Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
CHARGERS >

CHARGERS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CHARGERS

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 11:44 PM
My Feedback: (178)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHARGERS

I have a multitude of chargers from AstroFlite 110D to Orbit Microlader to Sirius LTD to Horizon, I need a good (the best) all around charger that can handle NiMh, NiCd , Lithium Ion, and the like.. I have big packs on my turbines and mostly NiMh packs for Rx. whats the best all around, most simplistic charger available?
Old 08-19-2002, 01:33 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default CHARGERS

Rick, I like the 110D for simplicity.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:50 AM

Default search the jets section

Hey Rick:

This subject has been raised quite a few times in this forum, so you might want to run a search for either "chargers" or Graupner Ultra Duo" in the jets section to see some of the past threads. You may also want to take a look at Eddie Weeks Rig posts since he wrote one not too long ago in which he addressed how he charges that monster.

I have an Ace Digipace II at home and a Graupner Ultra Duo for the field. I am about to add a Hitec CG335 to my collection since the Graupner only has one output that can run automatically. This still will not be an ideal combination in my opinion, but it's a pretty cost effective solution for now.

You may also want to check into the Schultz (sp?) web site since they are the company that make the Graupner chargers. Their chargers cost slightly less and have more current (no pun intended) software.

Good luck.

Antony
Old 08-19-2002, 03:44 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Default decisions, decisions, decisions......

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...t=jet+chargers

heres a link, I asked the same question. Still havent figured out which one yet......
Old 08-19-2002, 07:22 AM
My Feedback: (44)

Default CHARGERS

Hi Rick;

You are asking too much!!!! There is no perfect charger for our hobby..... yet. In my humble opinion, you will have to use a couple of chargers to satisfy different needs and different batts. I run Sirius on my regular planes, helis and Tx's. I run Robbes (two of them ) on my turbines and jets. They tell you how much mah they put in. I caught a 1400 mah JR pack down at 1100 in my Bandit. That alone saved it. I also use Alpha 4 at home for breaking in new packs and for ch/disch ability. So there you have it, buy one or two of each and you will be ok...I had to...
Old 08-19-2002, 01:17 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CHARGERS

I use the FMA SuperNova. It is a great charger at a good price ( about $120). It will charge Nicad, NiMH and Even your Lead acid starting battery as well.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:37 PM

Default question

well you can never say that I ask easy questions, this is probably one of the most controversial questions in the hobby,
and I had to be the one to ask it...

I recently went to Mississippi to meet David Reed and Vern Montgomery, and they had graupner chargers, but I cant for the life of me remember which ones they were, these chargers seemed to be pretty universal and had lots of bells and whistles, Dave or Vern, if you read this post, let me know what chargers you guys have.

I think as chargers go, I've pretty much covered the bases with what I have now, but as always, I try to simplify this disease with devices that can let me minimize the stuff I have to carry around.

So the quest continues, keep those cards and letters coming folks.. :stupid:
Old 08-19-2002, 01:50 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default CHARGERS

Graupner Ultra Duo II

DR
Old 08-19-2002, 01:55 PM

Default CHARGERS

Rick,

I have the latest Graupner MC Ultra Duo Plus 30.

It will charge Nicd, Nimh, Lead acid and Lithium ion batteries and will even make you coffee while you wait...

Got to http://www.graupner.de, if you don't shprechen zie Doytch, then go to http://www.graupner.com

BRG
Chris
Old 08-19-2002, 02:41 PM

Default : )

I think I'll try the Graupner, thanks guys for your input.. much appreciated
Old 08-19-2002, 04:45 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CHARGERS

I'm surprised you find the Orbit lacking........

I have a coupla Alpha 4's but I needed some field chargers. I did all of my homework and it came down to the Schulze and the Orbit. I ordered the Orbit but it didn't seem like there was much difference between the two. Let us know how the Graupner compares to the Orbit.
'
Bob
Old 08-19-2002, 05:08 PM
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default chargers

The Astro flight 112D is simple and handles up to 36cells x 5amps

Vin...
Old 08-19-2002, 05:11 PM
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default graupner

I heard that they had an english version now?
Scott
Old 08-19-2002, 05:59 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Default Chargers

Rick,

I use the limited edition Sirius Quad Charger and it works beautifully. It will SIMULTANEOUSLY charge 3 RX (or other higher cell count) packs of 1000-4000 mah capacity in addtion to one TX pack of 500-2000 mah capacity. That's right, four packs at once. Couldn't be simpler to operate, just plug in the packs and when the LED on the charger starts blinking you are done. No buttons to push, no knobs, no readouts, control panels, menus, nothing. Works on AC or DC, nothing else to buy.

I use it for my HotSpot, giant scale aerobatic stuff and even my Diamond Dust (and soon my Whiplash!)

Some guys don't care for them for three reasons: it only charges at a fixed 1 amp rate , it has no cycling function and it is expensive at about 350 dollars.

I ALWAYS recharge after every flight so the 1 amp rate is not a problem for me. Unlike some multi-chargers; however, it charges EVERY pack at 1 amp. To cycle my batteries I use another Sirius product called a Super Test. Yes, the Quad Charger is expensive, especially when adding in the cost of the Super Test unit but overall still a lot cheaper than three or four Graupners or Orbit Microladers.

I absolutely love mine. Simple as dirt, built like a tank and works like a charm. Couldn't ask for much more.

I believe the web site is www.siriuselectronics.com. George Joy is the man to talk to.

Gene
Old 08-20-2002, 01:08 AM

Default quad charger

hey Gene, I went to the site but don't see the quad charger in the product line.. any ideas?
Old 08-20-2002, 01:33 AM
My Feedback: (85)

Default CHARGERS

The Graupner is a good charger but the Schlutze charger is better. Although Schulze makes the Graupner, the Graupner has outdated software. The Schulze ISL 330 will charge all of the battery types that you specified including BOTH types of lithium ion. The Schulze is the same price as the Graupner. Additionally, you can spend an additional $40 and upgrade the Schulze charger with an RS 232 interface with software to chart and graph your batteries on your PC!!! The software will enable you to see if the specs on your particular pack have changed. I don't know of any other charger that will enable you to do that. Oh, this charger can accomodate up to 30 cells!!! Chris Huhn also has one and maybe he can add to anything that I may have left out. Kevin

P.S.----The text on the Schulze is in english.
Old 08-20-2002, 02:56 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Default Schultze 330RS

Kevin:

Do you know where to get one? I want to upgrade my UltraDuo.

R-C Direct has had them on backorder forever. I can't even find one on the Euro sites.

Thanks----Tom
Old 08-20-2002, 06:01 AM

Default CHARGERS

Try Shulze directly.

http://www.schulze-elektronik.com/index_uk.htm

BRG
Chris
Old 08-20-2002, 11:36 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default CHARGERS

I have been considering the Shultze as well.

DR
Old 08-20-2002, 12:42 PM

Default Sirius Quad Charger

Rick,

You are right, it's not on the web site. Last time I talked to George he said he is just so busy he hasn't gotten around to it. Best bet is to just call George at Sirius.

I'll take a digital photo of mine and either post it or email it to you. For now I can tell you it just looks like a giant version of the Sirius pro except it has four charge leads and a cooling fan. It has the same simple operation and LED setup on the front. Mine has both an AC cord and DC leads but I am told the new versions come with just the DC leads and a separate AC power supply.

Gene
Old 08-20-2002, 12:53 PM

Default ; )

Graci
Old 08-20-2002, 05:11 PM

Default Quad Charger

Rick,

Here's a photo of the Sirius Quad Charger next to a standard Pro model for size comparison.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22258_257.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	13889  
Old 08-20-2002, 09:16 PM
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Sirius

Dustflyer,

I have been using the Sirius Pro and limited chargers at the field and on the bench at home. They are simple to operate and have never failed me, I charge between each flight.

Vin...
Old 08-20-2002, 10:49 PM
My Feedback: (85)

Default Schulze Chargers

I purchased my Schulze charger at Discount Hobbies Warehouse in San Diego CA. I don't have the phone# but I bet that Shaun Evans of Yellow Aircraft and Harley Condra (BVM Rep.) does. Now that I think about it I guess you could just call information. I believe that it is on Convoy Ave, Street,???

The charger has a ton of other features as I said in an earlier post. An important one now comes to mind; If you connect the charger up backwards---no harm is done---it will tell you!!! The instruction manual is very intense. It will give you several helpful tips on what conditions to store your batteries. Some like to be stored charged, others like to be discharged. It all depends on the battery type. I could go on and on. I guess that you can tell that I like mine!!! Kevin
Old 08-20-2002, 11:22 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default Dymond

The Dymond SUper Turbo is what I settled on.

I didn't want one of the chargers limited to std flight pack sizes. I have now charged my glow igniter single cell with this charger up to a 16 cell (21v+ at peak) motor pack. No worries at all. Charges up to 26 cells.

Wanting a versatile charger that is also simple is almost a contradiction. THe Dymond does have alot of features and is versatile, but you don't need to read a whole book to get started. THe directions fit on a sheet of paper.

It can remember parameters for up to 8 different battery types and has pre programmed peak detection curves for both Nimh and NiCD, which are also user adjustable.

I don't know anything about Li batts, so couldn't tell you if it's adjustable for those.

Check:

http://www.rc-dymond.com/Chargers/20156SuperSmart.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.