Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Deltron 2000 DMD question >

Deltron 2000 DMD question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Deltron 2000 DMD question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 10:49 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Deltron 2000 DMD question

Is DMD just the pure pigment of DBC? I thought I was getting DBC and I got this DMD1677 (scarlet red pigment)

So is this just DBC topcoat?

Get this, $104 bucks for a quart...ouch

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Old 08-28-2004, 11:46 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Deltron 2000 DMD question

Matt,

That's the mixing base. Red is always the most expensive pigment.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:42 AM

ORIGINAL: DavidR

That's the mixing base.
Hi David,

So what does that mean, do I use it just like any other DBC topcoat?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 08-29-2004, 09:36 AM
My Feedback: (39)

Matt,

We still spray the old DBU base/clear system. It uses the DMD mixing bases with intermix DBX695 and DRR reactive reducers. I think you can spray the DMD straight without an intermix (they have one for DBC, I just don't know the # right off hand). Just reduce it with straight DT reducers according to humidity and temp. I spray all my planes with DMD bases and DT reducers. The clear topcoat will set the colors.
On another note, red pigments use to cost the most, but we now have a blue toner that costs $165.00 per quart.

Hope this helps,
Ron Ballard
Old 08-29-2004, 10:04 AM

Matt,

You will need to add a binder to the mixing tint as it will not dry properly if used as is. There are specific mixing ratios of binder to tint. The ratios vary quite a bit, so it would be a good idea to check with your local auto paint supplier. He can look up a formula that uses mostly the tint you have and use that ratio. When I mix up custom colors (not a formula from a factory code) I go with a ratio of about 1:1 tint to binder. I'm currently using Dupont paints in my shop so I'm more familiar with them. I have used PPG in the past though and the mixing ratios are similar. One of my suppliers sells PPG so if you have any trouble getting help let me know and I'll get a ratio for you.

Chris
Old 08-29-2004, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. My jobber is normally extremely helpful and knows I am an amateur and paint models, just not sure whay she gave me this. I will call her and find out what I need to get

Thanks again,

Matt
Old 08-29-2004, 12:15 PM
My Feedback: (39)

Matt,
I just came to the shop to look up the intermix # for DBC (binder is another correct term).
It is DBX1689 basecoat converter. For small applications you can spray DMD with DT reducer, however, for larger areas it is advisable to do as Chris suggested, intermix or bind the formula.
The DBC lays out much flatter (more even, less peel) than DBU, which is why many choose this over more conventilnal (older) finishes. DBC was developed to compete with the foriegn market
where most auto finishes are smoother, less peel- than say a GM pickup truck finish.

Good luck,
Ron Ballard