Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 More fuel in Skymaster F-18? >

More fuel in Skymaster F-18?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

More fuel in Skymaster F-18?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More fuel in Skymaster F-18?

Have anyone found a need to get more fuel in the Skymaster f-18?

Meassured my tanks yesterday, and they only hold 2,8 liters... I plan on using a thirsty 16 Kg. or 36 Lbs. turbine in mine, so I am going to need more fuel in it. I would like to have about 4,5 liters onboard, so that mean I have to find room for another 1,7 liters somewhere...? Anyone done it before?

Skymaster should really consider making bigger tanks for the F-18. 2,8 liters is IMO adequate for a 6-8 kg. or 12-18 Lbs. turbine if you want anywhere near 10 minutes in the air with some fuel left for go-arounds.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:38 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Default RE: More fuel in Skymaster F-18?

Staale,

have you considered adding a centerline wet fuel tank? I did that with my JHH F-15 a few years ago by inserting a 3/4 liter water bottle inside the drop tank. worked great thereby adding another 2 minutes atleast to my internal fuel.

take care

buck
Old 08-30-2004, 01:02 PM

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

Staale,

have you considered adding a centerline wet fuel tank? I did that with my JHH F-15 a few years ago by inserting a 3/4 liter water bottle inside the drop tank. worked great thereby adding another 2 minutes atleast to my internal fuel.
Yes I have.
I have the Skymaster under wing tanks and missiles, but did not get the center line tank. Ali (Al's models) told me that Skymaster have discontinued the centerline tank for the F-18 due to ground clearance problems.

I think there is room for more fuel if the rear tanks was re-designed. I think there would also be room for about a liter in a conformal tank just in front of the turbine above where the inlets meet.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:08 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am planning on adding a tank for smoke fuel in front of the inlets. As you have mentioned, there is plenty of room there.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:23 PM

I was more thinking above the inlets... Only problem is I can not make them my self...[&o]
Old 08-30-2004, 02:42 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Staale,
Make some foam plugs that will fit into the space where you want to add fuel. Send them to me and I have some kevlar cells made for you.
Todd
Old 08-30-2004, 03:50 PM

Tanks a lot for the suggestion, Todd.

I may be able to get some help here in Norway making them. I'll check it out first.

Maybe Skymaster or a company making fuel cells should look into it...? I can't be the only one wanting more fuel capacity in the Bug.
2,8 liters + UAT wouldn't last long with 35 lbs. class turbine drinking over half a liter pr. minute...

I have a friend testing out a Frank turbine 70/16 on his AD large Rafale with 4,8 liters on board. With the timer set at 6 mins., he lands with just enough fuel for one or two go-arounds. When he was flying it with a SimJet 3000, the timer was at 8 mins. and well over a liter left in the tanks after the flight....

By the way, Todd... Just discovered your Dreamworks site the other day, and I have to say it looks great with a lot of sensible products for us jetusers! Keep it up!
Old 08-30-2004, 05:21 PM

Staale,

Thank you for your suggestion on the fuel capacity. I will discuss this suggestion with Anton at Skymaster on the future design of our tanks to increase the fuel capacity of our planes. From our experience, there is plenty of room to add extra tanks in this F-18. We've used two 24 oz Du-Bro tanks for our smoking systems, and you can use it as additional fuel tanks too. We've done it before, and it worked just fine.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:14 AM

Eric:

I'll be first in line if Anton is going to makes bigger tanks...[8D]
Where did you place the two 24 oz tanks?
Old 09-01-2004, 07:32 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Hello Staale

We put the tanks infront of the main tank in the nose section.