Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 BVM F-86 test flight >

BVM F-86 test flight

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM F-86 test flight

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 10:31 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BVM F-86 test flight

I am getting ready to test fly my new Sabre. It is powered by a p-80. Wondering what most of these weigh with p-80s. Also how much nose weight is needed to balance it. Any other tips or suggestions for the first flight would be great...

Thanks
Bill
Old 08-16-2004, 03:19 PM

Default RE: BVM F-86 test flight

So I must be the only one that has a tail heavy F-86.

That can't be a good thing
Any other advice for the first flight would be great.

Bill
Old 08-16-2004, 07:43 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Try to hook up with the Carolina Nascar jet guy's. Keith has a BVM Saber with a Wren turbine in it.......
Old 08-17-2004, 06:01 AM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The way the balance was described to me was.. with the UAT full only, push the tail to the ground and it shoud JUST BARELY stay there. A short tap on the nose should drop it back to the nose gear. I'm flying mine with a P-70 and love it.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:50 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I've heard weights from 15 to 18 pounds depending on builder and onboard accessories. You should not need any nose weight if you position your receiver battery pack up front. We are using 5 cell, 6volt packs. Play with battery position( on top of inlet ducting) until you get the correct CG as suggested by BVM's plans. Plane flys great, don't worry about the first flight.
Be sure to have suggested elevator throw on high rates.
Good luck.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the info guys

Bill
Old 08-17-2004, 02:23 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My BVM F-86 P-80 with wing tanks, scale cockpit and detailed paint scheme weighed 19 lbs. dry. Mine balance right on c.g. with two 6 volt rx packs in the nose and that heavy full bodied BVM pilot. The plane flies very sweet. Matter of fact mine did not require a single click of any trim to fly hands off. My only word of warning is that at the beginning of the flight when all the tanks are full, especially the single rear tank, try to stay away from any manuevers that would require "hard" elevator pulls. This plane will snap/stall. The good news is that they recover very easily when you point the nose down & wings level. We had two of them here built w/P-80s and both of them flew identical. After a couple of minutes into the flight you will notice how much it will lighten up and reduce the chances of an elevator induced stall/spin. My buddy typically flew his without filling the rear tank. My plane was absolutely ballistic with a P-80+. If I build another it will be with a P-60 or JB-50 to keep the wing loading down. Good Luck and happy flying.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:30 PM

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Mine is a delight witha PST 600R and C of G as per specs. Rock steady flying, not overpowered, (nor was the real F86) and lands beautifully. Needs a fair bit of thrust in the landing configuration. Not noticed any tendency to stall-flick and pitch response in early part of flight is a little reduced, just right after some fuel is burned off.
Regards, David Gladwin.