Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 RCM plans - F-4 Phantom #1076 >

RCM plans - F-4 Phantom #1076

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RCM plans - F-4 Phantom #1076

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCM plans - F-4 Phantom #1076

Has anyone built from these plans? The plans were sketched up in late 1990. It calls for a .77 - .81 DF engine. I am wondering if anyone has built a plane from this set of plans and what Ducted Fan assembly/engine combination someone might have used.

Thanks,

Todd
Old 08-21-2004, 06:17 PM

Default RE: RCM plans - F-4 Phantom #1076

dear funster,
i have just saw ur mail and i wonder did u built the f4 or not yet,any way i have a byron 77 d/f unit,so if this phantom suitable for byron fan i wish if u can scan the plan and send it to me,its very difficult to find a byron plan this day,
best regards
typhoon.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:20 PM

typhoon,

I have not built this airplane yet. My post was actually to inquire if anyone else had built it and could give me some tips on what engine to use. Sounds like you might be in search of the same answers. Anyway, the plans that I have are from RCM Magazine and can be found at the following link. Type in 1076 in the search box and it will take you to the plans.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...ml?command=env
Old 08-21-2004, 08:48 PM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I have not built an F-4 from these plans , but I do remember the article in RCM. It is a nice looking F-4 Phantom, when finished. It will not accept a Byron fan, as this plane is too small. The Jet Hanger Hobbies F-4 is larger and flies very well on an OS.65 / .77 or .91. The only F-4 Phantoms that I know will work with a Byron fan are the old George Miller kit (now sold by Iron Bay) or the old ITP F-4 kit, which used 2 Byron fans. The ITP kit has been out of production for some time.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:09 PM
My Feedback: (32)

I bought both the "fun fantom" and that f-4. The one that uses the dynamax is small. I built the fun fhantom and with iron on film had it at 8-1/2 lbs w os 77. I'm in the process of building the second. I had to move and sold it before i had a chance to fly it. I'm also a collector of byron powered jet plans. The rcm fun fhantom, F-100, and the Ma f4d sky ray are on the build list. I have flown the george miller and It is awsome if you can get one. I have to finish that one the hope to start cutting the skyrays parts. But that will share time with a f-14 avonds.

MAn to many jets so little time
Old 08-22-2004, 08:17 PM

thanks 4 all of pilots,,
i cant explain how happiness iam to found at last people i can talk with them about d/f planes ,all my friends in the club loves propeler models and what is killing me more that they love to fly control line models more than r/c ,,im gonna be crazy soon,,
so back to byron,,
b17flyer u said u collect byron powered jet plans so could u pls scan any one of those plans[with high resolution scan so i can prin it again] suitable for os.77 and mail it to me through the net [it the fastest way to start buliding]
or tell me how it will cost for surface mail and how i can transfere it to u,,
pls pilots ,,i have been waiting for long time to do my firts d/f model and i dont have suitable plans for this dam unit,,if any one can help i'm here and waiting.
thanks every body
Old 08-22-2004, 10:36 PM

I couldn't scan them. But all of them are available on those magazines web stores. It would cost as much just to get them photo copied. also watch ebay. sometimes good plans come up.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:45 PM

Oh, if you don't mind something sport design. Modify a balsa usa enforcer. all the speed of a jet and lands better than most trainers. and an os 77 would be mor than enough power. mine was powered by a rossi 82 and 7 lbs.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:33 PM

thanks b17flyer,i will do my best,by the way ,,why did u choose the b17 as ur nick name do u love it that much????
Old 08-23-2004, 06:55 PM

Guys,

Thanks for the input on the F-4. I bought the plans on a whim when I made an order for some others a couple of years ago. I don't think it is the right plane for me right now. What I am really looking for is a starter jet that would take an engine/fan combo on the lower scale of $$$. I am thinking the O.S. .46DF with the Turbax I fan. Any suggestions on what might be a better plane?
Old 08-24-2004, 01:14 PM

I also have a b-17 ,american eagle kit, and was just starting to fly it when i signed up. I now fly d/f jets/jet/ multi engine warbirds, or what ever RCU gives me to review. I change my avatar when i complete the next project. I will change to a byron f16 that i just refinished here later today.

As for a 45 sport design. I think that fun fhantom would fly on a 45 as its weight is low enough. and simply modify the interior for a smooth flow from fan back. you can easilt build a small d/f for about 50$. search fo a thread one new one old. that was scrathch build and quik.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:52 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Hallo Tood;
I have built two RCM F-4 (#1076) in the last year. The plans were made by a Pavel Bosak that somehow got messecd up RCM in translations. However this model is nice flying and easy to build (if you have done three or four buildings from plans alone before).
RCM text instructions are incomplete (when compared to the RCJI text)and are totaly lacking in the critical pictures of sub-assemblies. Plus RCM is out of back issues of the F-4 article. You need to get a RCJI back issue for Dec/Jan 1999 from www.Traplet.com.
A few notes to help you from my building are: 1) Use Sullivan D-11 saddle tanks installed in fan bay between f-5&6 (you then have the fuel nearer to cg for easier flying and access to the fuel tanks). Need to extend this bay back about 1-3/4'' to accommodate. 2). Do not try to get 5/8"x5/8" maple mounts at LHS. Just make some from maple stock. 3) Plans call for Rohm Air retracts but to use Springair retracts the f-2&3 must be changed for the nose gear. 4) On fuselage formers f-2,-4&-5 laminate from 1/8" lite ply core and 1/64" ply cover on both side with carbon fibre mat or weave. This same lamination is made on the f-8 tail support. This makes for a stronger and lighter critical parts. 5) Ah the beast: The exhaust tube from f-6 to f-7 is the hardest part. I made a hot wire cut styrofoam mold for mine. Then I made two part (top and bottom) kraft (shopping bag grade) paper mache molding (using thinned carpenter glue) that was finshed with carbon mat/weave and expoxy resin. 6) Lightening holes put in the wing ribs and carbon fibre stringers aadded to the wing sheeting. 7) Put a 1/64 ply vertical sheet in the centerline of the nose block (final shape) to keep it correct. 8) Make the cockpit removable so that you can use a starter probe thru f-4.
My F-4 Phantom uses a Dynamax fan, K&B .82, Mac pipe, BVM fairings on fan unit and is guided with Airtronics Quantum 8 PCM. I finished mine like the designer and used wet tissue and Aerogloss dope covering. This is nice size stand off scale flyer. Enjoy.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:24 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have purchased the RCM F-4 plans #1076 but have not started building it as of now. I do intend to start on it this next spring, so any one with tips would greatly be appreciated.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:31 PM

got any pics or video of your f-4 with the k&b.82????? love it see themm..

Thanks. -RaZoR
Old 11-19-2004, 05:35 PM

I believe the cost between the os46vx-df and the os91vr-df is about only $50+/- dollars.. The small head version can be bought for like $275 and the os46 can be bought for like $225 both from tower.. and the price different from the turbax to dynamx to ramtec are all pretty much similar.. taking this info into thought money wise their wont be that much of a difference.. just a different in performance/weight/fuel load/etc.. gooooooooood luck

-RaZoR
ORIGINAL: Funster40

Guys,

Thanks for the input on the F-4. I bought the plans on a whim when I made an order for some others a couple of years ago. I don't think it is the right plane for me right now. What I am really looking for is a starter jet that would take an engine/fan combo on the lower scale of $$$. I am thinking the O.S. .46DF with the Turbax I fan. Any suggestions on what might be a better plane?
Old 11-29-2004, 05:28 PM

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone has tried the Jim Pepino F4 plan offered by www.kitcutters.com

BR
Tom Laird
Old 11-29-2004, 05:52 PM

pretty kool website..