Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Kangaroo with canards?? >

Kangaroo with canards??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Kangaroo with canards??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 07:51 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kangaroo with canards??

I saw a post about this somewhere and now I cant find it so I will raise the question here. Has anyone added canards to their Kangaroo or Hotspot (funtional or fixed) and if so, what are the benefits of doing so? I have heard they really help slow it down for landings but have not heard from anyone who actually is flying one of these birds with them.
TIA
Todd
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	108_211.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	710  
Old 12-12-2001, 10:23 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Kangaroo with canards??

Todd,

One of my flying buddies in The Mississippi Gang added canards to his Roo. His are functional and it does help somewhat with the handling characteristics of the roo. If you will email me I will give you his email address and contact info.

David Reid
Old 12-13-2001, 01:21 AM
My Feedback: (92)

Default Canards

They will work, but watch a couple of things. If they are either fixed or controllable, you will need to move the CG forward to keep the same pitch stability. If you made them free-flying so that they always stayed aligned with the relative wind could you leave the CG in the original position. But you wouldn't have any aerodynamic advantage, they'd just be there for looks. Reason for the need to shift CG is that they change the neutral point of the model. Kind of the same as if the whole wing is moved forward.

I think they could be a big help to the flying wing models. From what I've seen they tend to run out of pitch authority long before they hit stall speed. "Wing" type models are adding reflex to the airfoil when you add up elevon. This dumps some of the lift. With canards, you use them more for pitch control instead of the elevons. More lift is now available. IOW, you can land quite a bit slower. You should also have more positive pitch control.

Watch the placement of the pivot point. Too far aft and it could be "grabby" and prone to flutter. A little bit too far forward would be a lot safer with just a bit more load on the servo being the negative.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:27 AM
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Canards

I added canards to the origonal Rookie ( updated Roo basically ) .. I had not moved the CG forward enough to compensate for these, and had the plane pitch up hard on landing ( though the flight was pretty good ... )

Voy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61856.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	600066