 PM

Actually Jeffpro one of the top guys in this aspect of the hobby offers private instruction. His name is David Shulman and his web site is at www.daveshulman.com. I can't think of a better teacher. I don't know if he requires some base level of proficiency or what he charges, but you should contact him.

Antony

-----------------------
Old 03-21-2004, 11:01 PM
My Feedback: (38)

ORIGINAL: Jeffpro

Where in Nashville do you fly?
[8D][:@]Don't know how to put a map on here but,
I 40 west to the Old hickory blvd. exit, right on OHB(st. rt. 45) go about 8-10 miles you will cross
over the Cumberland river( big green bridge-can't miss it). Just over the bridge take a left and another imediate left, follow this road to flashing yellow light
(Neely's Bend) go left on Neely's Bend about 3 miles to Overton Rd. Go left on overton( it looks like someones driveway, but there is a sign). Field is at the end.
confused yet?
Randy
615-868-1994