Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
How about some turbine dont's >

How about some turbine dont's

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How about some turbine dont's

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 03:02 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How about some turbine dont's

If you test turbines on your driveway like I do. point it away from your vehicle.(grin)
The comment about being prepared for a emergency is right on. Think through the emergency procedures before you do a test start.
Bob
Old 01-17-2007, 03:55 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Testing turbines on the bench is actually rather fun.

A half-dozen or so bench runs outside the aircraft for familiarization may save your aircraft from a hot start after first installed. Set it up on a plank with the fuel systems, UAT, propane supply, all valves/connectors, batteries, ECU & Rx about the same position as you plan to install it. Do a number of starts (with ear protectors, out in the boonies if necessary) that way until you are comfortable with it. Do a range check and demonstrate the failsafe features to your satisfaction.

Impress the other club guys with how dedicated you are before the 1st flight at their field. Helps keep 'jet friently' fields. Everybody loves the smell of kerosine in the morning.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:31 PM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

When you get to the field the other guys are going to be all around looking and checking it out. Make sure to move people away from the rear of the engine, and also from the sides. People seem to want to look up the tail pipe when you start! Bob
Old 01-17-2007, 05:06 PM

how about some DO'S

DO jump up an down with excitment when it arrives

DONT jump up an down withe excitment with it in your hands

DO love an caress it

DO drool at it

DONT drool all over it

DONT place it next to you in bed were the missus should be sleeping it doesnt go down to well, with the missus that is,,

and most of ALL ENJOY the sound and power of that beast.

heeee heeeeeeeeeee
Old 01-17-2007, 05:49 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Don't fly over the pitts????[:-] No relly sounds like friendly advice.. Great reading. I hope to be involved in Jets next season.
I live a few blocks for Mr Tom Cook. He gave me flying lessons 40 years ago. He also gave me a few istructions onhow to build, as I have given him a couple of ideas as well.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:51 PM
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI, I have two don'ts, first if you are like me and put a plug on the over flow to bring your jet indoors, don"t forget to remove it next time you go flying and secondly, don"t go to the flying flield and discover you brought the wroung module.
Rcpete
Old 01-18-2007, 02:04 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 129 Likes on 112 Posts

Add a FOD screen to the turbine to prevent any objects to be sucked into the engine. During winter ( right now ) keep your Propane bottle warm at all times, the cold temps. will not let the propane flow 'till you bring the temp. on the bottle up, you may think there is no more propane in the bottle because it is not flowing because it is to cold.

If you get a hot start, extinguish it right away to prevent any heat damage to the pipe.