Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 I need your expert advise on a few questions >

I need your expert advise on a few questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

I need your expert advise on a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need your expert advise on a few questions

Hi

I got bitten by the jet bug and was lucky enough to grab one for a good deal.It is a Byron F-16 with the turbine conversion with the duct etc.I have been flying gas for 9 years and I am very confident to try something else.I now just want some input from you guys on these following questions.

1. I usually fly with normal JR R700 6 channel FM receivers.Can I use it or do I need PCM?

2.What range retracts can I use from Robart?

3.Can I use a normal JR1400 mah nicad pack?

4.What extra accesories do I need?(Is there a site for beginner jet pilots that explains this)I already got a bay turbine 12lbs

Your input would gladly be appreciated!!!

Regards

Jacques
Old 04-12-2005, 06:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: I need your expert advise on a few questions

Jacques

I know South Africa is a big country with relatively few jet flyers. The best advice I can give you is to try and find out if there is anyone near you who could assist you.

You will need a PCM rx with a minimum of 8 channels to operate a jet. Your nicad is too small, most jets need nose weight and, instead of using lead which is a dead weight you are better to use a bigger battery, saves field charging too.

I do not know anything about bay? turbines.

Best of luck

John
Old 04-12-2005, 06:49 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If 6 channels are all you need, then that's all you need. As for PCM, it by itself is not necessary. However, some sort of fail safe capability (most notably for shutting the turbine down if radio signal is corrupted) is highly desired. You do not need PCM for this. In fact, in my experience, the MPX IPD receivers are superior. You can certainly fly a turbine with a regular PPM FM system, but when the crap hits the fan, you may go in with the turbine running with the associated fire hazard potential. 1400 mah NiCads are fine, again, if that is what you need. Just be certain to stay on top of them to be sure there is capability left. I prefer twin batteries and switches for redundancy. You ought to have a CO2 extinguisher. In the USA that is mandatory.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:14 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Here is one way you could do 6 channels on a turbine powered Byron F-16.

1 - Aileron
2 - Elevator/Wheel Brakes
3 - Throttle
4 - Rudder/Nose Wheel Steering
5 - Retracts
6 - Turbine
Old 04-12-2005, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a couple of jet flyers in south africa, send me a PM.