Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
How about some turbine dont's >

How about some turbine dont's

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How about some turbine dont's

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 06:50 AM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How about some turbine dont's

Getting one in a couple days, just want to know what to definately not do to hurt that baby!

Thanks!

Obviously run the right fuel and oil, its a P80 jetcat if that helps any.
Old 12-30-2001, 07:38 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure that you don't have any loose objects anywhere near the front of the engine......you would be surprised what can get sucked into it. This includes your fingers and any other body parts.
Old 12-30-2001, 08:08 AM

Default don'ts

Don't forget to keep the fire extinquisher close by for the start ups.

Don't forget to keep the fuel pump battery charged.

Rod
Old 12-30-2001, 12:39 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,

I few additional thoughts. Makita makes a great blower to cool down the turbine which I highly recommend. It has sufficient air flow to tame most hot starts without the use of an extinguisher. While on the subject of extinguishers, be sure that you use a CO2 extinguisher ONLY. Make sure you have a fuel shut off valve between the pump and the tank. It is also very important to have a plan of action ready and rehearsed for fires and hot starts. Know the start procedures for your particular brand of turbine well, put your ear protection on and GO!

George Rada

Ps, also remember where you point that jet blast.
Old 12-30-2001, 01:47 PM

Default Turbines

I fly the real thing, one of the things we do is a 2 minute cool down at idle before shutdown. Less temperature/thermal shock to engine, especially if you've been flying at high throttle positions, when you shut down.
Old 12-30-2001, 05:17 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Default turbine stuff

Hey bro',

first and foremost know your start up and shut down procedures cold. keep a CO2 fire extinguisher at the ready and I don't mean attached to that cool looking start up caddy. Have it manned by your partner and ensure he's familiar with how to operate the gear. Wear hearing protection!!!!

keep spectators away from the turbine wheel arc. Best bet is to keep people behind you since you will be facing the engine anyway. point the exhaust in the safest direction and be courteous to other flyers.

cool the engine off according to the manufacturer's recommendations.

Wear hearing protection!!!!

have fun

Buck
Old 12-30-2001, 06:11 PM
My Feedback: (92)

Very soon on the RAM website we will be posting the new comprehensive manual for the RAM remote-start turbines. It has a lot of good stuff in it that can apply to any make. Also, we will post an 11 page "Tips" article I wrote. Again, lots of good stuff not only for RAM products but any turbine.

I'll post a notice when it is put on the website.
Old 12-30-2001, 06:35 PM

Great, thanks!
Old 12-31-2001, 06:08 AM
My Feedback: (37)

All great suggestions! One other thing that wasn't mentioned, John. Get in the habbit right away of pointing the front of your turbine into the wind, before start up and shutdown. It will help to keep the heat going out the back where it belongs.
Old 01-01-2002, 02:10 AM

Default Propane valve plumbing ??

Double check the plumbing of your gas valve, before you go out to the field for the first start. We have done it wrong at least twice that I know of. You can check it at home easy by filling the gas bottle, if it fills up and stops filling you’ve got it right. If propane/ PowerMax bubbles into the turbine you’ve got it plumbed backwards. No real hazard, just a pain to switch at the field in front of your buddies. If you have the brass valve which I’m sure you do the inbound gas / tank source, connects to the port closest to the solenoid, and the outbound / to motor, is the port farthest from the solenoid. I think the instructions kinda show it right but it must be a little confusing because you can hook it up backwards. The valve won’t leak when connected properly!
------- your going to love the way the Cat runs ------and easy starts, couldn’t be easier, just go to the flight line turn your radio on, and start up the only equipment you need is the fire extinguisher for safety.
Lee H. DeMary
AMA 36099
Old 01-01-2002, 02:29 AM

I would have it in my hands if UPS wouldnt have taken the day off! Wed. for sure!
Old 01-01-2002, 02:58 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default JetCat P-80

John:

I got mine from TGA about a week ago. Just waiting for Robart retracts and struts to arrive. Dying to start the turbine, but it is on 20 degrees here in Northern Ohio!

Still working on the F-20.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2002, 06:06 AM

they wont run in the cold?

Did you get a topcat too?

What color is it? blue or purple. I know the US ones are supposed to be blue but am wondering.
Old 01-01-2002, 04:09 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default JetCat P-80

I don't run in the cold! (although I'm going to my club's annual New Years Day fun fly in about an hour)

I got a composite Kangaroo from PlanesPLus, but got the JetCat from TGA.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:26 PM

Default Turbine don'ts

Don't leave the manual fuel valve on!!!!

Check out the "still burning" piece of tailpipe by my shoe!! Well, in this photo it doesn't show but in the big pic you can see the glow and the flame from the dark spot on the taxiway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1572_187.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1094  
Old 01-24-2002, 09:09 PM

Default Don'ts

For Jetcat users, don't replace the stock phone cables with shorter ones from Home Depot or Radio Shack!
Yea, I did it and smoke checked my ECU this past weekend. Sent it back to Jetcat USA for repair, hopefully it won't break the already broken bank. The Jetcat cables are wired 1-1, 2-2, ect and the regular cables have the pins reversed or something.
Lesson learned!
Old 01-24-2002, 09:18 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default dont's

1.) Don't use Festo fuel fittings unless absolutely necessary

2.) Dont kink the feedline from a BVM UAT

3.) Don't let a hatch or other removable assembly bend or kink a critical line (fuel or air, etc)

4.) Don't use a quick connect for fueling, use a positive shutoff or plug of some kind plug

5.) Don't use low grade switch harnesses

6.) Don't use grommets on servos in very fast jets
Old 01-24-2002, 10:43 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Default Turbine Don't

Don't be in a hurry to start it up without the proper training and plenty of dry runs to include emergency procedures and safety checks.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:14 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Festo Fever!

Where you do have to use a Festo, on the suction side of the fuel pump, do not have a severe bend in the tubing near the Festo. These fittings were initially intended for applications that are positive pressure (greater pressure inside than outside). When you have a negative pressure differential (as in the tubing before the pump) and a bend, the tubing can collapse enough to allow a steady stream of bubbles in, past the O-ring. Ask me how I know! Spent two weeks repairing due to this two years ago.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:47 PM

Default Fuel lines

Purge all fuel lines and prime all lines before hooking up to motor and anytime you have had the motor out for any reason.

This will greatly lessen time the motor is without lube in the start up procedure,and the motor will start very quickly.

Have started our P-120 when outside temp was 18F-101f no problem and have changed it in altitude from 2300'-5000' with no adjustment of anything needed to start the motor.

Rolling out.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thermal stress.

Just a quick note adding to Mr. Wildcat's comment about thermal stresses.

In KJ-66 based micro turbines, often the coolest running temperature is actually in the mid-throttle range. Exactly where the minimum is depends on many design features.

Full Throttle:
At full throttle there's a whole lotta' heat being generated in the combustion chamber. Simple...

Idle:
At idle however, the mass flow of air through the engine is much less, resulting in less cooling of the combustion gasses. In combination, some engine designs may be affected by the gravitational effects on fuel in the injector ring, causing increased fuel flow at the lower needles and less at the top. (poor combustion pattern...) This usually comes into effect at lower case pressures only and can be prevented with a well-engineered fuel injector system.

There should be a point where the increasing mass flow and temperature create a minimum temp somewhere near half throttle. The Temp vs RPM graph usually follows a parabolic pattern from there on....

General rule, run it up to half throttle before shutting down. Check with your engine rep first of coarse.

Later,
Kelly W
Old 01-27-2002, 08:04 PM

Default Do's & Don'ts Jet Cats

John HV There are many things to learn about operation of these engines One I noticed that no mentioned was when filling power Max hold the fill canister upright when filling the pick-up is in the bottom of the canister when full it wont make a lot of difference but as the can gets low it will fill with vapor not liquid fuel Bob Wilcox Jet Cat USA and us do not recomend using the metal fuel fill valve that comes with the engine it will suck air bubbles and the engine will quit We have a special Festo to use or you can put in a Ball valve as a stop valve
When fueling follow Dean Lasseks A-10 flier recomendations and install aother ball valve in fuel line between tanks and fuel pump fill fuel cells with this closed this will prevent hot starts any other questions please contact us Don B
Miniature Turbine Sales & service
[email protected]
Old 01-27-2002, 11:17 PM

Default How about some turbine don'ts

DON'T LEAVE IT AT HOME GO FLY IT AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN!!

jason
Old 01-27-2002, 11:53 PM

Yeah, if you have got the gear use it....Dont let the planes be wheel barrows
Old 01-17-2007, 01:57 PM
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: How about some turbine dont's

don't store smoke oil in same type containers as you do gassoline ... i accidentally filled my smoke tank with gassoline once .... started wondering why it wasn't smoking up ( this was a ground test run of the system ) and was terrified when i smelled what it was !! fortunately it did not light up !!!

Voy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.