Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Starting problem with Artes turbine?? >

Starting problem with Artes turbine??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Starting problem with Artes turbine??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem with Artes turbine??

Anyone, besides me, having starting problems with Artes turbines?
Old 05-11-2005, 10:20 PM

Default RE: Starting problem with Artes turbine??

Rcand,
Can you tell us what the syptoms are? maybe its worth posting the question on the manafacurers forum at the top of the rc jet page.
i am sure Artes are ready to help.

Rgds
Lee
Old 05-12-2005, 04:50 AM

Hi Rcand,

Which turbine do you use?
What's your starting problem?
My Titanium Eagle starts great.
I think you can contact them directly. They will provide useful information.
Or you can state your starting problem in the forum so that we can discuss with each other.

Best redards,
Alex
Old 05-12-2005, 08:01 AM
My Feedback: (3)

I have spoken to the factory on your engine and they have told me that after re-adjusting the glow plug perameter on your ecu, they have had 30 uninterrupted continuous starts on your turbine. If you install this turbine per instructions, and do not mess with the ecu, these engines run very well and start every time.
If you need any further help dont hesitate to contact Eric at Artes, he is a great help and handles any issues at light speed.

Hope this helps,
Dave
Old 05-12-2005, 08:29 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Rick. . .

This forum is a great place to get ideas which for the most part support what you already know or what we have informed you of directly from the manufacturing facility Interpolated into the knowledge you already have may bring you the peace of mind you are seeking as you get to know our turbine.

During our conversations, we have explored so many areas at your request, I have started taking notes. If you are still experiencing what you believe to be unsatisfactory "starts", I will at no charge return the engine to the plant and again have them recheck everything. Your concern that the ECU did not record our tests in the number of cycles has already been explained and is documented. Our success in each of the start attemps is as well, documented.

Additionally, during our conversation yesterday, I reiterated my offere to return the turbine at " no charge to you" for additional inspection, but you declined. I ask that you read the manual again, as our ECU and it's relationship to the turbine and performance differs from the other turbines you mentioned you have experience with. Our installation is similar, but not identical to other turbines. Readings off the Data Terminal as well, may differ with those which you may be used to.

As you know, we (Felipe and myself) attended Best in the West just a few weeks ago. Our mission there was to "meet and greet" as well as support the Artes jet flyers in attendance. We encountered two start issues. Both were installation problems (one at the incorrect advice of another jet pilot) which when corrected. . . What do you know. . . .starts right the first time. We assited with a starter motor failure which we replaced at no charge as well as an ill-rumored issue with another turbine which brought Felipe back to the site on Sunday and was corrected within several minutes. We support our customers. We are here as a team to assist you.

Last, I will be in your area in two weeks. If your issue(s) still exist, I will assist you any way I can. Your bench testing is most important and will be successful to our mutual satisfaction!

Best regards,
Eric Clapp
JetArtes Gulf Coast
www.jetartes.com
[email protected]
Old 05-12-2005, 04:28 PM

this may not be his problem but just in case..... being new to this artes installation, i accidently left out the restrictor in the propane line and had some starting problems.. eric gave me a restictor and it lites right off now every time.. thnx again eric .. u da man..
Old 05-13-2005, 01:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Daytona kid, what is a ristrictor? Even I am having problems in my propane line and maybe the restrictor is the solution? Is it a one way valve?
Old 05-13-2005, 03:50 AM

Hi Anurag,

Many happy returns....(May17th), yours is only seven days away from mine, mate.

Restrictors (Robart makes some good ones) restrict the flow of propane to the engine for easier gas ignition. With the robart ones, you can experiment by drilling out small orifices and increase sizes as you go, until you obtain ignitions on every attempt.

What engine are you using?

Chris
Old 05-13-2005, 07:16 AM
My Feedback: (80)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, I have owned 4 Artes turbines over the last year. Three Superbees and one Eagle. I probably have more time running the Bee and Eagle than most. I like to fly and put time on my motors. They all run and start GREAT, Stick UP & stick DOWN and they are off and running. Nothing but good things to say about the motors..

Doug

Banned from PRADO guy!!
Old 05-13-2005, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the birthday wishes Chris. Much appreciated. Are you May 10th? or May 24th? Are the robart restrictors the ones that are used on retract lines? I have tons of those lying around. How does that help? The engine in question is a behotec j66hp. Quite a handful to start I must admit. I am sure I with some adjusting in the gas parameters I can get better starts. I am trying to get it right.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:10 PM

the restrictor goes in the propane line right before the motor.. it is a very small piece off metal that goes inside the line, with a needle id hole in it, not a oneway valve.. if you don't have it you will have problems for sure.. too much propane is bad.. what are you useing to fill from? the large coleman promax cans work great,, but must be at least 1/4 full and above to be good enough..
ORIGINAL: Ragz

Daytona kid, what is a ristrictor? Even I am having problems in my propane line and maybe the restrictor is the solution? Is it a one way valve?
Old 05-13-2005, 01:56 PM

It's the 24th Anurag,

You can also use one of the Festo regulated valves to help you reduce or increase the flow of propane to the engine. The J66 should start easily with the Projet ECU. What problems do you face when starting?

Chris
Old 05-13-2005, 02:52 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Hi,

It would be interesting to hear what problems you are encountering. I am new to turbines and have chosen the Eagle as my first jet engine because of all the great report I have read over the last year or so. I had trouble staring my Eagle initially. It turned out that my transmitter is slightly older and I can't adjust the trim end-points (or at least I don't know how). When I started my start sequence the ECU read my trim up point as being 0%. I could prime with no problem, but couldn't initiate the start sequence. Ire-read the instructions and paid closed attention to the read-out I was getting from the hand-held. I notice it would show "Ready" at about 60% of the throttle trim. I then pushed the stick up and then back to idle, per the start instructions and IT STARTED!!

I have marked the spot on my TX and I have started the Eagle without a hitch with and without the hand-held read out plugged in. I have installed it into my plane and will be test flying it next weekend (this weekend they are calling for rain). It gives me another week to visualize that "perfect" test flight.

The Tx I am using is a JR 10x. If anyone knows how to change the throttle trim end-points, I would appreciate the help.

Cary
Old 05-13-2005, 04:47 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Cary,

You should have no proplems with the 10X. Make sure your throttle channel is not reversed and perform the ECU throttle learn function and you should be fine.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:25 PM
My Feedback: (45)

A little off the subject here, but still regarding the Artes super bee. As the owners of this turbine know, it builds most of its thrust and pressure towards the end of its RPM range. My Question is, can you use a throttle curve (like in a heli) to achieve a proportional throttle curve, ie. 25% stick = 3.5-4 lbs thrust, 50% stick = 7lbs thrust and so on. If yes what % values are you using at 25%, 50%, and 75%. Thanks in advance John.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:21 AM

I use on board gas tank for propane and use a small LPG tank (liquid petro gas, cooking gas in india) to fill it. I will try using the robart restrictors (the ones i have are air lines restrictors) just before the engine. My starting problems are surely due to incorrect settings on the ECU. I am using the PROJET HORNET v 5.2. I am getting a hot start each time I initiate the start up seq. The starter motor takes abt 5 attempts to ignite the propane, and when it does so, there is a huge flame before spool up. My experience with turbines is not much, so I am trying to tweak the settings one by one. I reduced the propane flow from 70% to 60%, but the result is the same. I think problem lies elsewhere. Last week, during the end of the testing sessions, the turbine would start in 4-5 spool attempts as usual (sic) and then shut down due to "overtemp" of abt 1100C. I am ready to pull my hair off now.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:35 AM

The problem is, you are filling the combustion chamber with too much gas, then, when ignition occurs there is a lot of propane to ignite. Surely you need to decrease the amount of gas getting into the engine. Keep the glow plug on the top of the engine for the first attempts and try to start without the on-board tank, as this releases the gas much faster than normal regulated tanks. Make sure you have a bright orange glow in the glow plug and that at least two to three loops of element protrude from the body. Also, from what I have seen with Projet Eagle ECU's, you need to calibrate the pump, with the engine running. Do you need to do so with the Hornet as well?

Chris
Old 05-14-2005, 08:14 AM

Chris, the plug is at 12'o clock. The coils are really glowing bright and atleast 2-3 are out as recommended. The hornet needs a pump calibration as well, which was done. For some reason, my projet propane valve seems to be jammed since this morning. I am stumped. It was working until yesterday evening. What can go wrong with a propane valve? Its not ticking and there is no gas moving thru it at all. Could it be dirt? And how do I figure it out?
Old 05-14-2005, 09:06 AM
My Feedback: (80)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has happened to me before. Pull the line from the valve and give it a shot of WD-40 straight into the valve and shock it with a freshly charged 6V cell. If it clicks it is OK. This has worked for me many times.

DF
Old 05-14-2005, 09:18 AM

Will try the WD40 trick. But it seems to have no continuity when checked with a digital multimeter. I think its dead. Are these valves replaceable with other manufacturers valves. For example, can I use a jetcat valve that I have in place of the projet? At the end of the day, the ECU controls the pulsing, and the valve is just an on/off switch??????
Old 05-15-2005, 12:27 AM

You should differentiate the problem is cause by malfunction of the propane valve or propane valve function at the ECU.
Just connect a 4.8v battary to the valve & blow air through the gas pipe.
If you could blow air through the pipe, the problem may arise from ECU & vice versa.
In my experience, malfunction of valve is rare.
Artes turbine should come with Fadec ECU & which is easy to use.

Best regards,
Alex.