Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 PPG OMNI base/clear questions >

PPG OMNI base/clear questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

PPG OMNI base/clear questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 03:27 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPG OMNI base/clear questions

Hey guys....Seems like you JET guys do most of the painting so I'm asking here for help painting the fiberglass parts on a new 35% Extra.
From what I've been reading I decided to go with the PPG Omni base/clearcoat system. when I dropped of the color chips and had my list I asked for MC161 clear (only because it seemed that's what you guys use). A few days later when I picked up all the "stuff" and got home I realized they gave me MC261. The 261 is 4+1 and 161 is a 2+1 so I assume the 161 is a higher solids.
Questions...does it make a difference for model airplane use? What I know about painting you can write on the head of my ...umm..pencil but I would think the 161 would be easier to work with for a rookie.

Also. Since it's so darn cold in PA now can I paint in my cold garage IF. I keep the parts and paint in the house. Take it into the garage to shoot and then bring back into the house? It won't take long to shoot the parts but I'm still concerned the quick change in temperature could cause a problem.

I will be using a Devilbis Finishline gun for painting. Any suggestions for the tip size for the color and clear?

thanks in advance for any help you can offer
Steve
Old 01-28-2005, 04:35 PM
My Feedback: (39)

Default RE: PPG OMNI base/clear questions

Send them to me, I'll paint them for you.

Ron Ballard
Decatur, Indiana
260-724-8936
Old 01-28-2005, 05:14 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Steve
I am not able to speak to your question on the clear, BUT, you would be highly advised not to bring the painted parts back into the house. The system is toxic, and BTW, OMNI has a very strong oder as well.
Best regards
Greg Anixter
Old 01-28-2005, 05:50 PM

The best temp for painting and clearing with automotive products is 70 F. As for using MC261, I see no problem in using it for painting our plane.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:52 PM

I forgot to say the best tips size to use is a 1.4mm tip for basecoat and the clear.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:05 AM
My Feedback: (110)

Just wanted to add something to this posting. I am getting ready to use Omni for a Composite-arf Yak, and wanted to know about flex additives. Is anyone putting flex additives in ther paint? Is it a spray coat you apply prior to your primary colors? I have a quart (not sure of the part # at the moment) and there are now instructions attached. Can any one help in this matter (maybe most feel you dont even need it)
Thanks
Bill
Old 02-17-2005, 09:20 AM
My Feedback: (39)

Flex additive is not necessary for the application you describe. Flex additives are added to the top coat clear coats and do slow down the cure process considerably. We only use these additives in extreme cases where excessive amounts of twisting and streching are required for bumper installation.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,
Ron Ballard
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85507.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	230535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26960.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	230536  
Old 02-17-2005, 09:48 AM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting question. Last year I worked with a Mercedes Painter at a mercedes dealership on my F-15 ( www.my87.com ) check out the link to the F-15 and paint. But anyway, he did put a flex additive in the paint. I had never done that before. So I can tell you that it won't hurt anything, but I've had jets without it and they turned out nice too!
Old 02-17-2005, 01:10 PM
My Feedback: (110)

Yeah, I got turned on to this idea from a discusion with Gerhard from Aircraft International. They use a flex addative on their arf (3W German made) kits. The one thing they do that probably causes them to use the addative is cover foam core balsa wings with coverite and then airbrush designs. Understandable since your covering will rinkle at some point causing the paint to chip. Guys thanks for the replys.