Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 MY REGAL EAGLE ND OS 77 >

MY REGAL EAGLE ND OS 77

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

MY REGAL EAGLE ND OS 77

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY REGAL EAGLE ND OS 77

i just got my regal eagle from a local builder and it has a os 77 pusher configuration.. i have read that the pusher configuration isn't as powerful as the tractor type... it also has a six inch fan.. i was wonderin how much top end speed this setup will give me and if i could ever just flip the fan assembly around and add a new pipe to make it into a tractor....also what type of fuel should i run in the engine....what percent nitro and what type of oil, castor or synthetic? thanx for your help guys..
Old 08-19-2005, 12:39 PM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: MY REGAL EAGLE ND OS 77

Run a good 5% fuel like Wildcat Jet-A or PowerMaster.

The fan can't be turned around to make it a pusher.

Back when speed runs were in, I managed to get mine clocked at 106 mph after a split-s and dive. Right after my pass, a 1/10 scale B-17 made a straight and level pass at 109 mph.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:20 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Red,

The pusher will make for better grass field operation. A tractor fan needs good ducting to be effective. I have seen one TGA Eagle with a pusher which was really really fast. The owner simply thinks he got lucky. He didn't do anything different to the plane. It was a real screamer I figure around 125-130 mph or so.

Mark M.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:51 PM
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same setup in my reagle eagle and with no retracts comming out of a large splitS it was raidared with a club members gun at 125 and 124 back to back. This aircraft has been flying since Oct. 1991. I have had lots of fun with it and is still the only fan currently flying at our feild. It still gets a ooh and aaah frome the spectaters
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68039.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	312973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12955.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	312974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93661.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	312975  
Old 08-21-2005, 05:01 PM
My Feedback: (10)

best advice i have...leave it alone and learn to fly a jet... you dont need a 200 mph jet to learn on a bp regal eagle is a perfect jet to learn to fly 100 to 130 is plenty fast ... fly it for a while then if you want to make changes at least you know how the jet responded before and know how to respond to the jet when something changes... the 6 inch byron fan has a ton of torque to help you if you get into trouble ..............as for fuel i fly all my fans with byron fuel 5% nitro with 18% oil syn. thats my nickels worth keep em level donniercjet
Old 08-26-2005, 02:17 PM

Hi,

I am looking into getting this regal eagle model as my first DF jet, its a stupid question i have, i just noted that this model dosent have rudders on either one of V-stabs!, juss want to know how would you YAW it in crosswind situations?...other then that V-fins dont look scale type!, any reason why?....I dont wann be smartass but something i nothiced since i im into scale aircrafts....

Other question i have is, would i be able take off and land on grass runways with my eagle if i decided to get it?, and what engine and Fan unit should i look into since i want single engine set up.....

Thnks,
Sammy
Old 08-26-2005, 02:52 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Sammy,

Fins on an Eagle should be vertical not "V". Rudders may be added if you want. However, most I've seen and even my own do not have them. Yes, they do help in cross wind. Mine will fly off of most smooth grass fields. It doesn't like the thicker grasses or fields which are wavy.

Engine should be OS .91 VRDF. Fan for tractor version should be Dynamax or Ramtec. Fan for pusher is Byron.

Keep the plane light when you build it. Try to balance without the need for any lead.

Mark M.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:08 PM

My last Regal Eagle had functional rudders on it and they were pretty much useless. If building another one I would not go to the trouble of doing it.

With an OS.91 and a Dynamax fan you should be able to get off the grass in 150' - 200'.

This one has an OS.91 and a Dynamax fan / JMP inflight needle / JMP tuned pipe / Spring Air retracts / Avonds struts / Compact unibrakes wheel brakes

It weighed just under 12# and was the best grass field DF I ever owned. I sold it about a year ago

Name:	Lj22810.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	315437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26485.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	315438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40464.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	315439  
Old 08-26-2005, 11:35 PM

Hi,

Gary your Eagle looks supereb, i am really impressed with its scale looks, well we have severe cross wind problem at our field, we constanly fly our planes in crosswind and sometimes it reaches 25Kmh+ while in the air!, i have landed my planes in that kind of crosswind situation but they all needed almost 3/4 to full rudder at times to keep them in stright line on runway...so thats why i asked about rudder not being there...

Our field's runway is about 200' in length and about 50' wide, so taking off south is not a problem but taking off north is different story!, specially in crosswinds...we have 3' high bush and death valley right after that, so if F15 stalled it wont be good though!...

I will definately make my Eagle as much scale as possible, i like it that way...

Sammy
Old 08-26-2005, 11:44 PM

Sammy,

Thanks.

As you can see from the pics, adding functional rudders is no big deal. I used metal gear mini servos and installed them as close as I could to the rudders. You might want to try increasing the size of your rudders.

I spent quite a few hours working on the tail cone area to make it look more like an F-15. I used 2 fiberglass tailcones that Tom Cook (JMP) used to sell for his Starfire kit.

Good luck
Old 08-27-2005, 01:20 AM

Hi Gary,

I will let you know once i get the Jet, i am sure i would need you expertise on my jet to help get my model in the air, i will be doing my model in Royal Saudi Airforce scheme, what do you think?...In low wiz gray overall with only saudi script below cockpit and RSAF roundals on wings and insignia on tail...

As for rudders, yes for sure i will have increse there cord and height to componsate with crosswinds on our field...Gary what about whaeels, what size?, usually guys use 3" wheels on the field, what size would you recommend...

Other thing i noticed is that H-stabs are not fully pivoting!, why is that, i believe that real jet has full stabs pivoting!!, could full pivoting feature be added to this model and how would it be in air!...

Cheers,
Sammy
Old 08-27-2005, 02:14 AM

Sammy

Be careful not to get caught up in trying to make the Regal Eagle into a scale F-15. You can make some mods that will make it look a lot better than most Regal Eagles, but it will never be a scale F-15.

Since you are going to be flying off of grass, weight is going to be a concern. Adding scale-like horizontal stabs will add more weight on to the tail area that will have to be compensated for by adding more nose weight to balance. You'll be better off if you just build the basic airframe the way it was designed and then just add a few modifications to make it look better.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:59 AM
My Feedback: (22)

A few more pictures of another one --
Byron, OS91, Springair retracts, and basic servos. flys great. Sold it a couple years ago.

Jack

Name:	Rp42613.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	315734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12637.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	315735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66667.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	315736  
Old 08-27-2005, 11:26 AM

ORIGINAL: grbaker

Run a good 5% fuel like Wildcat Jet-A or PowerMaster.

The fan can't be turned around to make it a pusher.

Back when speed runs were in, I managed to get mine clocked at 106 mph after a split-s and dive. Right after my pass, a 1/10 scale B-17 made a straight and level pass at 109 mph.
Gary,

You sure you're not thinking about the Sport Eagle I bought from you. I RADAR'd this plane at an average (up/downwid) of 105 mph. The large tailpipe opening is probably the reason for the slow speed, but climbing out with a 60 degree positive angle of attack from TO with a DF is kind of impressive. I still have the plane, it has some minor damage from a landing accident, got caught up in some grass clippings while rolling out which flipped the plane over and cracked the wing loose from the fuse.

Rich

P.S. The O.S. 91 backplate, drumvalve and carb really do wake up the OS77. I flew the plane with the stock setup and also with the OS91 induction system. A definate improvement in performance.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:55 PM

You sure you're not thinking about the Sport Eagle I bought from you
Hey Richard, glad to hear the Sport Eagle is still around. No, I never took the Sport Eagle to Austin and that is where I was clocked at 106 mph. I was also clocked at 9 mph for the slow flight award and thought I had it won, but was beat by Bill Fowler with a 6 mph pass with his Byron F-16.

That was my first Regal Eagle and was OS.77/Byron powered. I never built an OS.91/Byron powered Regal as the rest of the ones I built used Dynamax fans and OS.91s. I imagine the OS.91/Byron powered Regals are faster than my OS.77 powered one.

The O.S. 91 backplate, drumvalve and carb really do wake up the OS77
That is the way to go if you are using the OS.77. But you have to have the aftermarket con rod because the stock one will break. The motor you got with the Sport Eagle has the RPM aftermarket rod.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:30 AM

Hi Gary,

I hear ya, no i was just asking about H-stabs since they dident looked scale, but once i get my plane i will fix up nose and V-stabs so they would look like your one in above article...Seems like V and H stabs are made of 1/4" balsa sheet!, is that how they are or they have are framed up and sheeted with 1/16" balsa skin...
Old 08-28-2005, 12:36 AM

is that how they are or they have are framed up and sheeted with 1/16" balsa skin...
Both are balsa sheet, but I don't remember the size. I think they were smaller than 1/4" though. The vertical fins are thinner than the horizontals, if I remember right.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:01 AM

Gary,

What about the fuselage, how are the bulkheads and fiberglass ducting, are these items included in the kit or they have to be built by builder?, same goes for engine mount. What type of landing gears can be mounted to have scale look and function...I likw to know as much as possible before hand so once i get i would know what to expect and what not too...

Sammy
Old 08-28-2005, 05:45 AM

Sammy

Bob has changed the Regal Eagle kit several times over the years. The last kit I built, came with no molded parts except for the canopy. But I just checked his website and he states that his new kits contain no wood but a lot of molded parts.

KIT DESCRIPTION
BASIC BALSA CONSTRUCTION.
FULL-SIZE PLAN.
FULL-SIZE TEMPLATE SHEET FOR BALSA PARTS.
PLYWOOD PARTS PRE-CUT TO SHAPE.
CLEAR MOLDED CANOPY.
MOLDED TOP FAIRING.
MOLDED TWIN TAILCONE.
HATCH.
REAR DECK.
BOTTOM BELLY PAN.
THRUST TUBE ADJUSTABLE TO ALL FANS.
MOLDED INLETS.
FAN HOUSING.
MOLDED ENGINE CAP.
COMPLETE INSTRUCTION MANUAL WITH ILLUSTRATIONS.
TRACTOR AND PUSHER FAN INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS.
VIDEO INCLUDED: SHOWS COMPLETE, STEP-BY-STEP ASSEMBLY OF THE REGAL EAGLE JET;
AS WELL AS, FLIGHT FOOTAGE AND SETTING UP YOUR JET FOR YOUR FIRST FLIGHT.

To keep the price down, we supply a Template Sheet for the balsa parts. They are easy to cut and you supply the balsa. Since the balsa used are standard sizes, most modelers have alot of the balsa in their shop; saving them even more money - on their first jet.
All of my Regal Eagles except the last one, had SpringAir HD retracts in them with 3/16" wire struts. I attached Robart struts to the wire. My last one had the Avonds modified Spring-Air retracts and his struts for the DF version of his F-15 kit. I had to shorten all of the struts to get them to work in the Regal Eagle. The only reason I used them is because I had them lying around.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:35 AM

Gary,

Wow this is sort of builder type of project, specially if one has to cut and glue in balsa bulkheads, very iteresting, i mbet its going to be alot of fun!, now for the way i want my models set up, do i need to configure pusher fan or tractor fan since i will be using it primarily for training off the grass runway mostly....what do you think, how much of runway length will i need to this off the grond with 77 Df installed or even 91 Df...and what kind of speeds initially am i looking at what throttle settings?....

Sammy