Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 AV8R Gear Mount Came Off >

AV8R Gear Mount Came Off

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

AV8R Gear Mount Came Off

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 09:06 PM
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AV8R Gear Mount Came Off

I had my main gear come off today. The plywood and metal gear came out of the fuse all in one piece.

I am going to add one more piece of light ply the width of the fuse and extend it approx 3 in fore and aft.

The wind was dead calm and using the info from a different post doing a military style approach going to full flaps over the runway then start a pattern turn using throttle (only) to control altitude then idle on base turn and final I was able to greeze it on every time and come to a stop in 50-75 ft every time!

I don't think my landings caused the gear mount to come off (Maybe a previous (light) bounce had weekend the gear mount)?

Any way no damage was done to the plane or turbine.

Just FYI you guys might want to check and make sure your mounts are secure in that area!
Old 05-23-2004, 09:20 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: AV8R Gear Mount Came Off

Hi Don;
When I built my AV8R last year, I cut a new lg mount from 7 ply aircraft plywood that extended the full width of the fuse, instead of being inset on each side as per the kit.
I used 1/2 in triangle stock at each corner and then put a layer of 4 oz carbon cloth over the assembly inside the fuse.
Have never seen any signs of this starting to separate.
Ron Jahnig
Old 05-23-2004, 09:44 PM
My Feedback: (51)

Sounds like you did it right!!

I did not build this one so hopfuley this mod will be quick and easy!!
Old 05-23-2004, 10:56 PM
My Feedback: (28)

I noticed on mine that this area seems to be a little weak and beefed it up as much as I could.

I was out practicing landings on mine again today. 30mph winds and a slow plane with full flaps dont mix well. Another hard landing and a scraped nose, but its still is in flying condition. One day I will get these landings figured out.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:52 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I glassed the area inside around the LG area and it seems fine.

I had mine out this past weekend, Shok, I seem to have good luck landing by simply going to idle on my last turn onto final, and dropping full flaps (with the elevator mixed in you dont get any pitch change just notice start to slow down immediately) and then just gliding down on idle with the nose slightly raised. Touchdown, no bounce! I think my 60 size pattern plane is harder to land. The key is to let it slow down...

AJC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84176.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	135799  
Old 05-24-2004, 12:14 PM
My Feedback: (28)

yeah I have been making great landings, but the wind yesterday was alot and with full flaps, it just got too slow on me