Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 FC F-86 Struts >

FC F-86 Struts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FC F-86 Struts

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 04:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default FC F-86 Struts

I am currently building a FC F-86. The gear struts are Robart but the springs in them are very weak, I don't think they are the original Robart springs. The struts can be compressed with about 5lbs force. the result is that the bare airframe weight will bottom out the struts. This is quite useless and Imay as well have solid struts. So I want to replace the springs wing uprated ones. But what rating should I use? I seem to recall some learned peson once proposing a formula for this purpose based on the models weight. I am expecting the model to weigh in at around 25lbs. Can anyone shed any light on this problem?
Thanks,

John.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:05 PM

Default RE: FC F-86 Struts

Anyone?
Old 11-29-2004, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems to me that this is due to scale appearance, as when lowered they sit that way on the ground, i have buiult one of these and used stock gear.
regards, fred
Old 11-29-2004, 04:01 PM

Thanks Fred,
Yeah I figured that was the case but I had to cut my struts down 8mm to get the wheels in the wells. If the model is sat onits wheels now the struts bottom out and it then sits nose up. I think that the struts on the full size F-86 may have extended slightly as they retracted.
How have you found them if you are using the stock items. They must give you no shock absorbtion at all? Any issues with them in use. BTW, which colour scheme did you use? I am trying to fnd details of the Argentinian Airforce display scheme.
Regards,

John.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello john!
well, indeed the gear extend a lot on the real thing to reach the fuse bay! i didn´t have to shortne it, as far as i remember...
shock absorbing is almost nothing, for shure, i only have extended the coils a little more, to have more pressure. the planer fley only 4 times, no issues until now, this doesenpt belongs to me, i´m a pro modelbuilder...
i have done it in JASDAF colours, and custom made the stencils for her
for argentinean scheme, try to reach Gustavo Campana, he lives there, have done one in that scheme and probbably will help you, he is very gentle and nice guy!
if i can be of further help. ask me!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63956.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	197766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56688.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	197767  
Old 11-29-2004, 05:56 PM

[8D]WOW! She looks really, really nice. I have about 1 million question that spring to mind and I may take you up on your offer and email you at some stage. I am hoping to do a really good scale model but you seem to have set the bar pretty high. I will try and look up your friend as an Argentinian scheme would be unusual in Europe.
I love the drop tanks by the way.
Regards,

John.